Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Took a small anglegrinder to the 14 small remaining screws that were left after I removed the roofrails a while back.

I also covered up the exposed metal with some paint and am planning on getting the roof resprayed either gloss or matt black next year as I also want to remove the antenna and weld that hole shut and fit a couple strips of aluminium to where the roofrails used to be.

I want a cleaner look to my car as I want it to be different from all the other 1st generation Hyundai Tucsons on the road.

68905407_2187326768060339_5958454940589359104_n.jpg

69516064_2187326848060331_692447344859283456_n.jpg

69151962_2187326898060326_8588833379565174784_n.jpg

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Took a small angregrinder to the 14 small remaining screws that were left after I removed the roofrails a while back.

I also covered up the exposed metal with some paint and am planning on getting the roof resprayed either gloss or matt black next year as I also want to remove the antenna and weld that hole shut and fit a couple strips of aluminium to where the roofrails used to be.

I want a cleaner look to my car as I want it to be different from all the other 1st generation Hyundai Tucsons on the road.

View attachment 114458

View attachment 114461

View attachment 114462
Your the only one who will ever see the difference. Beauty is in the eye's of the beholder !

STRUWELJÄMP

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LUXEMBOURG
First Name
Josy
Last Name
WAX
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
Today was a special day ...i added nothing to my ridge.Preparing my ridge in the next days for a trip to Romania

Reactions: JCWages

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Tore apart the rear axle today to find and fix the ARB locker. This is the 4th or 5th time I’ve had the axle apart in about as many months. Leak was coming from inside the locker this time so took out the carrier, tore the locker all apart and cleaned everything to be brand new looking. Replaced the ring gear bolts because there was sand all in the threads, replaced the seal housing o rings and the bonded seal. All is good now finally.

The front will be tackled next weekend. Front has bigger issues. Copper line got blown into the diff and ring gear caught it and shredded it and broke the seal housing. Some pics from this weekend.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Tore apart the rear axle today to find and fix the ARB locker. This is the 4th or 5th time I’ve had the axle apart in about as many months. Leak was coming from inside the locker this time so took out the carrier, tore the locker all apart and cleaned everything to be brand new looking. Replaced the ring gear bolts because there was sand all in the threads, replaced the seal housing o rings and the bonded seal. All is good now finally.

The front will be tackled next weekend. Front has bigger issues. Copper line got blown into the diff and ring gear caught it and shredded it and broke the seal housing. Some pics from this weekend.

You must be a professional because that was a job for one in my book. Congrats are in order.

Reactions: Boort

KDC

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lawton, OK
Member #

And that right there is why I will stick to my lunchbox locker. I like airlockers but I prefer not tearing my axles apart all the time as I could see this happening to me as well

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
You must be a professional because that was a job for one in my book. Congrats are in order.
By no means am I a pro. I was working with a buddy of mine who has never done this before either. It’s really not difficult. We found the exploded view of the locker and just started unbolting things until it was just the cage and all the teeth were out. Thank you for the compliment! We will be doing the front one next weekend

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
And that right there is why I will stick to my lunchbox locker. I like airlockers but I prefer not tearing my axles apart all the time as I could see this happening to me as well
The bulkhead fitting is what failed and let water in. It’s not a bad job, just time consuming. Having selectable lockers is great especially when you need traction immediately

Reactions: KDC

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
By no means am I a pro. I was working with a buddy of mine who has never done this before either. It’s really not difficult. We found the exploded view of the locker and just started unbolting things until it was just the cage and all the teeth were out. Thank you for the compliment! We will be doing the front one next weekend
Good luck, I cant think of a better way to lose friends LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Ghost

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

It drizzled on and off most of the day yesterday. Although it didn't hamper my wiring project too much.
After lunch, while my 6-pack of beer was chilling in the shop fridge, I began to make up and solder the wiring connections. I installed the power wires from the battery to the 100 amp breaker, then to the 100 amp relay, then to the fuse/relay board inside the truck. I was going to run the relay energizing wiring, but I found that I was short on 12 ga. wire. I'll pick up a couple rolls of RED and BLACK 12 ga. today. Of course, the weather guessers are calling for a flash-flood watch this morning, and rain for the next few day. So I have no idea how much I'll be able to get done.

BEFORE:
IMG_2915.jpg

AFTER:
IMG_2958.jpg

That's about it.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Good luck, I cant think of a better way to lose friends LOL
Lose friends? Haha it was a good time. We had a good idea of how to do it. I’m to the point now where I could set gears up by myself if I had to. I don’t have any certifications or anything but I do everything in the driveway when I can. It’s the best way to learn. What will you do if it breaks on the trail and don’t have service lol. I like knowing how everything works. It helps diagnosing issues

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Lose friends? Haha it was a good time. We had a good idea of how to do it. I’m to the point now where I could set gears up by myself if I had to. I don’t have any certifications or anything but I do everything in the driveway when I can. It’s the best way to learn. What will you do if it breaks on the trail and don’t have service lol. I like knowing how everything works. It helps diagnosing issues
Just joking about losing friends. Yes, the time to learn is in your own driveway. When I was your age no challenge was too big for me. Now just changing a tire is a serious challenge. Enjoy while you can, I did. Your doing a good job. Believe it or not, not all guys would tackle that job and be successful.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Just joking about losing friends. Yes, the time to learn is in your own driveway. When I was your age no challenge was too big for me. Now just changing a tire is a serious challenge. Enjoy while you can, I did. Your doing a good job. Believe it or not, not all guys would tackle that job and be successful.
Thanks! I’m sure you have lots of stories to boot. Never stop learning!

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Being one that has short fuse when it comes to busting knuckles i get the losing friends joke:) That’s coming from someone that makes a living wrenching. As much I dread playing mechanic on the weekends I end up doing it. I try to do most of my projects with my oldest daughter so she doesn’t grow up having to depend on some knuckle dragger to fix her rig. At 12 she is alread more mechanically inclined than most of the 20 something guys we hire at work.

Last edited: