Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

That solar panel is very nice but is there a reason/reasons it is almost $400 more than a comparable Renogy panel? That's a lot of cheddar.
I'd have to look at the specs of the renogy. I don't know anything about them. But there are quite a few determining factors between solar panels.

Reactions: Wallygator

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Sunday played with a roof rack mount idea. I'm not a fan of roof racks on daily drivers (gas mileage waste), nor do I care for much on the roof on the trail (higher center of gravity). But when you need one you need one and they have a place. The upcoming trip this spring dictates pulling a trailer, roof rack, or overstuffing the WJ. I voted roof rack as my first option if I can make it work. The standard mounting has the rack sitting way too high for my tastes so it has been unused for the last 2 years. After recently seeing a Toyota with flipped mounts I thought hanging the basket from the cross bars might be the solution (there is no room to do the Toyota mount flip). The mock up worked well, with the rack sitting nice and low with about an inch and a half clearance from the roof. Looks like a winner, and with attention to crossbar placement the rack is reasonably level despite the descending roofline. Next weekend I'll figure out the crossbar to rack and cross bar clamp to rail mounting.

Rack 1.PNG
Rack 2.PNG

Edit 2/16/20
Worked out the final mounting. Holes deburred, all fresh exposed metal painted, locktite on the nuts... if was a nice day to work outside. Happy with results, it's tucked tight and low. But like any install using factory cross bars, strength is all in how the factory plastic ends hold up. Will be testing it on a 10 day Utah trip in a few months. I have plan B already figured if they show failure.

P_20200216_135432.jpg P_20200216_150401.jpg
P_20200216_151457.jpg P_20200216_151441.jpg

Last edited:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Time frame was roughly 6 Coronas, limes were already cut though :wink:

No seriously though, having a second hand is almost necessity though. Makes life a whole lot easier.. Around 3 hours.
After 6 Coronas are you sure you installed it on your truck lol j/k. Looks great!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That solar panel is very nice but is there a reason/reasons it is almost $400 more than a comparable Renogy panel? That's a lot of cheddar.
Zamp Solar is 100% made in Oregon... they don’t outsource any of their materials from other countries.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
Zamp Solar is 100% made in Oregon... they don’t outsource any of their materials from other countries.

Wow, didn't see that. That explains a lot and also why they have such a great warranty.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Wow, didn't see that. That explains a lot and also why they have such a great warranty.
I only knew this because I used to work with Zamp when I worked at an RV manufacturing plant. My job was to separate all of the solar system kits into different parts to send out to the correct departments for installation. We had some problems with custom wiring harnesses for a prototype we were working on and I got to talk with several of the big corporate guys as we discussed their products. It’s an awesome company, and if you can ever make it out to Bend, Oregon I highly recommend stopping in their plant to take a tour.

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Almost finished with my auxiliary circuit box/switch panel... panel Is wired, just need 3 more switches. The circuit box still needs multi colored 12 gauge wire, and a couple of connectors, then I can install the system and make my wiring harness to connect the two together. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB