Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
My wife and I are perfecting our sleep inside mode. We are typically hammock campers but SHE LIKES ME! and wants to sleep next to me. I bought a 1" memory foam topper but it is still a little View attachment 153619hard on the floor of the rig. We have camping sleeping pads. On top of the foam I think that will work.
Nice and cozy in there.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Annnnnd...No more cargo tray.
View attachment 153547
On my WJ I plan to do something similar to this and already have the seat bottoms out with a temporary platform made. But if you already have the seat bottoms out why not pull out the backs also, allowing you to build in more storage? My thought is if the bottoms are out and you don't pack them with you on trips then the backs are no good to have either since you can't flip them up for someone to sit there. Also the backs are around 4"-6" deep, that's just wasted space if they just stay down all the time.
My seat is a 60/40 split like yours so my plan is to build 2 boxes, one for each side of the split bench allowing me to put one or the other sides back in if I ever need to. The box would be kind of an "L" shape with part being in the foot well for the rear seats and then up and over where the seat backs lay when folded down. I would probably put in a divider or trays so each box has multiple compartments. Not sure if something like this would work in your rig but just an idea I've been kicking around that I thought I would share.

Reactions: Brett L.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Reactions: PNWInfernoPro

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

On my WJ I plan to do something similar to this and already have the seat bottoms out with a temporary platform made. But if you already have the seat bottoms out why not pull out the backs also, allowing you to build in more storage? My thought is if the bottoms are out and you don't pack them with you on trips then the backs are no good to have either since you can't flip them up for someone to sit there. Also the backs are around 4"-6" deep, that's just wasted space if they just stay down all the time.
My seat is a 60/40 split like yours so my plan is to build 2 boxes, one for each side of the split bench allowing me to put one or the other sides back in if I ever need to. The box would be kind of an "L" shape with part being in the foot well for the rear seats and then up and over where the seat backs lay when folded down. I would probably put in a divider or trays so each box has multiple compartments. Not sure if something like this would work in your rig but just an idea I've been kicking around that I thought I would share.
You mean like this? I've got a guy that would like to purchase my sliding tray and it turns out that the little storage cubby behind the back seats and that carpet piece are part of the sliding system. After looking at my pics I came to the same conclusion as you so out it came. I've got some sound deadening arriving tomorrow that I'm going to apply from the rear footwells all the way to the back.
IMG_20200515_081327.jpgIMG_20200515_081336.jpg

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

You mean like this? I've got a guy that would like to purchase my sliding tray and it turns out that the little storage cubby behind the back seats and that carpet piece are part of the sliding system. After looking at my pics I came to the same conclusion as you so out it came. I've got some sound deadening arriving tomorrow that I'm going to apply from the rear footwells all the way to the back.
View attachment 153979View attachment 153980
Yep! you're already on it... My cargo area is more raised than the seat area compared to yours. If i wanted to have it flat to sleep on and have some head room I would only be able to build something where the rear seats are. But it looks like you could raise yours up some and have tons of storage.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
View attachment 153979View attachment 153980
Looks Nice!

Reactions: Brett L.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

New goodies came in and I sent a query to Dometic about their new camping products that are on pre-order.

New Smittybilt tailgate hinge and tire carrier. Its aluminum but weighs about 50lbs when mounted. Shipped it was 58lbs. Holds up to a 37" tire ( I run 35's) and I am fabbing a mount for my Rotopax fuel can to mount between the tire and the passenger tail light.

Dometic sent an email with all of their new camping equipment. Lounge chairs, camp chair, kitchen storage and counters, side and eating tables. Oddly enough, there are no specs for any of the products sizes when open/closed, weight capacity, etc. I just bought a new roll up aluminum side table for prep/eating when I travel solo. Chinese piece that is surprising robust and measures 32" T x 6"W while rolled up. 32" square by 36-42" tall, adjustable. WIll store nicely on the roof rack.

The Dometic kit on preorder is only about 10-15% more in cost. I'd rather support Dometic with a great warranty than an unknown shipped from China.

Reactions: Shamu

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I painted and installed a roof rack that I fabricated for my XJ. I finished the rear portion and will be making a front rack so together I can carry 2 kayaks. As is it's good for boxes, traction boards, etc. I cut up a chain link fence gate, welded in some tube to get the right dimensions and 2 lengths of etrack to give it a flat surface and lots of latch points.

20-05-16 1.jpg20-05-16 2.jpg20-03-18 4.JPG

Last edited: