El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
Hello and welcome to the Overland Bound First Aid Bootcamp section!

Here you will find all things related to first aid. We will be bringing more content in the future and if you have any suggestions as to what you would like to see please feel free to ask. Either via the thread for topic requests or private message to me.

I have always felt that basic first aid should be a skill that everyone has. Given the risks involved in overlanding and the reality that we like to get away from civilization (which means away from structured emergency medical services), accidents can have more severe impacts and worse outcomes than when we are at home. The reality of first aid/trauma care in the field is that there is not much you can do but what you can do has the potential to be life saving. Just knowing how to stop bleeding with pressure and feeling confident enough to actually do it can save a life. The purpose of this section is to provide consistent, structured first aid and trauma care information so that you can feel confident in your skills and knowledge should you be faced with a medical emergency.

I should share a little about myself and explain how I got the honor of moderating this section. I am a board certified General and Trauma Surgeon who also enjoys spending time outdoors. I have been camping my entire life and been faced with my fair share of wilderness emergencies. I teach Advanced Trauma Life Support to medical providers who need to know how to stabilize a patient for transfer to a trauma center and teach surgical residents how to operate and care for surgical patients. I have always enjoyed teaching and will be bringing informal first aid/trauma care classes to my local Overland Bound Community and Videos for those who can't join us in person. Please let me know if you have questions, don't agree with or understand anything I have said, or just want to know more about something in this section.

Chris

Resume: American College of Surgeons Board Certification in General Surgery, Fellow American College of Surgeons, Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS ) Instructor, Flight Surgeon East Bay Regional Parks Police/Rescue Helicopter, Chief of Surgery Sutter Delta Medical Center.

Status
Not open for further replies.