Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Here in Colorado I got the HydroBlu 4 gallon Jerry. Its hand pumped and filtered. Heres a link of a writeup I did. I can always find water here, so this fits the bill and I never run out. For our upcoming Moab trip, I will bring an extra 5 gallons. Discount if you use the link, I really dont care if you buy one or not but they are really cool.

I have 6 potable water cans, all military. 3 USA tan specter, and 3 British black containers. They are all HD construction vs the commercial offerings. I also have a old-non potable US GI steel can for fire safety use, if needed. I purchased the 6 for Y2K all those years ago when everyone was not sure what would happen when the clock struck 12. Living in the desert SW, it just made sense to be minimally prepared. Begging the neighbors for permission to DIP out of their pool was a last option, had that been necessary. There is also the states back country requirements of so many gallons of water to be carried for fire prevention along with a shovel and axe, when fire season is in effect. Depending on the state, there are fines that can be leveled. I purchased the high-end Swiss made backpacker water purifier, because i wanted something more than a Sawyer Straw.

TSnider

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carbondale, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0UYA
I have 6 potable water cans, all military. 3 USA tan specter, and 3 British black containers. They are all HD construction vs the commercial offerings. I also have a old-non potable US GI steel can for fire safety use, if needed. I purchased the 6 for Y2K all those years ago when everyone was not sure what would happen when the clock struck 12. Living in the desert SW, it just made sense to be minimally prepared. Begging the neighbors for permission to DIP out of their pool was a last option, had that been necessary. There is also the states back country requirements of so many gallons of water to be carried for fire prevention along with a shovel and axe, when fire season is in effect. Depending on the state, there are fines that can be leveled. I purchased the high-end Swiss made backpacker water purifier, because i wanted something more than a Sawyer Straw.
The straws wont cut it for sure! I have several brands and types of water filters for back country hunting, and I always carry a spare if I am relying on filtration. Gravity bags, UV lights, pumps, etc.

Reactions: Desert Runner

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I mostly carry water for hydration and sanitation (bottle showers, etc.), not cleaning. I use disposable plates when I can't eat out of a bag or cook pot. I use disposable cups for adult beverages. What I wash is limited to rinsing my coffee mug, pot or pan (although most of the time I just heated water or cooked eggs), and my utensils.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Mostly use paper plates that can be burned, save all utensils and dishes to be washed at most often once a day (usually after breakfast). I use the grill, and the fire as often as I can so as to save on dishes.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Another thing I thought of is how you cook your meals. For breakfast, I like to cook my bacon in the cast iron skillet, then crack my eggs in to it. Clean up is a splash of water heated up and scraped around and a quick wipe with a paper towel. If I dump the eggs and bacon in to some tortillas (as I mentioned above) I'm not dirtying any plates or utensils.

2boverlanding

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Prince George, BC, Canada
Member #

Here in British Columbia we are never that far from some source of water. I carry two 20 litre (5 gallon) water jugs with me. Once one is empty we will find a water supply and use our life straw filter to refill the empty jug. Up till recently i freeze 2 litre (2quart) water bottles to use in the coolers. This helps keep the cooler drier and acts as a backup supply of water.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

When it comes to washing, I use lake/stream water. And I use copious amounts of water.
No need to wash with drinking water.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I just looked up the Hydroblu on Amazon..... $372.00 wow !!

JaimyMac630

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Rescue, California, USA
First Name
Jaimy
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

Here’s what I’ve been using recently...I go through about 2 gallons of water per weekend to wash dishes, hands and add some boiling water from the jetboil or leave in the sun for a quick shower. 5EC7354F-63D2-49B9-AAF1-A4917470A842.jpeg

Eric W.

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Wallace
Member #

Trillium23

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kingman, AZ, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Stevens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WGU
I carry water inside the 4runner in the USA military Specter water containers. When we go out remote for five days or more I use the Zep spray bottles from Home Depot. One is filled with just water and the other is water and dish soap. We use them to wash dishes, hands, face everything. Spray on soap clean then spray off with with water. Done. One spray bottle will last many days.

Reactions: Eric W.

steelheadbum

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Tak
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6PAZ

Pardon my video as this is still in finalization stage.

Here's my setup with a 12v cigarette plug and a portable system (if desired). This packs up with my hose/spray head/water siphon tube. My thought was to use my 7 gal water jug that can live deep in the truck bed by the rear passenger seat. All can come out to a kitchen area if desired. My pump has a siphon that can clip into the nozzle of the pump box to the water jug (no pressure needed). Power goes to rear charger which makes it more convenient to run front/back, but not necessary. Main pump unit is a seaflo that has fairly low amp draw. I like the faucet mounted to water jug as well but I worry that it will break off if not properly secured. My portable pump was made out of a pelican like case so its fairly durable.

Last edited:
Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines

Pardon my video as this is still in finalization stage.

Here's my setup with a 12v cigarette plug and a portable system (if desired). This packs up with my hose/spray head/water siphon tube. My thought was to use my 7 gal water jug that can live deep in the truck bed by the rear passenger seat. All can come out to a kitchen area if desired. My pump has a siphon that can clip into the nozzle of the pump box to the water jug (no pressure needed). Power goes to rear charger which makes it more convenient to run front/back, but not necessary. Main pump unit is a seaflo that has fairly low amp draw. I like the faucet mounted to water jug as well but I worry that it will break off if not properly secured. My portable pump was made out of a pelican like case so its fairly durable.
what pump is that? i'm doing a set up for my camper shell and went with a small pump for very low amp draw, but if you can run that off a lighter port and get that kind of pressure, that is way better than the route i'm currently going...