• HTML tutorial

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

It's only going to get worse.

Just look into Agenda 21. The process started years ago - back in the late 90s. That's when they started blocking off exit ramps and turn-offs in the more remote and rural areas.

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Not sure there should be any concern. This is the local population protecting their land and watersheds and doing so because dispersed camping and boon docking has grown and many of us are ignorant of the impact our behavior has on the land we "love".

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
My hope is that, post COVID-19, the popularity of "overlanding" will wane in favor of luxury travel / all inclusive resort travel. The travel industry will likely be providing huge incentives to encourage this and those of us who aren't just COVID Campers will enjoy a great second hand market along with wide open spaces. I just want that to happen before too much damage is done.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Nope. There's campground shutdowns coming for simply the sake of shutdowns.

Promote shutting down state parks and public land campgrounds to save the whales. Even if it's based on BS. "Polar bears are running out of ice because of campfires.''. Birds of prey are dying due to lead exposure from cars.''. Meanwhile mice are burrowing in lead filled earth, I've seen so many humpback whales that I'm sick of seeing them, and I can walk to the North Pole.

If you get a shutdown bill to pass, you look like a steward of the environment and have a ''set for life'' political career. If it fails, you can blame the other party for everything, and you're ''set for life'' in a political career . It's a win win, if you have no problem screwing over outdoors enthusiasts.

Fake elections, and brainwashed masses, have consequences. Good job.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I know not all but I run into a few
And Jeeps and Toyotas and Fords and ... all types of vehicles have their yahoos.

The article, like so many others and forums etc like to single out vans because of the 'vanlife movement', though include all other vehicles as "car-campers."

The larger point is that places are restricting dispersed camping because too many folks in whatever kind of vehicles have no clue about leaving places better than they found it. Most just don't know better because they haven't camped that much or had to clean up after others.

Others are just willfully negligent and don't give a damn. I removed a full portable toilet one time left behind by a overland blinged out Land Cruiser, who couldn't be bothered to take it to the composting outhouse a couple hundred yards away, which he drove by to get to his spot.

I pick up debris and food waste, and put out fires, and pick out shattered glass and burned cans from fires all the time left behind by careless campers who arrive in all sorts of vehicles.

It's the main reason, as the article says, that "extensive resource damage" is happening. Drivers going around mud spots and making trails wider, or making new trails where there were none before. Cutting live trees along trails for firewood. I stopped a kid one time who was chopping down a 5" living tree in a campground. He said "My dad told me to go cut some wood..."

It was happening a lot before the pandemic, too. The increase in number of people looking for safe ways to social distance has only increased the number of visitors to parks and wildlife management areas.

Being proactive and helping others understand how they can leave a place better than they found it is key, and needs to happen more at the local, state, and federal levels in an organized way. There have been all kinds of campaigns to educate, and a lot falls on deaf ears.

In the end it is up to us as users to do better.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

If I am not mistaken they also do this to get benefits from the State that has that land. Basically it makes it look like the parks aren't making enough revenue from the public which in turns leads to grants and other funds appointed to the park. Don't hold me to this exactly but it goes something like that. I've heard of this with multiple agencies that do the same thing. They will in turn tell the public it is for (insert anything that sounds like saving the animals and trees). People will protest and voice their opinion and thoughts but then the better off tier of people will start going, well what if we raise money or do donations for the park...etc. WHAMMO money comes into the governments pocket. I know folks don't like to hear it but it comes down to politics and dollars. No folks shouldn't go out and rip through the trails and waterways but that honestly probably only accounts for a very small percentage of the overall closures.

• Sad
Reactions: Desert Runner

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Nope. There's campground shutdowns coming for simply the sake of shutdowns.

Promote shutting down state parks and public land campgrounds to save the whales. Even if it's based on BS. "Polar bears are running out of ice because of campfires.''. Birds of prey are dying due to lead exposure from cars.''. Meanwhile mice are burrowing in lead filled earth, I've seen so many humpback whales that I'm sick of seeing them, and I can walk to the North Pole.

If you get a shutdown bill to pass, you look like a steward of the environment and have a ''set for life'' political career. If it fails, you can blame the other party for everything, and you're ''set for life'' in a political career . It's a win win, if you have no problem screwing over outdoors enthusiasts.

Fake elections, and brainwashed masses, have consequences. Good job.
And this is exactly what Agenda 21 is about. It ain't no 'conspiracy theory' it is a resolution passed by the UN that American politicians are wholeheartedly supporting.

CG87

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Glasgow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
I'm starting to realize the Movie "Idiocracy", is coming to full fruition. Mike Judge hit it on the head...I too have set my rig up for outback camping, I usually only set up after rough sections where the Sprinters and Subaru's won't make it, here's one my parent's came across this, particular individual, on Mt. Antero in Colorado last year.

Attachments

CG87

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Glasgow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
I guess this is what happens when a species has no natural predator and keeps on dodging natural selection. Spend their time and resources making ferrets and straws illegal. Maybe the Chinese will come out with a better population control virus the next time.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Some merit there but in the Arrow Lakes no one is doing it for political careers. The locals are just pissed when out of Province plates mono[polize "our" beaches". Even if they clean up the locals who live here want to enjoy their backyard. Right now the discussion is on about gating a bunch of lake access roads by 10pm.... and banning overnite parking.

Rather than "no camping" which gets argued about, these are the signs used today.

no-parking-signs-no-overnight-parking-violators-towed-l6784-lg.jpg

Not a conspiracy theory, most of this is driven by local residents.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Not sure there should be any concern. This is the local population protecting their land and watersheds and doing so because dispersed camping and boon docking has grown and many of us are ignorant of the impact our behavior has on the land we "love".
Unelected, unaccountable tiny tyrants deciding what is best for you.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Paradise lost, my friend, with Overlanding being the new craze, expect a lot more closures. I could go into a rant but I will leave it at that.
This is why I want my rig to handle more tough and rugged terrain, I dont want to pull up next to a van or a prius
I run a van and have be camping/ overlanding longer than you been on this earth and have been places you only dream about. Maybe I would think the same of you.

Reactions: 1Louder and Road

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I'm starting to realize the Movie "Idiocracy", is coming to full fruition. Mike Judge hit it on the head...I too have set my rig up for outback camping, I usually only set up after rough sections where the Sprinters and Subaru's won't make it, here's one my parent's came across this, particular individual, on Mt. Antero in Colorado last year.
=========================================================================================================
Wow, how the heck did they manage that. That road looks.....TAME. Nothing that looks challenging or would induce a capsize.:astonished: