Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Gonna give these Water Bricks a shot. I’ve read mixed reviews: some love them, some say they leak. I like the stack-ability and flexibility to increase or decrease my water capacity, depending on length of trip. They hold 3.5 gallons (13.25 liters) each.

Regardless, at $20 each it’s an inexpensive experiment.

Oh, and bungees are just there for fitment, I have more robust straps to go on when they’re actually full of water.

View attachment 167140

View attachment 167138

View attachment 167137
I love you rig, it was a pleasure to meet both of you! I like the idea of freezing them first as I don’t run a rig, I would be very careful about freezing a over filled brick, would split them for sure.

Last edited:

RoverLander

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Don
Last Name
MacGregor
Member #

I love you rig, it was a pleasure to meet both of you! I like the idea of freezing them first as I don’t run a rig, I would be very careful about freezing a over filled brick, would split them for sure.
I know RotoPax have a fill line for freezing, but these don't. I would just assume a 75-80% fill level (water expands by just under 10% when frozen) as a safe guideline. I took these out on our little trip up to Holcomb Valley and can report zero leakage. I did find that the handles are a bit rattly, but you can always remove them (or just don't bother putting them on to begin with) as there are plentry of surfaces to get a good grip on when handling them.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I don’t understand if folks want a lower bung just put one in, easy to do. I will pass on the handles.

Pyledriver

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Emily
Last Name
Pyle
Member #

I'm trying to get a sense of whether two of these stack well in a long standard milk crate.

I'm specifically wondering if the interlocking ridges interfere with the fit. The posted dimensions suggest that two could lay side-by-side in a crate, but I can't tell if they include those ridges when they say 6"

May someone please post a picture of two bricks stacked side-by-side in one crate? Alternatively, can someone post the real dimensions of one unit?

Thanks,
I’m not entirely sure of what you’re after but I have a long milk crate and 2 bricks. I don’t think this will work well. You might get them in with force but getting out will take a full out recovery job! Ridges definitely cause the issue, but length or width slightly too long also. I don’t think even the half bricks would work. Hope this helps.20C52AC5-E0F6-43C5-9414-5F47A12DB219.jpegCA4A184E-8827-4921-BE0C-D28318425C03.jpeg20C52AC5-E0F6-43C5-9414-5F47A12DB219.jpegCA4A184E-8827-4921-BE0C-D28318425C03.jpegF8ADE70F-D663-45DE-BEE0-02F83CB6935D.jpeg

Reactions: oglj

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I know RotoPax have a fill line for freezing, but these don't. I would just assume a 75-80% fill level (water expands by just under 10% when frozen) as a safe guideline. I took these out on our little trip up to Holcomb Valley and can report zero leakage. I did find that the handles are a bit rattly, but you can always remove them (or just don't bother putting them on to begin with) as there are plentry of surfaces to get a good grip on when handling them.
It's not exactly obvious where to find this, but they have this on their site to show how to use them as blocks of ice. Block of Ice - WaterBrick | Building Hope...Saving Lives!

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I was using the water bricks for a while but got frustrated with the spigot and having tilt them to get all the water to out. I switched out to MSR dromedary bags that I hang from my roof rack...they drain completely and when empty take up virtually no space.