Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

So first, this week, we did a few nights in the back yard just getting the tent cleaned up. It was still full of sand and covered in tree droppings from Colorado last year. Ick. The star viewing was amazing but I got ZERO freaking footage/shots of it.. technical issues which wont happen again.

Ok so my wife is sick on mothers day, which left me with more time than I should have today to tinker...

I painted the bolt heads and washers on the front of my wind fairing.. they were just silver/steel so I paint matched them.

Next, i re-mounted my fire extinguisher in a more easily accessed place. 1 second to retrieve. I also found that my huge mountain medical kit with some extras I added, fits in a spot on the window/cargo barrier area. Also quick to grab and you can see "MEDICAL KIT" a bit through the tint on the outside. You can see I have my front runner stainless table sitting in the back and the tent pole bag on the other side of the barrier with a super quick fist to secure it.

So, next weekend the eastern Iowa crew (3 of us at least) are going camping at Maquoketa Caves state park. So, i figured I should cover that with some footage and get my gear together. Question for @Michael ... If I were to try and do a decent job of covering and editing some video of the trip, would it be ok to post something to youtube related to overland bound? What is the preferred branding for that? "OB community" or something? with some obvious mentions and links to the main channel? I'd like to start doing more youtube and video work in general. If you have some kind of template for the intro or something people could reuse things and have some consistent branding?

I was wondering about doing my own packing/unpack videos (like your out of town in 20 minutes) and my own rig walk around video. We could possibly do a small group version with the 3 of us at camp.

(gathered up some gear, charged batts, got a gopro hero4 ready for the trip, the big lens is my Nikkor 70-200 F2.8 VRII )

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

No pictures, but I did have to replace the K540 mount for my HAM antenna. There was so much Manzanita at Knoxville a couple weeks ago that it broke the metal tab right off!

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR

So I met an FJ cruiser mentor Nestor and he set me up with a custom fire stick for the front.
Wonderful man and very talented.
I like it and it matches the CB antenna on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Last edited:

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Ive been conducting an ongoing rehab of my Air Conditioning system, and a few people asked me about the cooling unit. This is located under the passenger side dash in US spec models, and connects to the hardlines under the hood through the firewall. If you've not removed yours, chances are its worse than these pics, as mine came out 3 yearts ago. Next time I work it, i will replace the unit with an OEM Denso one, as this one is 23 years old, and has some damaged fins, etc. IMG_4392.JPG IMG_4393.JPG IMG_4395.JPG IMG_4398.JPG IMG_4397.JPG

John Galt

Rank III

Advocate II

Bend, OR
Got my rear driveshaft back in the vehicle. Complete with very needed new ujoints. Drove it around quite a bit and not hearing the clicking in the rear any longer. Hopefully the rotors and new ujoints cured it.

Also was able to get my cheap CB installed. Put it where the factory ash trey goes. Since the internal speaker was then behind the dash I installed an external speaker (you can see it right behind the tcase shift level.

Also counting down the days until our OBDR across oregon offroad trip! We leave Friday morning. The check list is getting down there. Bleed the brakes and change the tcase oil today. Then its all about organizing and packing! woohoo!

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Got my rear driveshaft back in the vehicle. Complete with very needed new ujoints. Drove it around quite a bit and not hearing the clicking in the rear any longer. Hopefully the rotors and new ujoints cured it.

Also was able to get my cheap CB installed. Put it where the factory ash trey goes. Since the internal speaker was then behind the dash I installed an external speaker (you can see it right behind the tcase shift level.

Also counting down the days until our OBDR across oregon offroad trip! We leave Friday morning. The check list is getting down there. Bleed the brakes and change the tcase oil today. Then its all about organizing and packing! woohoo!
Ive got a loud howl coming from mine around 45-55 mph in the last few weeks, though no clicking. Im hoping its just frozen slip joints, or really bad u-joints, but I'm afraid its actually in the diff... If so, this will be a good time to swap out for E-Locked axles.

John Galt

Rank III

Advocate II

Bend, OR
Ive got a loud howl coming from mine around 45-55 mph in the last few weeks, though no clicking. Im hoping its just frozen slip joints, or really bad u-joints, but I'm afraid its actually in the diff... If so, this will be a good time to swap out for E-Locked axles.
If your still running stock gears I have a set of front and rear 4.11 R&P that I will give you for the price of shipping. They are still in great shape. I am just gonna toss them otherwise I think.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Laid out some ceramic engine paint on some über simple, yet highly functional replacement(s) for my crappy single OEM tow hook...also a coat of bedliner for my 3/4" shackles so they contrast nicely...

It has been decided that since I crunched one side of my bumper, and someone creamed the other side today in a parking lot, that I'll be purchasing a full steel winch mount bumper. Things are going to look very different soon...

Reactions: Luis Merlo

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Laid out some ceramic engine paint on some über simple, yet highly functional replacement(s) for my crappy single OEM tow hook...also a coat of bedliner for my 3/4" shackles so they contrast nicely...

It has been decided that since I crunched one side of my bumper, and someone creamed the other side today in a parking lot, that I'll be purchasing a full steel winch mount bumper. Things are going to look very different soon...

A couple of install scars, and then I actually used them yanking the landlord's tractor out of the barn.

They'll see better days, they'll see worse days...

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I spent about four hours cutting into my wiring in the dash to do an independent fog light modification. The documentation I followed was excellent, but the results were not. Now I don't have fogs OR daytime running lights. Back to step one...

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I spent about four hours cutting into my wiring in the dash to do an independent fog light modification. The documentation I followed was excellent, but the results were not. Now I don't have fogs OR daytime running lights. Back to step one...
I just got done fixing it. I had a bad contact in one of the terminals I crimped on. All good now! :)