What Did You Do With Your Rig Today?

• HTML tutorial

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

Definitely check your U-joints, pinion yoke play and slip joint slop, be it a transmission slip joint or drive-shaft slip joint. That kind of noise should not be loud against a skid plate unless something else is swinging pretty wide.
The flanges at the U-joint caught the top of the skid and pulled it down when my suspension compressed enough. I cut off the excess and put it back on. Has been fine since. I didn't notice the problem before cause I didn't have my H3 loaded up. The skids were pretty mangles from my trip to Hell Hole Reservoir.

Attachments

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Thanks to the helpful folks at Automotive Outfitters in SE PDX for the OME lift & General Grabber tire install (it ain't massive, but this is my daily driver, so I'm keeping it balanced):
20161026_140402.jpg
Next, Hefty Fab sliders to replace the OEM steps... Then, rear bumper w/ tire carrier, maybe?

Question for y'all: the new U-bolts on the rear leaf springs are quite a bit longer than the originals; can I just cut the excess bolt off? I figure if I don't, they're gonna catch on something before long and likely cause greater damage.

ChepoCDT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mexico City
First Name
Chepo
Last Name
CDT
Member #

Question for y'all: the new U-bolts on the rear leaf springs are quite a bit longer than the originals; can I just cut the excess bolt off? I figure if I don't, they're gonna catch on something before long and likely cause greater damage.
Sometimes the Ubolts are longer so you can add another leaf whenever you want... and if you add more weight (bumpers, skidplates, equipment) you will likely need it! if not, you can cut it and there wont be any problem, just leave like an in or 3/4"

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

This lift included an AAL, and it should give me decent extra cap, so I don't know if I'll need to add another one soon. That said, I thought most people just replaced the U bolts if/when they added anything. Either way, I wouldn't want to cut them flush.

Reactions: ChepoCDT

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Way overdue, but I finally officially joined the club! OB #2117
Perfect spot for the plaque. I need one for the passenger side now. IMG_2981.JPG
Mangled my rear driveshaft at Tepuifest so picked up a new one at Toyota Santa Cruz. Needless to say my truck is driving super smooth now. No clunks. Gonna get the old shaft retubed so I'll have a spare in the future.IMG_3041.JPG