Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Looks like boom town now, similar to Odessa.
I'll bet rents are sky high too.
Seems to be leveling out. Housing was a huge issue as there was nothing available. Local builder just finished house #10,000. APartments are changing peoples perpective here too. Hospitals and the university are driving new populations. Just at 310k for the county, 270k for the city.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Definitely hard to get decent gas mileage in hilly country. Only reason I get decent mileage now is the speed limit on most NM two lane roads is 55 mph.(enforced heavily). I went to Texas awhile back and their two lane roads were 75 mph, even with heavy oil field truck traffic. Scary...
Yes, we do not drive slow.

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Seems to be leveling out. Housing was a huge issue as there was nothing available. Local builder just finished house #10,000. APartments are changing peoples perpective here too. Hospitals and the university are driving new populations. Just at 310k for the county, 270k for the city.
A far cry from the little town of 60,000 that I knew with only one high school for the whole town, just like Odessa. Cant imagine one builder being able to build 10,000 houses in just one town (city). That's Hugh !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
A far cry from the little town of 60,000 that I knew with only one high school for the whole town, just like Odessa. Can imagine one builder bding

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
What's that all about ?
Air brakes.

They go Psshht.

In all seriousness, part of my trade is teaching people how to drive everything from offroad vehicles, to fighting vehicles, tractor-trailers and everything in between. Dangerous goods, accident investigation, anti-terrorist tactical driving, etc. Airbrakes is part of it, but in order for me to teach it, I have to learn how to teach it properly.

So here I am, new base, new oppertunity to explore in the off-time.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Air brakes.

They go Psshht.

In all seriousness, part of my trade is teaching people how to drive everything from offroad vehicles, to fighting vehicles, tractor-trailers and everything in between. Dangerous goods, accident investigation, anti-terrorist tactical driving, etc. Airbrakes is part of it, but in order for me to teach it, I have to learn how to teach it properly.

So here I am, new base, new oppertunity to explore in the off-time.
Sounds like an interesting job, and somewhat stealthy. Be safe and thanks for your service in these bad days.

thewayhomeadventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Service Branch
Army / CIA
I actually got a chance to install my winch bumper after lunch.

↓ New and freshly painted upper bumper cap installed. ↓
View attachment 127451

↓ ShrockWorks winch bumper installed. ↓
View attachment 127452

View attachment 127453

Next project is to begin fabrication a rear bumper.
I have been eyeballing that very bumper for quite sometime. It looks awesome man. Any issues you ran into installing it? Sag the front much?...I think you sold me on just from your photos.

Reactions: eagle_A40

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

I have been eyeballing that very bumper for quite sometime. It looks awesome man. Any issues you ran into installing it? Sag the front much?...I think you sold me on just from your photos.
Matt,
the only issue with the bumper(if headlights hoop were specified), when mounted will most likely contact the upper bumper cap. SEE RED ARROW IN PIC BELOW. Some owners(not all) had to notch the upper bumper cap for installation. I new this going in, because I searched the web for "Nissan Frontier ShrockWorks bumper" pics. Some installations cleared, or barely cleared the cap. Some made slight contact which caused the hoop to rub on the cap.
IMG_1589.JPG

I didn't want to notch the cap, or the loops to make contact. My fix was to fabricate two 1-1/2" spacer plates for the ShrockWorks bumper mounts, to position the bumper forward and prevent hoop-to-cap contact.
As you can see in the pic below, there is at least 1" of clearance.
IMG_3455.jpg

As for front end sag after Winch Bumper installation, it caused a 3/4" drop of the front suspension. The bumper weight is 138 Lbs. The 17K winch is 64 Lbs. 202 Lbs total. Turning the coil-over adjusting rings 2 rounds brought it back to where it was prior to the Winch Bumper install. On a drive to town and back, I noticed no difference in ride quality.

Last edited:

thewayhomeadventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Service Branch
Army / CIA
Matt,
the only issue with the bumper(if headlights hoop were specified), when mounted will most likely contact the upper bumper cap. SEE RED ARROW IN PIC BELOW. Some owners(not all) had to notch the upper bumper cap for installation. I new this going in, because I searched the web for "Nissan Frontier ShrockWorks bumper" pics. Some installations cleared, or barely cleared the cap. Some made slight contact which caused the hoop to rub on the cap.
View attachment 127628

I didn't want to notch the cap, or the loops to make contact. My fix was to fabricate two 1-1/2" spacer plates for the ShrockWorks bumper mounts, to position the bumper forward and prevent hoop-to-cap contact.
View attachment 127633

As for front end sag after Winch Bumper installation, it caused a 3/4" drop of the front suspension. The bumper weight is 138 Lbs. The 17K winch is 64 Lbs. 202 Lbs total. Turning the coil-over adjusting rings 2 round brought it back to where it was prior to the Winch Bumper install. On a drive to town and back, I noticed no difference in ride quality.
Awesome, thanks for taking the time to answer that thoroughly. Your spacer did the trick pretty nicely. I’ve looked at photos before and had never noticed the notches before. Great work.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Matt,
View attachment 127628

View attachment 127633

As for front end sag after Winch Bumper installation, it caused a 3/4" drop of the front suspension. The bumper weight is 138 Lbs. The 17K winch is 64 Lbs. 202 Lbs total. Turning the coil-over adjusting rings 2 round brought it back to where it was prior to the Winch Bumper install. On a drive to town and back, I noticed no difference in ride quality.
Great bumper fix. Looks better than the grey rig by tons.

Reactions: eagle_A40

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign