Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Driving up on a red light, I used to coast to a stop.... now at the last moment I have to hit the brakes. It is all about rolling resistance.
That's what I thought. Is your jeep free wheeling on the front ? My LRD2 is full time 4wheel drive. It can never get that kind of mileage unless I put bicycle tires on it, the I might get a couple of miles more to the gallon. LOL

kkriewald

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Kurtis
Last Name
Kriewald
Member #

That's what I thought. Is your jeep free wheeling on the front ? My LRD2 is full time 4wheel drive. It can never get that kind of mileage unless I put bicycle tires on it, the I might get a couple of miles more to the gallon. LOL
Tjs don't have hubs. It's been proven time after time that free wheeling hubs don't do much, maybe 0.2 MPG. I've never seen close to that in a TJ. My 98 2.5 had 33/9.50s ATs and could see 21 in perfect conditions on the highway. No my 99 got way better after I built the stroker motor, but best I've ever seen is 17.5. Not at all saying it's not possible, just wishing it was probable to duplicate.

Reactions: eagle_A40

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Tjs don't have hubs. It's been proven time after time that free wheeling hubs don't do much, maybe 0.2 MPG. I've never seen close to that in a TJ. My 98 2.5 had 33/9.50s ATs and could see 21 in perfect conditions on the highway. No my 99 got way better after I built the stroker motor, but best I've ever seen is 17.5. Not at all saying it's not possible, just wishing it was probable to duplicate.
My old 67 ford bronco got 4 mpg more when free wheeling. That's why I asked about jeeps.
It 4:10 gears and 33" tires.

kkriewald

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Kurtis
Last Name
Kriewald
Member #

My old 67 ford bronco got 4 mpg more when free wheeling. That's why I asked about jeeps.
It 4:10 gears and 33" tires.
Almost zero difference on my 75 f100 on 35s with a 390. Driving conditions make a massive difference, and speed. I don't stand a chance in western Washington, too many big hills.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Almost zero difference on my 75 f100 on 35s with a 390. Driving conditions make a massive difference, and speed. I don't stand a chance in western Washington, too many big hills.
Definitely hard to get decent gas mileage in hilly country. Only reason I get decent mileage now is the speed limit on most NM two lane roads is 55 mph.(enforced heavily). I went to Texas awhile back and their two lane roads were 75 mph, even with heavy oil field truck traffic. Scary...

Reactions: eagle_A40

kkriewald

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Kurtis
Last Name
Kriewald
Member #

Definitely hard to get decent gas mileage in hilly country. Only reason I get decent mileage now is the speed limit on most NM two lane roads is 55 mph.(enforced heavily). I went to Texas awhile back and their two lane roads were 75 mph, even with heavy oil field truck traffic. Scary...
Under 50 is definitely better especially in Jeeps.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Drop me a line if you do. Beer is on me! That goes for any member who comes through Lubbock. Great beer, the restaurant next door is the best in the city (same owner, uber upscale Americana) and coffee all in one hotel lobby.
When I was growing up it seems I remember Lubbock as being a dry county. I enjoyed may trips there to watch championship football games between Lubbock and Odessa Broncos in early 50's.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

County wasnt dry when I moved here in 2009. There was an area called "The Strip" that looked like Reno off the freeway just outside the city limits. City was but the same month I moved here the citiznes passed new liquor laws that matched state standards. Liquor in private stores only M-Sat 9A-9P. Beer and wine in groceries and liquor stores 6A-12A M-Sat. 12P-12A Sunday only. There are now three breweries in town, one in county and one distillery in county. Taxation has boomed lots of projects.

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
County wasnt dry when I moved here in 2009. There was an area called "The Strip" that looked like Reno off the freeway just outside the city limits. City was but the same month I moved here the citiznes passed new liquor laws that matched state standards. Liquor in private stores only M-Sat 9A-9P. Beer and wine in groceries and liquor stores 6A-12A M-Sat. 12P-12A Sunday only. There are now three breweries in town, one in county and one distillery in county. Taxation has boomed lots of projects.
Looks like boom town now, similar to Odessa.
I'll bet rents are sky high too.

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Pilot training at Reese AFB back in ‘88. You could see ”The Strip” from quite a way out. Too bad the base was closed, what a great place for pilot training with Texas Tech...um, I mean Lubbock next door.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign