Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I cut and painted the Superstrut rails for my DIY bed rail mounting system. I cut the 10' rail into 2 sections 54" each. I plan on mounting 1 on each truck (my personal and work) on the back wall of the bed under the rear window. I'll mount the XBull traction boards there on the work truck. If it works out I'll figure out how to mount more sections along the sides of the bed. The GM twins don't come with bed rails like the Tacoma and Frontier do. I'll post more info as I complete the install.

I picked up a 5ga metal jerry can ($50) for fuel and a plastic 5ga can ($13) for extra water at Tractor Supply. Amazon won't ship jerry cans like this to CA. I found a guy selling a brand new Smittybilt jerry can holder for $20 on Craigslist and he only lives 8 miles or so from my house which was nice. I am prepping for a Moab trip at the end of the month.

HawkH3Alpha

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denton, TX, USA
Member #

Added limb risers. Picked up all parts at Home Depot. Took approx 30min to install. Risers are also used to help protect hood and windshield from Texas hail. I draped a heavy duty sun shade around the truck and used the riser to provide a buffer. I pointed the nose of the truck away from the storm. This should work for small size hail.
028D0A57-2EBF-4DA2-A881-5167B69E0A2B.jpeg4BDD2FE4-F75D-4005-87FF-EC9BCD00E20F.jpegBC146041-DACA-41F7-9606-9F61D2D33611.jpeg

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I picked up a 5ga metal jerry can ($50) for fuel and a plastic 5ga can ($13) for extra water at Tractor Supply. Amazon won't ship jerry cans like this to CA. I found a guy selling a brand new Smittybilt jerry can holder for $20 on Craigslist and he only lives 8 miles or so from my house which was nice. I am prepping for a Moab trip at the end of the month.
Awesome project! Am getting close to building a gas can/propane tank holder for the back of my JKU - to be mounted on the trailer hitch receiver, somehow ;) Was thinking about a couple of those Smittybilt can holders (one on each side) with propane bottle somewhere between. Want to make it swing out so I can still get into the back of the Jeep but am not finding big burly hinges anywhere (not that I have looked that hard). Keep on posting your progress!

Reactions: sabjku and Tim nash

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
I cut and painted the Superstrut rails for my DIY bed rail mounting system. I cut the 10' rail into 2 sections 54" each. I plan on mounting 1 on each truck (my personal and work) on the back wall of the bed under the rear window. I'll mount the XBull traction boards there on the work truck. If it works out I'll figure out how to mount more sections along the sides of the bed. The GM twins don't come with bed rails like the Tacoma and Frontier do. I'll post more info as I complete the install.

Hey so when we meeting up for coffee? I know it’s a super long drive for both of us LOL

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

RyuKyuRvr

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Makinson
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Today was a Truck maintenance day as I replaced both front wheel speed sensors, right/front wheel bearing and greased and lubed all the driveline and chassis points, cleared all the faults and replaced a key part to the antilock brakes on my Discovery 2 in getting it ready for the trail. Sadly discovered yet again another set of terrafirma shocks have failed, they might be ok for east coast rovers and even England, but Northwestern mountain trails and dirt roads eat them far to fast so now I’m hunting for Fox shocks or OME remote reservoir shocks

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Chingon_Grandpa

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La mirada ca
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Chavez
Member #

Today was a Truck maintenance day as I replaced both front wheel speed sensors, right/front wheel bearing and greased and lubed all the driveline and chassis points, cleared all the faults and replaced a key part to the antilock brakes on my Discovery 2 in getting it ready for the trail. Sadly discovered yet again another set of terrafirma shocks have failed, they might be ok for east coast rovers and even England, but Northwestern mountain trails and dirt roads eat them far to fast so now I’m hunting for Fox shocks or OME remote reservoir shocks
Well, that not what i wanted to hear being that i just installed new Terrafirma shocks and springs

RyuKyuRvr

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Makinson
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Well, that not what i wanted to hear being that i just installed new Terrafirma shocks and springs
I have had three different rovers set up with terrafirma shocks, all 2” longer then stock to accommodate the lift and I’ve broken at least one of them on my daily drivers nearly within 6-9 months. I want to Fox racing shocks and after 2 years of heavy trail use they have yet to fail my Discovery, however I have Rancho 9000’s on my series truck and they have been there nearly 8 years without fail. They seem to do well in softer sand and mud but have failed on western mountain rock trails

Reactions: Chingon_Grandpa