Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Replace faulty clutch fan. (Hayden is on my Crap list, might have cost me a motor). Modified it for a second spring position- a heavy duty position for times like triple digit temps when pulling a trailer up Steens Mountain at max gross vehicle weight. Did not like 245 degrees last week on the old 4.7. Also replace JKS track bar bushings. They should have not gone south so quick, found the welding bead on one side interfering with the bushing seating fully. That explains it. A little angle grinder time and good to go. I'd have thought better of JKS. Oh well, my battle with crap manufacturing and faulty parts continues. Also added alumaseal to the 6 month old radiator. When cold one of the tank seams leaks. Time to order my 3rd radiator.......
have you looked into replacing the oil in the fan clutch with a heavier cst oil weight? Not sure it's possible on your fan clutch but maybe worth a look.
Great idea! But unfortunately it is a sealed unit with the case halves crimped together. Getting a new clutch that actually worked helped (the valve froze on the old one) and a slight change on the clocking of the spring helps it come on sooner. Don't let anyone tell you the 5 blade fan is the problem on these Jeeps. It moves some serious air when the clutch wants it to!

Reactions: MarcoM

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Installed my new 175w solar panel, hoping Roam will ship my awnings someday... got some nice billet aluminum Fourtreks mounts for one of the 2. I had too much weight on the roof of the truck, the factory rack was making all kinds of terrible sounds off road and my fuel economy has been terrible. Sold the 8' ARB awning and bought 2 5' Roam awnings. 1 will go on the factory rack, the other will go on a rack I'm going to build around the softopper. Better distributed weight and with both open I'll have 10'x8' of shade as compared to the 8x8 I had.

Attachments

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Picked up my truck from the shop. Have to order parts for the front end and bring it back. Someone left a card asking if I wanted to sell. I say no but my wife is trying to get me too.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Replace faulty clutch fan. (Hayden is on my Crap list, might have cost me a motor). Modified it for a second spring position- a heavy duty position for times like triple digit temps when pulling a trailer up Steens Mountain at max gross vehicle weight. Did not like 245 degrees last week on the old 4.7. Also replace JKS track bar bushings. They should have not gone south so quick, found the welding bead on one side interfering with the bushing seating fully. That explains it. A little angle grinder time and good to go. I'd have thought better of JKS. Oh well, my battle with crap manufacturing and faulty parts continues. Also added alumaseal to the 6 month old radiator. When cold one of the tank seams leaks. Time to order my 3rd radiator.......
D'oh... very sorry to hear that on the fan clutch AND new radiator being trash - and perhaps costing you a motor. Perhaps it's time to order the radiator and e-fan setup I went with? Of course, mine isn't proven yet anyway since my project snowballed. I really would like to get it out and test while we still have triple-digit temps...

-TJ

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

D'oh... very sorry to hear that on the fan clutch AND new radiator being trash - and perhaps costing you a motor. Perhaps it's time to order the radiator and e-fan setup I went with? Of course, mine isn't proven yet anyway since my project snowballed. I really would like to get it out and test while we still have triple-digit temps...

-TJ
99 electric/mechanical fan setup cooled very well once the fan clutch was working, but you could see it in the gas mileage drop. So there is something to be said about the all electric fan setup for efficiency.
But one note about what did work- with the mechanical fan not working, the electric did allow me to limp along once I understood the nature of the issue. So I was not stranded on Steens Mountain when I finally diagnosed the issue.

Bad parts suck, but I should have stopped to diagnose the issue in Reno instead of at first assuming triple digit temps and max load were just too much. Instead I waited until I was way out in the wilderness when things became unmanageable to finally dig in and find out what the issue was. Group dynamics, excitement for the trip to start, and such overcame common sense. Eventually I will get the write up on my build thread with more mechanical details.

Either way, I will get a 2 row all aluminum radiator with a aluminum shroud and 16 inch fan. Radiator will go in for sure, and I will decide to keep stock electric/mechanical or go all electric. As for the engine, it is still running pretty well. A little noisier at start up and a slight clatter at about 2500 rpm if you really listen. Sounds like cam follower tensioners (ie "lifters") are end of life. Luckily the head gaskets and valve seats are holding for the moment.

But all that is on hold. The brown Santa truck should be delivering my Howell EFI for the 76 Cherokee tonight. Tired of screwing with the carb/smog system every 2 years for smog check. I can drive the old beast back and forth to work with a for sale sign on it while I save up for the WJ and Tahoe repairs.

Reactions: Shamu

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

99 electric/mechanical fan setup cooled very well once the fan clutch was working, but you could see it in the gas mileage drop. So there is something to be said about the all electric fan setup for efficiency.
But one note about what did work- with the mechanical fan not working, the electric did allow me to limp along once I understood the nature of the issue. So I was not stranded on Steens Mountain when I finally diagnosed the issue.

