Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Don
Last Name
MacGregor
Member #

Gonna give these Water Bricks a shot. I’ve read mixed reviews: some love them, some say they leak. I like the stack-ability and flexibility to increase or decrease my water capacity, depending on length of trip. They hold 3.5 gallons (13.25 liters) each.

Regardless, at $20 each it’s an inexpensive experiment.

Oh, and bungees are just there for fitment, I have more robust straps to go on when they’re actually full of water.

117887950_10223485990072962_2466263919004773842_n.jpg

117650359_10223485990632976_5782068157231223985_n (1).jpg

117795260_10223485990232966_3653429343098585698_n.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

RoverLander

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Don
Last Name
MacGregor
Member #

I got these on Amazon, but they're available on a few other sites. I'm going to do a static test at home first, letting them sit filled to capacity, probably with the cap end down to see if I get any leakage. Then I'll probably drive around a bit with them filled as well. The spout cap replaces a regular cap (which comes with each contaioner), so I'll travel with the regular cap on each one and only insert the spout when I need to draw water.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

I use 3 of the smaller version as the water source for my off road trailer in conjunction with a pressure switched pump. I just move the suction hose from one container to the next and I can fill containers without disabling the water supply. They have held up well and no leak issues.

KIMG0245.JPG

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I have one and there are three things about it that frustrate me:
1) It's a pain to remove the cap when the handle is in place.
2) Since the spigot is centered in the brick you can only use 50% of the water when the brick is level, to use the rest you have to tilt the brick.
3) It's difficult to actually get all of the water out so the brick can dry out after a trip.

The above could be due to user error, but overall I find the Water Bricks frustrating to use in camp.

oglj

Rank 0

Contributor I

valle del sol, az
First Name
og
Last Name
lopez
Since the spigot is centered in the brick you can only use 50% of the water when the brick is level, to use the rest you have to tilt the brick.
This is the primary detractor for me, but I'm still in the market and could be sold on a pump system.

Does anyone here with multiples know how two of them stack in a standard oblong plastic milk crate?

Thanks,

RoverLander

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Don
Last Name
MacGregor
Member #

This is the primary detractor for me, but I'm still in the market and could be sold on a pump system.

Does anyone here with multiples know how two of them stack in a standard oblong plastic milk crate?

Thanks,
I have to believe that tilting to get the last 40-50% out is still better than having to tilt a full jerry can to get even the FIRST 10% out (or having to insert a pump into the can). While my photo shows the spigot in the bottom container, I'll obviously just start at the top and work down as there's no way to put it into the bottom container without taking them all out, tilting the bottom brick vertical, inserting the spigot, then stacking them back in the same order. At worst, I'll have to tilt a 1/2 full 3 gallon brick to get the last dregs out.

Last edited:
Reactions: oglj and Sparksalot

RoverLander

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Don
Last Name
MacGregor
Member #

I use 3 of the smaller version as the water source for my off road trailer in conjunction with a pressure switched pump. I just move the suction hose from one container to the next and I can fill containers without disabling the water supply. They have held up well and no leak issues.

View attachment 167219
That's a nice setup. With then set vertically, you definitely don't need to worry about leakage. We'll see how they fare when stowed horizontally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparksalot

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Gonna give these Water Bricks a shot. I’ve read mixed reviews: some love them, some say they leak. I like the stack-ability and flexibility to increase or decrease my water capacity, depending on length of trip. They hold 3.5 gallons (13.25 liters) each.

Regardless, at $20 each it’s an inexpensive experiment.

Oh, and bungees are just there for fitment, I have more robust straps to go on when they’re actually full of water.

View attachment 167140

View attachment 167138

View attachment 167137
I am very much interested in the review once you give them a go.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
That's a nice setup. With then set vertically, you definitely don't need to worry about leakage. We'll see how they fare when stowed horizontally.
I have 5 stacked horizontally in my garage. Been that way for a year now, and no leakage.

glade8r

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklinton, NC, USA
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Wells
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4UFU
I went a similar route but I went with the Sagan AquaBrick. I also got the water filtration system. They are not cheap lol

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

I have Two of them and They Leak a Little - I just put a Plastic Bag Under the Cap and Screw it down Stops the Leak - Other than the Leak there solid

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I bought 4 of the WaterBricks for our recently-completed trip to Colorado; Filled 2 of them as directed for freezing and tossed them into the freezer to work as blocks of ice initially, left the other 2 empty to fill once we got there.

Had no problems with them in terms of leaks, can confirm the annoyance with the caps, spigot, and handles but no other complaints. They're pretty tough compared to some other water storage devices and interlocking/stacking is great.

For drying after use I just leave them on the counter with the opening up and the cap off, they will fully air dry in like a day. And yes, getting the last bit of water out is futile if you want to use that bit of water. I end up just holding them upside down and shaking them to get it out, then there's just a small amount of water left that will evaporate. They work well enough and I don't expect to replace them with something else unless that something else is a full on-board water tank with pump, etc. For portable water storage I'm happy with them.

RoverLander

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Don
Last Name
MacGregor
Member #

I’ve had the water bricks filled for three days to hopefully eliminate some of the plastic odor, and to check for leaks. I put the spigot on the bottom brick to see if the weight of two full bricks on top of it affects the seal. So far, static test is a success.

media.jpg

oglj

Rank 0

Contributor I

valle del sol, az
First Name
og
Last Name
lopez
I'm trying to get a sense of whether two of these stack well in a long standard milk crate.

I'm specifically wondering if the interlocking ridges interfere with the fit. The posted dimensions suggest that two could lay side-by-side in a crate, but I can't tell if they include those ridges when they say 6"

May someone please post a picture of two bricks stacked side-by-side in one crate? Alternatively, can someone post the real dimensions of one unit?

Thanks,

Last edited: