Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Working on accessory security in the bed of the truck. The idea is to make it more difficult for a "smash & grab" opportunity while traveling. I live in a low-crime area so my main concerns are when parked in town for very short periods of time and when traveling.

I added a cable lock which winds around the shovel and axe but I need to play with the routing so the axe is more secure. So this is meant as an example only. It's not very secure with this routing.

I added a small lock for the gas can also.
How did you secure the Superstrut to the side of your bed? I'm guessing it doesn't go through to the outside?

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I continued to work on my homemade rack, almost done but ran out of parts again. I'm using .5" stainless hardware to put my rack together and I bought all the stainless .5" lock nuts my local Lowe's had so I'll have to check out Home Depot today to see if they have some so I can continue after work.

Reactions: JCWages

HawkH3Alpha

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denton, TX, USA
Member #

New summer project underway. Right now I’m collecting the parts to change out the rear axle and front carrier. The reason is my H3 was did not come with the adventure package (lockers). My truck also came stock with 4.11 gear which are fine For 33in tires but not as great with 35” and all the camping gear I carry. So far I picked up a used rear end with 4.56 gears and a locker and a front carrier with 4.56 gears. The front carrier will be short term due to the the housing is aluminum and the one on my truck is cast iron. Once I take off my old carrier I will have it rebuilt with 4.56 gears and a locker and sell off the temp carrier.

Attachments

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

How did you secure the Superstrut to the side of your bed? I'm guessing it doesn't go through to the outside?
3/8" x 3" toggle bolts. The install is detailed here.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
New summer project underway. Right now I’m collecting the parts to change out the rear axle and front carrier. The reason is my H3 was did not come with the adventure package (lockers). My truck also came stock with 4.11 gear which are fine For 33in tires but not as great with 35” and all the camping gear I carry. So far I picked up a used rear end with 4.56 gears and a locker and a front carrier with 4.56 gears. The front carrier will be short term due to the the housing is aluminum and the one on my truck is cast iron. Once I take off my old carrier I will have it rebuilt with 4.56 gears and a locker and sell off the temp carrier.
Cool, I’ve got to do the same. My 4Runner is an SR5, so no lockers. It Also came with 3:73 gear, but with everything I’ve done to it I will be switching to 4:88 and installing ARB F&R lockers.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I learned something about my 2017 Wrangler JKU. The stud sticking straight up off of the battery connectors (closest to the battery post) that has no wires attached to it is not a good place to attach accessory wires. That stud has a nut with a cone on the bottom - that cone serves to properly tighten the connector onto the battery post. If you add accessory wires here the cone cannot do its job and tighten the connector.

Recently my Jeep's dummy lights would occasionally flash and the warning bell would sound for a very brief time - typically this included the sway bar disconnect indicator. Did a little internet detective work and found that this could be due to a bad ground and to start looking at the battery connectors. I found that my connectors were indeed loose and took things apart and clued in to the fact that the cones served a purpose and that my accessory wires were not allowing the cone to do its job. Moved the wires to a different spot and tightened the connectors - have not had the issue since.