Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Updated the RP. There's a few roads some of us probably know and some roads I've been wanting to check out that I think will make for a nice day out.

Feel free to give me a shout with any questions.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Looking forward to seeing everyone out there Sunday morning! Who all is planning on going so we have a rough head count?

Also, who is having difficulties with notifications? I'm considering closing this thread down and starting a new rally point. This one was migrated from the old forum/RP system and seems a little buggy for some folks. Maybe a new one would help.

Reactions: Tozan

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Terry - I have not been receiving notifications either.
I actually came on here to let you (and everyone else) know that I just ordered and received the Backcountry Discovery Route (BDR) for the mid Atlantic.

It starts at the VA/TN state line and runs all the way up to the PA/NY state line.
It’s divided into 9 sections and it looks like it would be great to do a section over a weekend...
I was hoping to bring it to the next meeting but am tied up tomorrow...
‘Please see what you can do about getting the notifications fixed ...
‘Thanks!60633D46-E81B-465B-A09D-425CCFEE9330.jpeg

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I actually came on here to let you (and everyone else) know that I just ordered and received the Backcountry Discovery Route (BDR) for the mid Atlantic.

It starts at the VA/TN state line and runs all the way up to the PA/NY state line.
It’s divided into 9 sections and it looks like it would be great to do a section over a weekend...
‘Thanks!View attachment 143446
I'm going to start a new meet-up and RP this week to try to get that taken care of. You'll have to subscribe to the new thread but you'll get a new invitation so it shouldn't be a big deal if you have messages notifications turned on.

Sorry for the issues guys. We're trying to get it fixed but it seems like the forum doesn't like the migrated threads.

@Michael

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I've got a rough route worked out and I'm going to upload it to the RP if anyone wants to have it loaded. I don't know some of the roads which are the one's I was wanting to explore but most of what we're doing that I know is 2wd friendly and easy highway. See everyone in the morning!

Reactions: Relic6.3

witchdoctor_33

Rank VI

Influencer I

Roanoke, VA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
E
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4BDT

I would highly recommend Section 3 Covington to Moorfield, it is a good Saturday through Sunday ride with camping. I have ridden sections 1-3 on my motorcycle, had a great time.

Reactions: TerryD and smlobx

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ

I never realized they had a paper map of the route. I know @witchdoctor_33 has ridden it and I've been wanting to check more of it out. It runs right by my house and there are a few parts of it I ride regularly just because they're close.

Did you get it off their website?

Last edited:

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
I never realized they had a paper map of the route. I know @witch do has ridden it and I've been wanting to check more of it out. It runs right by my house and there are a few parts of it I ride regularly just because they're close.

Did you get it off their website?
yep!

Here’s the link where I ordered it. Received it the next day!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
We'll have to see how things are going a little closer to time but as far as I know we're still looking at getting together for something in April. Anyone got any places or routes in the area they'd like to check out?

We're also wanting to do a weekend long trip to Flag Pole Knob and West Augusta in May. Looking at camping near Switzer Lake Friday night, running the trail from there to West Augusta Saturday and then camping there Saturday night. Nothing too challenging but 4wd would be a must for the trail from the lake to the peak. There's a paved road that will get you up there and then across Reddish Knob to WA is pretty smooth sailing for those that would prefer that. We can use radios and set up a rendezvous on top of Reddish Knob at the old fire tower look-out.

witchdoctor_33

Rank VI

Influencer I

Roanoke, VA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
E
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4BDT
We'll have to see how things are going a little closer to time but as far as I know we're still looking at getting together for something in April. Anyone got any places or routes in the area they'd like to check out?

We're also wanting to do a weekend long trip to Flag Pole Knob and West Augusta in May. Looking at camping near Switzer Lake Friday night, running the trail from there to West Augusta Saturday and then camping there Saturday night. Nothing too challenging but 4wd would be a must for the trail from the lake to the peak. There's a paved road that will get you up there and then across Reddish Knob to WA is pretty smooth sailing for those that would prefer that. We can use radios and set up a rendezvous on top of Reddish Knob at the old fire tower look-out.
I may have a couple of routes that we can pick from for a fun day trip.

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Just wanted to let people know that I finally got my HAM license on Sunday!

Now I just have to figure out how to use my Baofeng!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Just wanted to let people know that I finally got my HAM license on Sunday!

Now I just have to figure out how to use my Baofeng!
Maybe we need to get everyone together and look at everyone's radios. We've got a few new and aspiring hams in the group and it would be good to have a little training on use and etiquette.

Reactions: RVA Overland

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Maybe we need to get everyone together and look at everyone's radios. We've got a few new and aspiring hams in the group and it would be good to have a little training on use and etiquette.
‘That would be great!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Hey folks! Who'd be up for a radio day? We were talking about using a park in Salem and working to help folks get familiar with their radios and basic use then actually play with them some around the park just for some close proximity learning.

Maybe follow it up with some use around town while we convoy out for some supper!

CB, FRS/GMRS and Ham all welcome!

This is of course dependant on the current situation the country is dealing with and how it plays out.

The meet-up automatically fell on Easter Sunday and I'm not even sure of my plans that weekend as of writing this. The following weekend I'm going to be busy but let's put our heads together and figure out what'll work good for the majority of us.