Guzzle H2O

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Hood River, Oregon, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
B
Are you guys going to be at the Northwest Overland Rally in Plain Washington? I won’t be able to make the Expo. Do you guys do tours through the plant?
We are planning on being at the NW Overland Rally. Tours of our factory are by appointment, hit us up at info@guzzleh2o.com and we can arrange something or product demos off site.

Reactions: M Rose

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I have a Pur pimp/filter from my backpacking days. I think that’s now Katydyn. There ar3 places I know it will plug quickly, like glacial fed streams. My backup has been an iodine crystal product. One bottle is good to treat 2,000 liters. I’ve had it a long time and it has no self life limit.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Sawyer or lifestaw have stuff that would work. Sawyers use the same type of filter that they use for dialasys patients and they can be cleaned by back flushing with clean water. We have sawyer inline on camelpacks in a emergency the camelpack can be used as the filter and i let the water drain into another container

Bigt8ter

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Holden Beach, N.C.
First Name
ROB
Last Name
JUSTICE
I have used the Berkey! Donated it to local Fire Department. Mine would filter 55 gallons in 24 hrs. Plans on purchasing the go berkley kit $182.00, its pefect for campimg. go to theberkey.com
1581947229699.png
Berkey Water Filters can remove:
  • Fluoride - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Viruses – Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Pathogenic Bacteria - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Lead - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Arsenic - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Iron - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Mercury - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Chlorine - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Trihalomethane(THMs) – Removed to greater than 99.8%.
  • Bisphenol-A - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Chloramines - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Pharmaceuticals - Removed to greater than 99.5%.
  • Petroleum Contaminants - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Methylcyclohexane-methane - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Pesticides - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Heavy Metals - Removed to greater than 99.1%.
  • Coliform and e-Coli - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Atrazine - Removed to greater than 99.9%.
  • Uranium - Removed to greater than 97.0%.
  • Gross Alpha emitters - Removed to greater than 98.7%.

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
I've used Sawyer Filters for several years filtering backcountry water sources while hiking. I would stay away from the Sawyer mini (the flow-rate on the mini makes me want to punch puppies) and buy the full sized Sawyer filter. Usually, filtering water for two people, I have to backflush it once a week or so. Drawbacks to the Sawyer is the Squeeze bags they come with are prone to leaking and if you aren't using a gravity filter, squeezing the bags to force water through the filter can be come tedious. Strengths are lightweight (not as critical to overlanders, but very critical to hikers) and the .1 micron size filtering. Will still need to boil or treat with UV light to kill viruses.

Most water stored for a long time will grow bacteria of some sort, unless everything is sterilized before hand. Hard to do that when overlanding. Best thing to do is to treat water in small batches and not store it more than a day or two in containers before drinking it. Boiling water for cooking kills the organic organisms, but not the man-made poisons that may contaminate water.

As much as I like the idea of guzzle H2o, I balk at the price tag when a Sawyer filter is ~ 40 at Wal-mart. I'm sure a lot of that cost is in the battery. Maybe make one without the battery?

Seamoss

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Winchester, KY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Service Branch
Army 2002-2008
Nothing like a Berkey. We have a Royal Berkey for our primary water at home and I cant imagine ever going back. We always fill our waterport and water bricks with Berkey water before heading out. For remote water, Im still using an old MSR system that can be flushed in the field. Ive had the same once since the mid 2000s and its still going strong.

Seamoss

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Winchester, KY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Service Branch
Army 2002-2008
Nothing like a Berkey.
California made the Berkey systems Illegal.
Had to look it up to believe it

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Had to look it up to believe it
I didn't believe it either. There's a store near me that sells them now. The manager said something about being able to sell them due to a loophole his company found.

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
Might be good for a group. Looks like the filter that was shown on XOverland when they picked up Team5 in Guatemaula

Reactions: mep1811

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

Now that you mention it, it did look familiar. I will have to double check that.

I should have probably said why I was looking for one, I hope to one day visit some coffee farms down in S.A.that I do business with. Figure if I am gonna go, if I can, why not overland lol

it’s a want not a need for sure but figured I would ask the experts on OB.

Guzzle H2O

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Hood River, Oregon, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
B
You should check out the Stream. It is overall much more suited to overland travel. It is smaller and lighter, about 10 lbs. Also the LED UV system is much more robust and durable than the fragile glass and quartz UV systems. It doesn't put out as high a flow rate, but the functionality more than makes up for it.

Check out the Stream

Also, it actually has the battery included in the case, so you can bring it to the waters edge and pump water into your camper tanks. Here is a good demonstration:

Attachments