Western Washington Meet Up?

• HTML tutorial

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
If snow is going to be a limiting factor well into the summer, I don't think we should completely rule out somewhere further west (i.e. the Peninsula, westtern Oregon).
It seems like snow clears quicker the closer you get to the shore, and the Olympics aren't as high as the Cascades. I took FSR 23 this weekend all the way from Shelton to Quinalt through the mountains and only encountered a bit of snow.

Trixter404

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hannum
Member #

I agree. We should look at doing something on the peninsula, especially if we're talking spring/early summer as the Cascades are still getting dumped on. We could plan a WABDR trip for later in the summer.

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
Any objections to the peninsula? I can't start scouting some routes, if this is the agreed upon location.

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

I say we do the peninsula so that way we can do it sooner, it's also much more central for everyone. When I was there about 2 weeks ago I found a bunch of snow right by Dusk Point Peak and that's where I had to turn around. I haven't explored the area very much so if you know of cool places please show us haha

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
I say we do the peninsula so that way we can do it sooner, it's also much more central for everyone. When I was there about 2 weeks ago I found a bunch of snow right by Dusk Point Peak and that's where I had to turn around. I haven't explored the area very much so if you know of cool places please show us haha
I think it would be best to stick to the area around Lake Cushman. Just north of the lake is the Washington/Jefferson Pass region. Lots of service roads to explore through the hills, and we'd likely encounter some snow covered mountain roads for funsies. We could cut back to Brown Creek to camp, or find dispersed camping in the hills. Again, no "wheeling", but we would have access to remote routes and beautiful scenery. I think Dusk Point is just west of the lake, so I know you're familiar with this area.

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

That sounds good to me, that whole area is beautiful and definitely worth exploring more. I'm sure we can find some fun roads/things to play on and around, and snow is always a good time. Also, yes dusk peak is to the west. I think dispersed camping would be more fun. I was not enthralled by brown creek, there was so much trash around the campsites but I am down for whatever.

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
Sounds good to me, just wondering how many of y'all bring family along, I don't want to be the only one showing up with the wife and kids

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk
For me it depends on whether my wife is working the weekend we choose to make the trip. If she's not working, she'll be coming with me.

Regardless, I wouldn't hesitate to bring the family unit. Unless we want to make this a man-trip. Doing man-things. Driving trucks, wrestling bears, battling rival gangs. You know, man stuff.

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Unless we want to make this a man-trip. Doing man-things. Driving trucks, wrestling bears, battling rival gangs. You know, man stuff.

haha! I say if your family can make it, bring them. If my fiancée isnt in class or working ill see if she wants to come along.

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA

haha! I say if your family can make it, bring them. If my fiancée isnt in class or working ill see if she wants to come along.
That's my major consideration, as well. I planned to attend this originally without the wife, as she works weekends a lot my schedule is more flexible without her. Also, dispersed camping isn't her favorite:expressionless:

Trixter404

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hannum
Member #

Mine's also pretty much open except for this coming weekend and the weekend of May 13-15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
Fine with me. Although....if we're waiting until June, that opens up a few more options.

Fortune Creek/Gallagher Head Lake, for example. This would be a good combination of an easy wheeling trail and a great camping location overlooking a mountain lake.

Again, the I'm not opposed to sticking with the Peninsula, though. Thoughts from the crew?