Launch Member

Member I

Virginia, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Hildner
Member #

Hi all, Steve here from Northern Va. I love the outdoors and been getting excited to learn about overlanding, meeting new folks, and exploring. I currently have a Wrangler JK with a custom M416 trailer outfitted for adventure. Been thinking about a new Rubicon. I would love some advice on areas to explore as a noob in the NoVa area.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thank you, I see you're not terribly far away so jus t a quick question, I was thinking of checking out rickets glen over the holiday weekend, any recommendations for the park or the general area?
I’m even closer to Ricketts than my location suggests. It’s the most visited state park and the main reason for that is all the waterfalls but that’s certainly not the only reason to visit. The beach on Lake Jean is also a popular destination in the park. If you want to go swimming the lake will be the warmest water available. The water on the falls trails will be cold cold. I’d encourage you to to walk the entire falls trail and that includes checking out the gorge area along Rt 118. If you intend to camp in Ricketts I’d also encourage you to make reservations. I hope spots are still available over the holiday weekend.

If you want to see another waterfall (Sullivan Falls), a good swimming hole (Mill Dam), and a scenic drive to an old town nestled in a valley you could take Jamison City Road to.... you guessed it.. Jamison City. It’s surrounded by State Game Lands and you can swing by The Jamison City Hotel and ‘the penny bar’ for a bite to eat. The area is popular for the Air National Guard and their A-10’s to practice low level terrain flying.

If you’re interested in a day trip to see another State Park I’d recommend checking out Worlds End State Park.

Hope this helps. You can always feel free to message me with any questions.

Reactions: Tuck1562

Manbeast

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

Pennsylvania
Member #

I’m even closer to Ricketts than my location suggests. It’s the most visited state park and the main reason for that is all the waterfalls but that’s certainly not the only reason to visit. The beach on Lake Jean is also a popular destination in the park. If you want to go swimming the lake will be the warmest water available. The water on the falls trails will be cold cold. I’d encourage you to to walk the entire falls trail and that includes checking out the gorge area along Rt 118. If you intend to camp in Ricketts I’d also encourage you to make reservations. I hope spots are still available over the holiday weekend.

If you want to see another waterfall (Sullivan Falls), a good swimming hole (Mill Dam), and a scenic drive to an old town nestled in a valley you could take Jamison City Road to.... you guessed it.. Jamison City. It’s surrounded by State Game Lands and you can swing by The Jamison City Hotel and ‘the penny bar’ for a bite to eat. The area is popular for the Air National Guard and their A-10’s to practice low level terrain flying.

If you’re interested in a day trip to see another State Park I’d recommend checking out Worlds End State Park.

Hope this helps. You can always feel free to message me with any questions.
Thank you, I've heard that getting a reservation in rickets can be difficult at best

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Hi all, Steve here from Northern Va. I love the outdoors and been getting excited to learn about overlanding, meeting new folks, and exploring. I currently have a Wrangler JK with a custom M416 trailer outfitted for adventure. Been thinking about a new Rubicon. I would love some advice on areas to explore as a noob in the NoVa area.
Welcome Steve ... from NOVA myself!

Be sure to check out on Northern VA/MD Thread: Northern VA / MD Monthly Meetups

NolanDick

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boston, MA, USA
First Name
Nolan
Last Name
Dick
Member #

Hello,

Just joined out of Boston, MA. Looking for some trails, friends, ideas, or anything. Hope all is well,

Nolan

Tuck1562

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lancaster, PA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Krause
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3RQG
New member and new to Overlanding..have been a Jeep guy for long time, 2002 WJ currently, getting older, older Wranglers and CJs were getting tough on me. If this works out, got wife talked into a newer Wrangler. Looking forward to getting out and getting involved. Lancaster PA. Hope to hit NY, VA, W. VA, NJ and other areas soon to start learning and working out kinks.
Thanks