Bad parts suck, but I should have stopped to diagnose the issue in Reno instead of at first assuming triple digit temps and max load were just too much. Instead I waited until I was way out in the wilderness when things became unmanageable to finally dig in and find out what the issue was. Group dynamics, excitement for the trip to start, and such overcame common sense. Eventually I will get the write up on my build thread with more mechanical details.

Either way, I will get a 2 row all aluminum radiator with a aluminum shroud and 16 inch fan. Radiator will go in for sure, and I will decide to keep stock electric/mechanical or go all electric. As for the engine, it is still running pretty well. A little noisier at start up and a slight clatter at about 2500 rpm if you really listen. Sounds like cam follower tensioners (ie "lifters") are end of life. Luckily the head gaskets and valve seats are holding for the moment.

But all that is on hold. The brown Santa truck should be delivering my Howell EFI for the 76 Cherokee tonight. Tired of screwing with the carb/smog system every 2 years for smog check. I can drive the old beast back and forth to work with a for sale sign on it while I save up for the WJ and Tahoe repairs.
Shoot, after you get that EFI on there you might not need to drive it long with the for-sale sign, just send me a pic and I'm in trouble!

-TJ

Reactions: JimBill

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Shoot, after you get that EFI on there you might not need to drive it long with the for-sale sign, just send me a pic and I'm in trouble!

-TJ
I will refrain until after you get some seat time in the WJ - so you have a clearer head lol. Maybe I can drive it up when I pick up the dana 30 Vari-Lock someday. Preferably in winter, it has no AC......

CG87

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Glasgow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
Maybe not today, but tomorrow. Rock Hard 4x4 Skids. Punched my oil pan the other day. No Joy, wallet empty.

CG87

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Glasgow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
Today I used my rig for Forest Service trail clean up day. People in the area hunt beer bottles in a few spots. ( ferocious beasts, those bottles!) A local high school water polo team helped out and I packed out all the trash on my rack. So, now I think I need a bigger rack...you know, for the good of the world? A Gobi stealth perhaps? ...Maybe a new OME suspension kit install and a new ARB bumper and I could really make a difference in the world!

Note OB love on the truck. As for the very very steep hill...no, I didn't even come close to making it 20'.
Love my OME suspension, pushes close to 3", can be done at the house. Instructions are good enough. Overlanding setup OME can't be beat, their new kit includes the steering stabilizer, moves it above the sway bar on the jeep anyway. Best Springs you can get, look at their stats. No sag ever.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Started tinkering with the Howell Fuel injection install on the 76 Cherokee. Got 02 sensor bung welded in, searched all over town for 9/16-18 plugs for the air injection system. Found grade 8 bolts to cut down. Got 3 done before running out of sawsall blades. Got drivers side out and plugged. Last air tube in the far back passenger side, the hardest to get to, broke. So soaking exhaust bolts for manifold removal and now in search of gaskets and such. I have a feeling the 6 to 12 hour expected install time will take me a few weekends!

Attachments

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Day 2 of Howell fuel injection install. Removed exhaust manifold, extracted broken bolt, installed plugs in the air injection ports. 98 degrees in the shop and 115 deg outside when I called it quits for the day. Figure I will take the other side manifold off and R&R the gaskets, since I'm ordering gaskets anyway. And what little I know about EFI, exhaust leaks bad before O2 sensor.

Attachments

JoelIII

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

Since the noise is more frequent now, had the wife turn the wheels left and right a bunch while I was under the truck to investigate the noise. Still can't locate exact component but its either the lower ball joint (most likely), or tie rod end on the driver side... can't tell since they're right next to each other but that's good enough for now. Its annoying that I replaced all those components less than a year ago but Toyota problems I suppose. Already got new parts on order so just waiting till it all comes in.

On Columbus Day I'm planning to do a clay bar and multi stage wax job to get a protective layer for winter. Plus I haven't waxed the truck at all this year, been really busy as an "essential personnel"!

Sinocai

Rank IV

Member III

London, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Iaconis
Member #

Well, after three months of waiting and calling and emailing I should finally have my winch by tomorrow (hopefully I didn’t just jinx it).
Then I get to wait on my Baja Design lights that fedex, naturally, lost.
I’m not having the best luck with orders of late :/
What kind of which did ya get?

Sinocai

Rank IV

Member III

London, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Iaconis
Member #

Since the noise is more frequent now, had the wife turn the wheels left and right a bunch while I was under the truck to investigate the noise. Still can't locate exact component but its either the lower ball joint (most likely), or tie rod end on the driver side... can't tell since they're right next to each other but that's good enough for now. Its annoying that I replaced all those components less than a year ago but Toyota problems I suppose. Already got new parts on order so just waiting till it all comes in.

On Columbus Day I'm planning to do a clay bar and multi stage wax job to get a protective layer for winter. Plus I haven't waxed the truck at all this year, been really busy as an "essential personnel"!
Funny you say winter....its 5 degrees C here in the Soo

Reactions: JoelIII