Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Stuck at home with idle hands..... OK so the big WJ cooling mod is basically done with a few details to complete. One detail is to add an override on/off switch for the fan controller. I didn't have it in me for a big project of finding a good bulkhead in the firewall and tearing the dash apart to route the wires. The electric fan is for back up anyway, so I had me an idear......just put it in the engine compartment (KISS principle). I can override it on if I know I will be in 4 low, towing, or whatever that day by opening the hood and fuse panel, and flicking the switch, and easily turned off for a water crossing if need be. Otherwise I will just leave it in auto and the controller can do the thinking.

I found a good spot in the fuse box. Good enough for me for the time being. I always can just hit the AC botton as well. A little plastic tool box from my garage sale pile sacrificed itself for the cause.

P_20200320_130325.jpg P_20200320_150812.jpg
P_20200320_130423.jpg

Last edited:

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

It was a nice day so I kept going. Installed the stainless steel diamond plate brush guard on the Tahoe. It was made out of about 30 pounds of thick stainless, but beggars couldn't be choosers on the material on hand when it was made. Drilling the 5 bolt holes was fun, especially figuring the locations. It will easily support the weight of the front end. Much better than the plastic factory piece, I suppose I am now safe from Zombie brains or sage brush from punching the plastic and getting into the serpentine system. Now the factory engine skid looks, well, inadequate.........

P_20200302_185441_LL(1).jpg P_20200320_174833.jpg

No idea what I am going to do the rest of the weekend.....

Last edited:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Due to my ditch light install I had to replace my stock antenna with this shorty.

From this stock antenna:

IMG_4396.jpg

To this shorty lol.

IMG_4398.jpg

To full extension of my hood without interference from light.

IMG_4400.jpg

Now I just have to do the same on the other side for my CB antenna. Part coming next week.

RRitchey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sumpter Oregon, USA
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Ritchey
Member #

I installed a Powertrax No slip today. I have always been curious about those type of lockers, found a deal for $300 so thought I would give it a try. I am used to clutch limited slips or Detroit TruTracs so we will see. So far I am still in the break-in stages and getting used to the clicks, clunks and pops. Usually when I hear a noise like that I have to stop and check it out for damage, broken parts etc. We will see how long that lasts until a permanent twitch sets in and I need mental help. I plan on installing a TruTrac up front after I get used to this one, or tear it out and use a different locker. Installed some switches for external lights and future electronics. Also another cigar lighter port and USB charging ports. And threw on a cat back exhaust so I can make Vrrrrmmmm Vrrrmmmmm sounds.thumbnail.jpg

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Just when I thought my TJ”s CEL evap codes were solved with a new leak detection pump & filter, the CEL P0455 Evap Large Leak code returned after a couple of days, dangnabbit! Fired up the recently arrived Autoline Pro smoke machine and quickly discovered an evap line disconnected. The line was still inserted in the connector but not seated.
1182855D-AC5E-4168-B592-7D45595D50A9.jpeg
9345188E-8C6B-4F64-B52E-9A0CEA150548.jpeg

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Picked up a full Goose Gear plate system with side cubbies from Backwoods Overland. I was running two ARB drawers and my fridge and slide on top of one of the drawers. This system worked out great but I really wanted to save some weight and then position my heavy gear towards the middle of the vehicle, down low, with the Goose Gear system. My other goal was to be able to sleep inside the Jeep and potentially get rid of the roof top tent. I also picked up one of Vector Offroads brand new aluminum rear shelf, which is a LOT lighter than their previous version. I really like the aluminum look as well. Totally happy with the Goose Gear install. Backwoods did a very nice job, with great attention to detail as well. I also had Nick at Backwoods install a couple of USB ports and a voltmeter as well. Looking forward to trying this out once the world gets back to some sort of normalcy.

Attachments

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Just when I thought my TJ”s CEL evap codes were solved with a new leak detection pump & filter, the CEL P0455 Evap Large Leak code returned after a couple of days, dangnabbit! Fired up the recently arrived Autoline Pro smoke machine and quickly discovered an evap line disconnected. The line was still inserted in the connector but not seated.
View attachment 145777
View attachment 145778
Win!

Reactions: Shamu and FJTalon

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Did some measuring and decided to skip the 63" Chevy leaf spring retrofit. I want more flex and comfort but it's not worth the hassle. I'll do a rear shackle mount relocation instead and play with shackle angles to get the flex and ride I want. Taking video while going over obstacles like this is informative. :smiley:

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Gov't cancelled our hard earned reservations at Canyonlands/White Rim for later next month. Used my disappointment energy to pull the radiator after work. Wasn't I just here? Let's see if they send me another new radiator or if I have to bond the leaky drain valve shut.

P_20200323_182841.jpg
I must be getting familiar with this vehicle, only took 65 minutes this time.

Last edited:

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Also conducted some local social distancing exploration south of Alamogordo...
Found a burned M88 Recovery vehicle:
F6DDDAC2-6534-4459-80D9-5B83238CA712.jpeg
Did a little rock crawl:
712DCD96-E644-4E7D-92DA-D097CD5DB411.jpeg
This AH-1 Cobra looks like it just needs a little bit of work to be airworthy:
CE352959-A1DA-47BF-BE8E-9725DBB3CAAC.jpeg
Trail climbing up to Timberon:
C10C688C-7987-4A42-A5BF-8C9D6E9467E6.jpeg
At least 6 feet was maintained this day:
FA226C5E-A951-4D55-809A-6F7327095B11.jpeg

RoarinRow

Rank V