Washington Backcountry Discovery Route 2018.

• HTML tutorial

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

My plan is to go mid July. After the 4th. South to north. I'd feel bad setting it up because I have zero experience.

I'm voting for Sat, July 14th. As the start date. Figure 6 days to get to Canada.

-jim lee
Jim lee,
How about starting on Sunday, use Saturday as a get there and be ready Day? I would be up for Sunday as a start day? Any one else? Benz.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Question reference trail width for those that have driven this route. Would a Tacoma hauling an Xventure or M416 sized trailer be a good idea? I read the FAQ and it doesn't state either way but also states the route is double track yet in the photos it's all dual sports. So I'm curious if it would be accessible towing an adventure style/size trailer.

Respectfully,
Tom
Hello Tom,
From everything I have seen and read, I think you would be fine with the trailer! Look at the above post and see if that date would work for you, would love to have you be part of the group! Benz.

Flying fuzz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, WA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
C
Member #

Hello Tom,
From everything I have seen and read, I think you would be fine with the trailer! Look at the above post and see if that date would work for you, would love to have you be part of the group! Benz.
Thanks for the info, I will do my best to make this happen, it's right in the middle of the Fire Season which is when my work tempo is highest

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Jim lee,
How about starting on Sunday, use Saturday as a get there and be ready Day? I would be up for Sunday as a start day? Any one else? Benz.
That might work. I actually need a day to get this rig down to the border from up here in Anacortes. I can only pull about 45 on the open road so its backroads and extra time for me. I'd originally set it for Sat. because, being retired, I could use the Friday to come down and not hold up everyone with fast cars & jobs.

-jim lee

sweetride2go

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Vancouver, WA
Member #

My trip happened a while ago, but you all should be fine with a trailer/full-size rig. There was a tight spot just before dropping into Packwood where we got some light pinstriping.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

How about we try setting a day, Sunday July 15, then? If that works for everyone who would like to go? Start at Stevenson, Wa. at say 9:00 AM. Ready to head North. I am open different start time, and a good place to meet. What does everyone think? Benz.

Reactions: Nathan morrison

Nathan morrison

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Port orchard, wa
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Morrison
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7jnl
How about we try setting a day, Sunday July 15, then? If that works for everyone who would like to go? Start at Stevenson, Wa. at say 9:00 AM. Ready to head North. I am open different start time, and a good place to meet. What does everyone think? Benz.
I might try and join in but not sure yet

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

As far as I'm concerned, July 15 is fine. We need the route for the planner thing. Does anyone have the route and know how to enter it in the planner?

-jim lee

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Last edited:

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Can't remember if I already said it but Make sure to add in the side trip to the Ice Caves and the natural arches
I won't be able to make this trip... But I would also recommend that when you go through the Nature Reserver, drive slow, and keep your cameras at the ready... The wild life is there one second, and not the next. I didn't have my cameras running on my last trip through, and missed a herd of elk.

It's a great trip. If I haven't mentioned it, Butler maps has great BDR maps if you want to have a good analog backup of the route.

Merk

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Renton, WA
Member #

Are you planning on doing route 1 in one day? I'd be interested in jumping on for routes 2 and 3 (Packwood to Chelan)

Nookshneer

Rank 0

Traveler I

Not one day, people say it takes about 6 days.

Here's a link to the signup thing : https://www.overlandbound.com/event/july-2018-wabdr/

-jim lee

I ran Leavenworth to packwood in 1.5 days last summer. Ran it in The second week of July, hot and dusty was the name of the game. Take a rig with an in cabin air filter element. My 83 FJ60 was hot and dusty.

Driving was easy, whole thing could be done with an Outback/Forester with good tires. I never put it in 4 wheel drive. But transfered into 2L for additional low gearing down a short steep loose rocky section (maybe 100 ft)

Much of that section was rocky, take the time to airdown for comfort.

I started to get worried about gas level after that whole section. I would have felt better if I had stopped in Ellensburg and re-fueled.

Here is a spot we camped at inbetween cashmir and ellensburg.

https://goo.gl/maps/uLVv5m1ijAS2

If I run it (or another section) I'm thinking mid-late Sept.

HERMTT

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Pacific NW
Member #

We're hoping to run part of the route immediately after the NW Overland Rally. Does anyone know the best roads to connect up to the route from Plain without backtracking to Cashmere? It looked like maybe up Merry Canyon to NFS 7801. Our caveat is that we are BIG. Pinstripes don't bother us. Ultra tight corners I don't love. Thanks!

PS, if anyone is at the rally come say hi! We love meeting NW people.

Reactions: RainGoat

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Right now, as plan can change, the plan is to do the whole Washington State section in 6 days. Giving time to run side trails the look interesting. Also get camp setup before dark. See what the group as a whole wants though. Come join the group, even for just a section. Jim Lee, has a rally point sign page, for this trip! Thank’s Jim! Benz.

BlackGSD81

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bellingham
First Name
K
Last Name
B
I'd like to give the WABDR a go from Ellensburg to Highway 20. Anything in those sections that's going to give a dual cab long bed Tacoma grief? I'm stock except for better tires.

This section at 3:40 looks to be the only thing worth real concern regarding breakover angle

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I'd like to give the WABDR a go from Ellensburg to Highway 20. Anything in those sections that's going to give a dual cab long bed Tacoma grief? I'm stock except for better tires.

This section at 3:40 looks to be the only thing worth real concern regarding breakover angle
Hello BlackGSD81,
From everything I can find on the Internet, you should be fine! Hope you come along even for part of the trip. Jim Lee, was kind enough to to put together a sign in page. Look back thru this thread and sign up please. See you on the Trail! Benz.