Launch Member

Influencer I

Carmichael, California
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Nantz
Member #

Today I installed the wiring for a CB radio and a rear seat USB charging port in my Tacoma. In the process I also removed an aftermarket head unit that I am planning to replace.

As usual, the project took longer than I expected, but I'm happy with the results. Now to get the dual battery system installed. It's sitting in the garage waiting for another free weekend.

Happy trails all!

-- Bennett

What battery system do you go with.

Reactions: citybiker

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Today I installed the wiring for a CB radio and a rear seat USB charging port in my Tacoma. In the process I also removed an aftermarket head unit that I am planning to replace.

As usual, the project took longer than I expected, but I'm happy with the results. Now to get the dual battery system installed. It's sitting in the garage waiting for another free weekend.

Happy trails all!

-- Bennett
Not sure how much electronic stuff you plan to install but you might consider adding a BlueSea fuse block to the interior of your truck. I have mine mounted next to my brake pedal. This makes is way easier to add stuff and keep everything separate from the Toyota wiring. I have a breaker switch near the battery for when I want/need to kill everything. I have a fridge, 3 radios, and a couple of power ports all running off of the fuse block.

OverlandHiker

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger II

Livermore, CA
First Name
Bennett
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6LPD
What battery system do you go with.
I have a dual battery bracket/hold down from Armor Tech Offroad and two Optima Yellow Top group 34 batteries waiting for installation in a few weeks.

I am going to be using the IBS battery system to control the charging.

I am mounting a Blue Sea 12 circuit fuse block under the hood, behind the OEM fuse box. It will be mounted on a plate made by Pelfrybuilt.

Cheers

-- Bennett

OverlandHiker

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger II

Livermore, CA
First Name
Bennett
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6LPD
Not sure how much electronic stuff you plan to install but you might consider adding a BlueSea fuse block to the interior of your truck. I have mine mounted next to my brake pedal. This makes is way easier to add stuff and keep everything separate from the Toyota wiring. I have a breaker switch near the battery for when I want/need to kill everything. I have a fridge, 3 radios, and a couple of power ports all running off of the fuse block.
I really like that idea. Right now I have three circuits run from in the cab up to the engine bay near the fuse block. A Blue Sea 6 circuit fuse block in the cab would be a good idea. How did you run the power from the cab to the engine bay? I was nervous about trying to run it through the existing port in the firewall. Did you go that route, or another way?

Cheers

-- Bennett

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I really like that idea. Right now I have three circuits run from in the cab up to the engine bay near the fuse block. A Blue Sea 6 circuit fuse block in the cab would be a good idea. How did you run the power from the cab to the engine bay? I was nervous about trying to run it through the existing port in the firewall. Did you go that route, or another way?

Cheers

-- Bennett
Existing port with 8 gauge wire I believe. Might even be 6. Can't quit remember.

http://aznet.com/ham-radio-and-fuse-block-install/ (looks like I used 8 AWG)

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Drew up a breather manifold a few weeks ago. I finally had time today to take the drawing and turn it into real life. It's made of aluminum with 4 through holes. This allows up to 4 connections ( front diff, rear diff, transfer case, and transmission) All holes are tapped 1/4" 18NPT. Just order the fittings today. Can't wait to finish it!

Last edited: