Launch Member

Explorer I

Maiden North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Bellesfield
Member #

What dishes or utensils do you use to cut down on water use for food preparation and eating? I am trying to limit trash amounts and using one time use items. We all know there is limited water capacity in many vehicles.

Reactions: Drifterman

tenebs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Margy
Last Name
Green
Member #

I live in the desert and remote camp so water use is a major concern. To limit water use but provide ease of use I installed a manual pump faucet in an extra sceptre can lid. This provides the perfect amount of water for my needs. Documented here: https://www.margygreen.com/Blog-Adventure/Sceptre-Water-Cansceptre%20water%20cans_15Sep2018_018.jpegsceptre%20water%20cans_15Sep2018_010.jpeg

tenebs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Margy
Last Name
Green
Member #

$$$ how much
This pump faucett was ~ $30 on Amazon but you can vertical pump version on Amazon and eBay for ~$10. I have past experience with the one I used. You can use a sceptre can or aquatainer or any container with a lid to.mount the faucet to. It doesn't require a sealed system to work.

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

That's a way cool idea. Does pumping the faucet build up vacuum in the can? If so,does it have a built in vent or did you put a small hole in the original cap you used?

I think this is the only DIY or otherwise version I've seen that keeps the can upright. I like it!

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

D'oh. got fascinated by the faucet mod and forgot to finish my post.

I use reusable plates if it's more than just me, my cook pot when solo. Usually wash with filtered local water to clean up (we have plenty here in the SE US most of the time), and biodegradable soap. TBH, I'm not the most hygienic on the trail. If I can just wipe it out and wash every couple of days, it's acceptable to me (I do either heat or boil water in cooking pots to sanitize them). My SO has a different opinion, so we swap off and the one who doesn't cook does the dishes.

We use dishcloths, not paper towels 90% of the time, and bandannas instead of paper for napkins. You can throw them in a pot of boiling water if you absolutely must :).

No, this isn't super water-conservative, but I carry a personal filter in my BoB and a relatively high output pump water filter in my truck, and live in a place where you can find water consistently.

tenebs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Margy
Last Name
Green
Member #

No vacuum or pressurization of the jug is required. All pumping suction is with in the pump and hose (you can test the facuet pumping action just by holding the end of the hose in an open container of water. So the lid doesn't have to be cranked down tight.
BTW, this is the same faucet AT Overland includes with their trailer water tanks.

That's a way cool idea. Does pumping the faucet build up vacuum in the can? If so,does it have a built in vent or did you put a small hole in the original cap you used?

I think this is the only DIY or otherwise version I've seen that keeps the can upright. I like it!

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

no, I mean does pumping water out of the jug create a vacuum (it should if it's not vented and if the lid *is* screwed down tight) That would limit the flow after a certain amount of time.

I ask because it's a known problem with some small RV water tanks that use a pump faucet vs. an electric pump (and even some with electric pumps). There are DIY fixes for the RV tanks, but the simplest for this would be put a small hole in the 'spare' plastic lid for the jerry can that has the pump in it...

Was hoping this particular manual pump faucet solved it altogether; it would be nice to not have to come up with potential leak prone DIY solutions if this faucet was used elsewhere.

tenebs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Margy
Last Name
Green
Member #

no, I mean does pumping water out of the jug create a vacuum (it should if it's not vented and if the lid *is* screwed down tight) That would limit the flow after a certain amount of time.

I ask because it's a known problem with some small RV water tanks that use a pump faucet vs. an electric pump (and even some with electric pumps). There are DIY fixes for the RV tanks, but the simplest for this would be put a small hole in the 'spare' plastic lid for the jerry can that has the pump in it...

Was hoping this particular manual pump faucet solved it altogether; it would be nice to not have to come up with potential leak prone DIY solutions if this faucet was used elsewhere.
I've never had that problem with tight lids on the jug or on my trailer.

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

To limit water use, think like a backpacker. Whether store bought or home-dehydrated, when we backpack we add boiling water to the bag which is in its own coozie, let it rehydrate and eat out of the bag. While this doesn't solve your one time use concerns, it is very minimalistic. You're left with a spoon to lick and a ziplock to pack out.
To be honest though, we are usually backpacking in conjunction with an overloading/camping trip, and nothing beats getting back to the skottle and stove after a long hike.
Pro tip; don't pour boiling water in discount ziplock bags, use quality freezer bags if you make your own dehydrated meals. The cheapies wrinkle up and almost look melted and gross.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

we take 20 gals of water with us. 20 gals keep us quite satisfied this takes care of our cooking & cleaning : washing dishes, bowls, pots, utensils even showers (once a day) & drinking. We figured out how much water is needed to keep "ourselves" hydrate, cleaning dishes & hygiene from staying in one spot or traveling from one destination to another. We even have enough on reserve for the cooling system for the vehicle if overheating problems accrues.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have 3 British military, and 3 tan USA military specter water jugs. All in the 5 gallon size. I have never used all of them at once, but they are there, just in case. I also have a 4 gallon water jug that has a spigot for measured water...aka.. dispersal for dish cleaning/hand washing etc. I just like to have options, as they can be trip dependent. If you are doing desert travel in the summertime, water is more important than fuel.

Only once did i use 5 containers of water and that was a 2 week back country vehicle camp, where unknown creek water was the only alternative. This was pre-water treatment systems, and the temperature was cool in the fall.. When your talking SW summers, water is critical, and should be planned for diligently.

EDIT:
See a updated response to this earlier thread, below!

Last edited:

TSnider

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carbondale, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0UYA
Here in Colorado I got the HydroBlu 4 gallon Jerry. Its hand pumped and filtered. Heres a link of a writeup I did. I can always find water here, so this fits the bill and I never run out. For our upcoming Moab trip, I will bring an extra 5 gallons. Discount if you use the link, I really dont care if you buy one or not but they are really cool.