HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
So RESPECT goes out to all you car folk and do-it-yourselfers that work on your Rigs. I think I'll stick to doing things to the interior of the rig from now on. This was the most nerve wracking much less boo-boo inducing install I've done. My hats off to all of you do things like this for a living. However, the bumper, light bar and winch are installed. I still need to hook the switch for light bar though....tomorrow. View attachment 72964
It's official... this mod is off the wish list. Lights are now working.20181021_141653.jpeg20181021_141456.jpeg

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Get a fab guy and do a direct to frame type custom, something like mine:
View attachment 73365 View attachment 73366
Yeah, that's basically exactly what I was thinking. There's already an opening in the stock bumper, as you can see, which is perfect for a winch placement, probably combined with a flip up license plate. A guy on youtube just braced the factory crash bar and mounted a winch upside down on it. Worked like a charm.

Got 1 coat of paint on the bumper today.
IMG_20181021_164620625.jpg
Looks good so far. I'm going to do all the plastic exterior trim in this black. I think it's going to look awesome when it's done. Accidental comparison shot to the crappy faded grey plastic of the original colour.

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Did a driveway alignment today. My steering wheel was all kinds of off. Feeling like I definitely need a steering box brace because the steering on these XJ Cherokees is just super sloppy regardless of how many new parts you throw at it and how many times you align it..

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Did a little night wheeling with a buddy and his 4x4 E350 van above the house after we set up a FF D60 he's gonna swap in it this winter.

Had a great weekend around the house!

Bomber Bash

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Jacksonville Beach, FL, USA
Member #

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Removed the rear bumper and washed it all up ready to be painted tomorrow. I should be able to finish the two bumpers tomorrow as well as the side door bumpers, and if I'm lucky maybe the rocker guards and wheel arches too.
IMG_20181022_165500582_HDR.jpg
I found some nasty rust on the "step" metal that's concealed beneath the rear bumper (red oval). Hopefully borrow my neighbor's angle grinder and clean that up as well before I put the bumper back.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Just ordered the Front Runner Drop Down Table. It is on backorder due to ship mid to late November. What did you finish the plywood with and how was the install?
The plywood is clear coated by them but they forgot to sand it down after, so I sanded it and it seems to be OK for now, smooth surface and rounded the edges. It was nearly raw cut and coated.
Installation is no problem just make sure the slide out sits not to high. The provided nuts are crap, get some rivet nuts / nutserts and don't use their nuts.
The lower left hole (hinge side) will most likely be in the reinforcement of the tailgate and will be harder to drill, besides that measure twice and so on a second pair of hands will help at some points.

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

Today was focused on the small (satisfying) things. Started with a roadside safety kit:
- Rigid 22" box
- winch gear
- jump start battery box
- misc. cable ties, gloves, headlamp, sockets, etc

Then a little detailing:
- .5" grommets for the rounds
- 1" grommets for the ovals
- 1.5" stainless steel d-rings / clips

For all the JKU's , these are the holes running along the back wall. I was getting paint chips from tie-downs and the grommets solved the problem.

I also locked the roadside kit down with an extra Yakima bike cable to prevent any "dash theft". Won't stop a determined thief, but what will with a soft top.

Last, I plastidipped all the hinges. I have previously plastidipped all the chrome trim to keep everything looking clean.

Good day!IMG_20181023_180309.jpegIMG_20181023_180405.jpegIMG_20181023_180435.jpegIMG_20181023_180225.jpegIMG_20181023_181750.jpegIMG_20181023_180235.jpegIMG_20181023_180124.jpegIMG_20181023_180154.jpeg

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Finished painting all the trim except the rocker panel protectors. Those I decided to remove and paint separately, because they go under quite a ways, and they're especially dirty.
IMG_20181023_160529013.jpg IMG_20181023_160339454.jpg
Going to let everything dry a bit, and then I might be able to put the bumpers back on tonight.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Today was focused on the small (satisfying) things. Started with a roadside safety kit:
- Rigid 22" box
- winch gear
- jump start battery box
- misc. cable ties, gloves, headlamp, sockets, etc

Then a little detailing:
- .5" grommets for the rounds
- 1" grommets for the ovals
- 1.5" stainless steel d-rings / clips

For all the JKU's , these are the holes running along the back wall. I was getting paint chips from tie-downs and the grommets solved the problem.

I also locked the roadside kit down with an extra Yakima bike cable to prevent any "dash theft". Won't stop a determined thief, but what will with a soft top.

Last, I plastidipped all the hinges. I have previously plastidipped all the chrome trim to keep everything looking clean.

Good day!View attachment 73631View attachment 73632View attachment 73633View attachment 73634View attachment 73635View attachment 73636View attachment 73637View attachment 73638
I like the idea of your roadside safety kit. I was looking at how to possibly store my winch gear...now that I have a winch. :sunglasses:

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

I like the idea of your roadside safety kit. I was looking at how to possibly store my winch gear...now that I have a winch. :sunglasses:
The Rigid 22 is a good balance of size and watertight. If you use the organization boxes (orange) then you lose/waste about 50% storage capacity due to the lid operating as a containment. However, with a little effort, that part is removable if/when you need the extra space. It seems to be pretty indestructible as well.

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

Finished painting all the trim except the rocker panel protectors. Those I decided to remove and paint separately, because they go under quite a ways, and they're especially dirty.
View attachment 73643 View attachment 73644
Going to let everything dry a bit, and then I might be able to put the bumpers back on tonight.
Nice job. I’m all about those details.

Bomber Bash

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Jacksonville Beach, FL, USA
Member #

The plywood is clear coated by them but they forgot to sand it down after, so I sanded it and it seems to be OK for now, smooth surface and rounded the edges. It was nearly raw cut and coated.
Installation is no problem just make sure the slide out sits not to high. The provided nuts are crap, get some rivet nuts / nutserts and don't use their nuts.
The lower left hole (hinge side) will most likely be in the reinforcement of the tailgate and will be harder to drill, besides that measure twice and so on a second pair of hands will help at some points.
Awesome! Thank you for the info.

Reactions: MazeVX