Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

Thank you Chris, you have been very helpful. You said it took you 3 days for the install and that's good to know as well. Are your solar panels fixed to your rig or are they movable on the ground ? I pretty much know what I want and have bought most of the equipment. I have not decided to hook it up to my rigs alternator, but if I do I know there will be more equipment I will need to do that to protect my rigs battery from being drained. I'm not sure how that's done either but I know it makes for a more complicated system and I'm not sure I want to go there with my limited knowledge.
Thank you again.
Solar is bolted but could be removed. For the rig connection all it takes is a isolator. If you want it to use solar get the redarc BCDC. They have all sizes in amp and budgets. Research is first step. Complicated... I know you can do it. 3 days of read outs is what you saw a glimpse of the data I am gathering. Regarding installation... trial and error..accommodating my consumption plus 56.33 percent more has taken me more than a year. Better that you learn this now and see what your consumption is, and how you can accommodate your need. If you have an agm battery a solar panel a solar reader and a BCDC... you will be fine. If you need more amps, get another battery.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Solar is bolted but could be removed. For the rig connection all it takes is a isolator. If you want it to use solar get the redarc BCDC. They have all sizes in amp and budgets. Research is first step. Complicated... I know you can do it. 3 days of read outs is what you saw a glimpse of the data I am gathering. Regarding installation... trial and error..accommodating my consumption plus 56.33 percent more has taken me more than a year. Better that you learn this now and see what your consumption is, and how you can accommodate your need. If you have an agm battery a solar panel a solar reader and a BCDC... you will be fine. If you need more amps, get another battery.
I already have the 100w harbor freight kit which has the portable panels, a10a charge controller (plenty for now, more later) and a led lite. I have a 1000w-2000w modified sine inverter in case I need to use a microwave or elect coffee pot. I have two 135 ah lead acid marine batteries. I have a 900w gas generator for emergencies and a couple of different kinds of battery chargers. I don't have any monitors except what is on the charge controller, I don't have the solenoid switch that protects the rig battery or any switching devises. I don't have any circuit breakers, 110v or 12v outlets yet. My electrical needs are LED lighting, radio, internet if I can figure out how to get it in the boonies, a flip phone for when I am in range of a cell tower, 30+ gal ref when I get one. Other than those items I cant think of anything else that I need electricity for or devises to make it all work. Maybe later, all suggesat6ions are welcome4.

Reactions: 19mystic96 and Cpol

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

I already have the 100w harbor freight kit which has the portable panels, a10a charge controller (plenty for now, more later) and a led lite. I have a 1000w-2000w modified sine inverter in case I need to use a microwave or elect coffee pot. I have two 135 ah lead acid marine batteries. I have a 900w gas generator for emergencies and a couple of different kinds of battery chargers. I don't have any monitors except what is on the charge controller, I don't have the solenoid switch that protects the rig battery or any switching devises. I don't have any circuit breakers, 110v or 12v outlets yet. My electrical needs are LED lighting, radio, internet if I can figure out how to get it in the boonies, a flip phone for when I am in range of a cell tower, 30+ gal ref when I get one. Other than those items I cant think of anything else that I need electricity for or devises to make it all work. Maybe later, all suggesat6ions are welcome4.
Keep me posted when you do.

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Several items:

Rock Hard 4x4 bumper w/o swing-out tire carrier (now I can fully open the tailgate after installing the Morryde hinge & tailgate reinforcement, very solid feel) and the Morryde antenna mount (for the CB):
F9DC7A41-0778-4900-86B5-E70F6BECA10B.jpeg
Fox shocks at all 4 corners:
8991204F-3ED4-475D-A2F1-90B164EAC7EA.jpeg
Fox steering stabilizer (that was fun, thought I was going to have buy a new drag link until the post finally cried uncle and stopped fighting!):
189509CB-2553-4437-8E94-98A5EFDF4BFF.jpeg

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

Today was going to be a service day, change oil, transfer case fluid, and differential fluids, along with installing the new ARB Diff covers, but it cold, raining, and I don’t have a shop to work in. So It’ll have to wait till next weekend!! Angry

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Today was going to be a service day, change oil, transfer case fluid, and differential fluids, along with installing the new ARB Diff covers, but it cold, raining, and I don’t have a shop to work in. So It’ll have to wait till next weekend!! Angry
Not having a garage , especially in bad weather sucks. I don't even have a slab of conc. or asphalt to work on so I know your frustration.

My goal is going to be to build something before too long, with at least a roof and floor. Then enclose it slowly or as I can afford it. Most lumber yards have what they call a loafing shed build kit at a reasonable cost (around $1,000), without a floor, so that may be my route. The permanent floor could come later but I'd start with a compacted cliche floor !

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

Not having a garage , especially in bad weather sucks. I don't even have a slab of conc. or asphalt to work on so I know your frustration.

My goal is going to be to build something before too long, with at least a roof and floor. Then enclose it slowly or as I can afford it. Most lumber yards have what they call a loafing shed build kit at a reasonable cost (around $1,000), without a floor, so that may be my route. The permanent floor could come later but I'd start with a compacted cliche floor !
Do concrete or asphalt either, just a gravel driveway, my friend has a shop but he was working today, and plus I’d have to spend half a day moving stuff just to get my Jeep inside.

kkriewald

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Kurtis
Last Name
Kriewald
Member #

Several items:

Rock Hard 4x4 bumper w/o swing-out tire carrier (now I can fully open the tailgate after installing the Morryde hinge & tailgate reinforcement, very solid feel) and the Morryde antenna mount (for the CB):
View attachment 128207
Fox shocks at all 4 corners:
View attachment 128208
Fox steering stabilizer (that was fun, thought I was going to have buy a new drag link until the post finally cried uncle and stopped fighting!):
View attachment 128209
How do you feel about the shocks? Worth it?

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

How do you feel about the shocks? Worth it?
In my opinion, yes. I think the base model would drive/feel the same but went with the reservoir in order to keep up with my brother in his JKUR (he has the same installed on his) on the washboard dirtballs (weeped the front driver Teraflex shock during the trip to Canyonlands in October) might be overkill for my needs but what the hay. After driving her all week, much better road manners compared to the previous shocks (Teraflex 9550). The steering stabilizer made a huge improvement in highway speed bumps.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Do concrete or asphalt either, just a gravel driveway, my friend has a shop but he was working today, and plus I’d have to spend half a day moving stuff just to get my Jeep inside.
I could rent a storage just a half mile away but that would mean moving most of my tools there too. They don't have 220v service there for my welder though. For the cost of rent it's better to build I think. Bad thing about gravel is you can use anything with rollers, and it's not exactly comfortable to lay on. Pray for good weather !

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Modified an EVO Manufacturing License Plate Relocate/Rotopax Can Mount (EVO-1163B) designed for the JK to fit my TJ Rubicon spare tire/rim. Flapwheeled & painted the edges to fit inside the smaller diameter TJ Rubi center hub. Also drilled a hole (1” hole saw bit) in the Rotopax mounting plate to make accessing the bolt easier. The stock Rubi rim doesn’t push the tire out enough to contact the Rotopax mounting plate so I assembled some hardware from the local Ace to make a contact point with the tire.
B88D7EF5-3B2D-4E89-B4BF-66661DD8DBF5.jpeg
66BDBED9-E10C-4CFA-B8B1-7383CF1A4393.jpeg
D269D206-FADE-43D3-B39E-429D9D726CFE.jpeg
18E5D378-203D-466E-936B-5A625C7FE893.jpeg
953D471B-186D-477E-BA71-F3A604C913CB.jpeg
Pic when completed later tonight...

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Modified an EVO Manufacturing License Plate Relocate/Rotopax Can Mount (EVO-1163B) designed for the JK to fit my TJ Rubicon spare tire/rim. Flapwheeled & painted the edges to fit inside the smaller diameter TJ Rubi center hub. Also drilled a hole (1” hole saw bit) in the Rotopax mounting plate to make accessing the bolt easier. The stock Rubi rim doesn’t push the tire out enough to contact the Rotopax mounting plate so I assembled some hardware from the local Ace to make a contact point with the tire.
View attachment 128272
View attachment 128273
View attachment 128274
View attachment 128276
View attachment 128277
Pic when completed later tonight...
Slick set up, I wonder if I can do something similar to my LRD2. How much gas do your tanks hold.

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Slick set up, I wonder if I can do something similar to my LRD2. How much gas do your tanks hold.
Those are the 2 gallon G2 tanks. I’d like to carry at least 6 gallons from past week-long off-roading/camping experience. After testing the tailgate setup with full tanks, I might get a couple of smaller tanks to double mount. This is the response to removing the ~90 lbs of swing-out tire carrier with 2 jerry can holders.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Used it to recover my friend's Jeep. He broke a rear axle on a steep slope and had to tie off on a large boulder until help came. It took me about 2hrs to get out to him. Winching on such a steep slope is sketch so we used a tow strap between my truck and a large tree just in case. The plan was to winch him up with him assisting as much as he could with only 3 wheels working and no lockers. They had used ratchet straps to mount his HiLift against the outer portion of the wheel to keep it pressed into place yet still be able to turn albeit slowly. It took quite awhile to get him up the slope. We had to reposition my truck a few times as well as hook up the snatch block once he was close enough. Then I towed him the last few miles off the trail, in the dark. Fun stuff!

Single line pull

With block

His buddy had to walk beside the Jeep the entire way to make sure the HiLift didn't shift and get wedged in the fender.

Last edited: