What are some good gear to have on any overland vehicle? And good tire size for overlanding

• HTML tutorial

Bearpaw225

Rank III

Contributor III

Elysburg, PA, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Yeager
Good morning all. I drive a 98 Gmc Yukon offroad kit installed from the factory on 285/70/17 tires. I tried to sum up the title for the questions I have so I'm hoping I did ok lol. To I'm wondering in what gear everyone uses. All I have rn is roof rack and a bull bar with led light bars attached. I do have a recovery strap rated for 3000lbs as well. I see some overlanders have gas tanks, shovels and awnings on the rigs. How do all of you come to find what type of gear is good for you? And what size tires do all of you run? I'm in the process of looking for tires because my tires are getting low. Would it help to go smaller? Like a 265/70/17 or stick to the size I'm at? I don't mind the idea of stepping down a size or 2. I just really like the clearance I have rn. What are you thoughts? Thank you for your time.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Good morning all. I drive a 98 Gmc Yukon offroad kit installed from the factory on 285/70/17 tires. I tried to sum up the title for the questions I have so I'm hoping I did ok lol. To I'm wondering in what gear everyone uses. All I have rn is roof rack and a bull bar with led light bars attached. I do have a recovery strap rated for 3000lbs as well. I see some overlanders have gas tanks, shovels and awnings on the rigs. How do all of you come to find what type of gear is good for you? And what size tires do all of you run? I'm in the process of looking for tires because my tires are getting low. Would it help to go smaller? Like a 265/70/17 or stick to the size I'm at? I don't mind the idea of stepping down a size or 2. I just really like the clearance I have rn. What are you thoughts? Thank you for your time.
Hello William
Almost everyone does “overlanding” differently, it really is all about you and what you want. If you travel solo your strap does not provide much in the way of help. Some people take everything to be comfortable others are spartans and take almost nothing. As for tires that depends upon where you plan to travel, hardcore rock climbing or forest service dirt roads. I would suggest that no matter where you travel or whether you are solo or not is have tools to fix your rig and a few important spare parts, belts/hoses. Decide what you want to do, go out and try it, one more important thing. Leave it better than you found it please.
Blessings.
PS, edit your headline. :-)

Bearpaw225

Rank III

Contributor III

Elysburg, PA, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Yeager
Hello William
Almost everyone does “overlanding” differently, it really is all about you and what you want. If you travel solo your strap does not provide much in the way of help. Some people take everything to be comfortable others are spartans and take almost nothing. As for tires that depends upon where you plan to travel, hardcore rock climbing or forest service dirt roads. I would suggest that no matter where you travel or whether you are solo or not is have tools to fix your rig and a few important spare parts, belts/hoses. Decide what you want to do, go out and try it, one more important thing. Leave it better than you found it please.
Blessings.
PS, edit your headline. :-)
Awesome thank you for the reply. I live in Central PA so it'll mostly be smaller to medium streams and forest terrain. I was thinking about seeing if I can find a cheap gas can that I can secure to my roof rack. Like the tall skinny type of jerry cans that I see secured to the rear on some tire carriers. I'd also like to figure out a way to mount a shovel onto my vehicle as well. My Yukon is big enough that I can actually camp inside of it which is pretty cool but I need to figure a way to keep my gear secure and have optimal space. Thank you so so much for your reply. It's awesome to be chatting with someone else who also likes to go out and make their own adventures. I'm hoping to start overlanding soon.

P.S I fixed the headline alittle thank you for point that out. Lol

Reactions: freak4life

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Awesome thank you for the reply. I live in Central PA so it'll mostly be smaller to medium streams and forest terrain. I was thinking about seeing if I can find a cheap gas can that I can secure to my roof rack. Like the tall skinny type of jerry cans that I see secured to the rear on some tire carriers. I'd also like to figure out a way to mount a shovel onto my vehicle as well. My Yukon is big enough that I can actually camp inside of it which is pretty cool but I need to figure a way to keep my gear secure and have optimal space. Thank you so so much for your reply. It's awesome to be chatting with someone else who also likes to go out and make their own adventures. I'm hoping to start overlanding soon.

P.S I fixed the headline alittle thank you for point that out. Lol
You are most welcome. Understand the range on your vehicle and where you are going (distances) before you worry about extra fuel. There are many more important issues than that, unless you need the extra range.
Go out have fun and be safe in your journeys.
Rich

Bearpaw225

Rank III

Contributor III

Elysburg, PA, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Yeager
You are most welcome. Understand the range on your vehicle and where you are going (distances) before you worry about extra fuel. There are many more important issues than that, unless you need the extra range.
Go out have fun and be safe in your journeys.
Rich
Good point. Thanks man. I'll post a picture here of what I'm working with. It's got some good range to it and has a good amount of power to boot. V8 5.7 350. Lifted a tad bit nothing to crazy. I still wanted to fit it I to my car port lol

Reactions: freak4life

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Opinions? I’ve got 30+ years of opinions, maybe longer, ya- since about 1976. It has more to do with what NOT to buy. Don’t by cheap, do your research and purchase gear from well established companies that have a footprint world wide. ( think Frontrunner or ARB or AEV or companies similar to these) Don’t waste any more money on light bars. Get a good set of fog lamps and leave it at that. Don’t run out and buy a roof top tent. Ya, they’re cool and ya I have one and like it and use it a lot, however, we go out for weeks & months at a time and get use out of our high end RTT. So get yourself a good ground tent, good sleeping pads and a good sleeping bag. A way to carry water, ( roughly a gallon a day per person) and a way to prepare your meals, ( we use old stuff annd Corell bowls and plates) Everything else will fall into place after that. Lastly - we are nearly neighbors. Reach out if you need solid advice on gear you are considering. BTW , your tires? My rule of thumb- my tires have never been more than 2” taller than stock. The cruzer came with 31” tires I’m running 33s” the old rubicon came with 31” tires- I used to run 33s” on that. Any more then you are looking at premature wear on things like steering components, suspensions, bearings, etc etc. I’m thinking your strap is rated for 30,000 lbs, not 3,000. Get another one, just in case.

Bearpaw225

Rank III

Contributor III

Elysburg, PA, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Yeager
Opinions? I’ve got 30+ years of opinions, maybe longer, ya- since about 1976. It has more to do with what NOT to buy. Don’t by cheap, do your research and purchase gear from well established companies that have a footprint world wide. ( think Frontrunner or ARB or AEV or companies similar to these) Don’t waste any more money on light bars. Get a good set of fog lamps and leave it at that. Don’t run out and buy a roof top tent. Ya, they’re cool and ya I have one and like it and use it a lot, however, we go out for weeks & months at a time and get use out of our high end RTT. So get yourself a good ground tent, good sleeping pads and a good sleeping bag. A way to carry water, ( roughly a gallon a day per person) and a way to prepare your meals, ( we use old stuff annd Corell bowls and plates) Everything else will fall into place after that. Lastly - we are nearly neighbors. Reach out if you need solid advice on gear you are considering. BTW , your tires? My rule of thumb- my tires have never been more than 2” taller than stock. The cruzer came with 31” tires I’m running 33s” the old rubicon came with 31” tires- I used to run 33s” on that. Any more then you are looking at premature wear on things like steering components, suspensions, bearings, etc etc. I’m thinking your strap is rated for 30,000 lbs, not 3,000. Get another one, just in case.
Hey man that was a great intro message man. I appreciate it you and freak4life going out of your way to help me out. Thank again for offering to help btw. I agree on your point on you get what you pay for. Thankfully I have mainly military gear from my father that I use or gear that I got that was from a reliable company. I'm the type of person that if im gonna get something I am going to depend on I'm going to get something that is dedicate to that and not a piece of junk. So I completely agree with you. I thought about the meal prep aspect of overland and I ended up getting ahold of the old fashion Coleman stove with the gas pump on it. Sadly I'm missing the piece that hooks in and threads onto the tank. So it's been a slow start off for me so far. Not to mention as I type this we are having freezing rain and snow lol. Now onto the tires. I bought this vehicle a couple months ago and it already had 285/70/17 tires on it but they are a little bit wore. Now from what I have read this vehicle from the factory has the offroad kit pre installed on it already which is nice but even then stock it had 255/70/16 and 265/70/16. So mine has bigger rims on it already. So I was wondering what helps better I'm willing to go down to a 265 from a 285 but what are the benefits. Is it better to run a tire that's 32.08 compared to a 285 that is pretty much a 33. I think it is 32.76. Does a skinnier tire help with offroad mud and snow? I know it helps with gas and it's less power the vehicle has to push out to move but anything else?

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Great responses in this thread so far, I'll add some less glamourous absolute must-have items that I recommend for anybody going into the wilderness, especially if you typically go as a solo vehicle.
1) Maps - Have a map of the area you are exploring. Spend some time getting generally familiar with the area before you head out. Consider alternative routes as backup options in case you encounter a locked gate or impassible obstacle. If you are using only electronic maps, make sure you have a way to recharge the device, without requiring the vehicle's power if possible. Paper maps and compass are the best backup. Share a photo of your rig, including make/model and share at least generally where you are going and what your general plan/timing is.
2) Flashlights - "one is none, two is one" - I recommend at least three source of light, bonus points if you also bring extra batteries or other way to recharge them that does not require using your vehicle.
3) Recovery plan and equipment - if you get stuck, how will you recover yourself? You'll need some sort of recovery gear, this could be a shovel, it could be a winch and a bunch of rigging. it's a huge spectrum, know your recovery capabilities, and use that to inform how much risk you can comfortably take. A simple farm jack (a.k.a. Hi-Lift) is extremely versatile and relatively inexpensive. Know how to use all of your recovery gear safely and know the weight ratings of things like straps, tow points, hardware, etc.
4) Med kit(s) - Similar to recovery gear, this is a huge spectrum. Bring at least a basic first aid kit and know how to use everything you bring. In addition to the absolute basics, like band-aids and medicines (asprin, advil, zyrtec, imodium, etc) I would also recommend at minimum always carrying LOTS of gauze (rolls and pads), some triangle bandages, ace wraps and a SAM splint. WITH TRAINING I would recommend bringing a C-A-T tourniquet, staged. There's a whole bunch of other medical bits, if you have the time and money, i recommend looking for a "Wilderness First Aid" class in your area. These are typically a weekend class and cost a few hundred bucks.
5) Communication plan - have at least one way to contact somebody in an emergency. In most areas in the US, a phone will get service if you get high enough - a summit, ridgeline, etc. GMRS and or ham radio is great if you know how to use them well and know the radio-scape of the area, using repeaters, etc. InReach or SPOT devices are more expensive, but very easy to use.

Reactions: Alanymarce and MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hey man that was a great intro message man. I appreciate it you and freak4life going out of your way to help me out. Thank again for offering to help btw. I agree on your point on you get what you pay for. Thankfully I have mainly military gear from my father that I use or gear that I got that was from a reliable company. I'm the type of person that if im gonna get something I am going to depend on I'm going to get something that is dedicate to that and not a piece of junk. So I completely agree with you. I thought about the meal prep aspect of overland and I ended up getting ahold of the old fashion Coleman stove with the gas pump on it. Sadly I'm missing the piece that hooks in and threads onto the tank. So it's been a slow start off for me so far. Not to mention as I type this we are having freezing rain and snow lol. Now onto the tires. I bought this vehicle a couple months ago and it already had 285/70/17 tires on it but they are a little bit wore. Now from what I have read this vehicle from the factory has the offroad kit pre installed on it already which is nice but even then stock it had 255/70/16 and 265/70/16. So mine has bigger rims on it already. So I was wondering what helps better I'm willing to go down to a 265 from a 285 but what are the benefits. Is it better to run a tire that's 32.08 compared to a 285 that is pretty much a 33. I think it is 32.76. Does a skinnier tire help with offroad mud and snow? I know it helps with gas and it's less power the vehicle has to push out to move but anything else?
We used an old Coleman for decades, spare parts are plentiful on Amazon or fleabay. We now have a propane stove as I’m catching up with the 21st Century. . I prefer tall & skinny, but a 255/85/16 tire is not available in an AT, nor is it a common size in North America. Your rig would perform really well with 285/75/16s and that is a very common size. We spent the summer traveling to the Arctic Ocean. Our traveling companions had odd size tires, and took on a puncture/rip in one. The nearest tire shop, fortunately, was only 75 miles from camp. The shop could not get his size, so he had to buy a mismatch to carry as a spare. Also be sure to carry a full size spare and rotate all 5 tires. Over the long term you’ll save a lot of money on tires doing that. I run em for about 50,000 miles and sell them used to offset the cost.

Reactions: brien

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Great responses in this thread so far, I'll add some less glamourous absolute must-have items that I recommend for anybody going into the wilderness, especially if you typically go as a solo vehicle.
1) Maps - Have a map of the area you are exploring. Spend some time getting generally familiar with the area before you head out. Consider alternative routes as backup options in case you encounter a locked gate or impassible obstacle. If you are using only electronic maps, make sure you have a way to recharge the device, without requiring the vehicle's power if possible. Paper maps and compass are the best backup. Share a photo of your rig, including make/model and share at least generally where you are going and what your general plan/timing is.
2) Flashlights - "one is none, two is one" - I recommend at least three source of light, bonus points if you also bring extra batteries or other way to recharge them that does not require using your vehicle.
3) Recovery plan and equipment - if you get stuck, how will you recover yourself? You'll need some sort of recovery gear, this could be a shovel, it could be a winch and a bunch of rigging. it's a huge spectrum, know your recovery capabilities, and use that to inform how much risk you can comfortably take. A simple farm jack (a.k.a. Hi-Lift) is extremely versatile and relatively inexpensive. Know how to use all of your recovery gear safely and know the weight ratings of things like straps, tow points, hardware, etc.
4) Med kit(s) - Similar to recovery gear, this is a huge spectrum. Bring at least a basic first aid kit and know how to use everything you bring. In addition to the absolute basics, like band-aids and medicines (asprin, advil, zyrtec, imodium, etc) I would also recommend at minimum always carrying LOTS of gauze (rolls and pads), some triangle bandages, ace wraps and a SAM splint. WITH TRAINING I would recommend bringing a C-A-T tourniquet, staged. There's a whole bunch of other medical bits, if you have the time and money, i recommend looking for a "Wilderness First Aid" class in your area. These are typically a weekend class and cost a few hundred bucks.
5) Communication plan - have at least one way to contact somebody in an emergency. In most areas in the US, a phone will get service if you get high enough - a summit, ridgeline, etc. GMRS and or ham radio is great if you know how to use them well and know the radio-scape of the area, using repeaters, etc. InReach or SPOT devices are more expensive, but very easy to use.
X2^

Reactions: brien

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
...All I have rn is roof rack and a bull bar with led light bars attached.

... I do have a recovery strap rated for 3000lbs as well.

... I see some overlanders have gas tanks, shovels and awnings on the rigs.

...How do all of you come to find what type of gear is good for you?

...And what size tires do all of you run?
Bull bars are illegal here so we don;t have one - did have one in Africa and a bull did run into it; it helped (us, not the bull) - did not in Australia because we took our own vehicle (hence not permitted), and never ran into anything. More mass and cost for limited value in my view.

Light bars - we never drive at night so no need for extra lights.

Recovery strap - good to have, although you also need shackles and attachment points which are properly designed. WE've used ours mainly to haul others out of trouble. Know how to use them.

Gas tanks (presumably extra tanks) - only if you really don;t have the range. We had 700-800 km range on our Wrangler which was enough for everywhere we've been in that vehicle (including the Dempster and TransLabrador). We have around 5000 km range on our car at home and have only had to carry reserve on the GRR and Desert crossings. We had to carry reserve in Southwestern Bolivia and in a few places in Africa. DOn;t add reserve tansk unless you really neede them; and fill them only prior to the trajectory on which you need the reserve.

Shovel - we have a small one and have not needed another.

Awning - if you plan to camp in very hot climates or heavy rain then they're goof to have , BUT... add mass, lift CoG, and increase wind noise.

Tyres - we've run either standard or slightly more than standard size AT tyres for many years.