Rank III

Member III

Blaine, WA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kahre
Member #

Hello! My wife and I (Ryan and Lauren) will be tagging along for this one as well. We will likely bring our Australian Shepherd but she’s old and just wants to lay in her truck.
I’ve been truck camping since I was a kid and wife has been joining me the last few years. We’re running a 4Runner with a couple mods.
I look forward to meeting you all shortly!

Attachments

Reactions: Ebbs

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Hello! My wife and I (Ryan and Lauren) will be tagging along for this one as well. We will likely bring our Australian Shepherd but she’s old and just wants to lay in her truck.
I’ve been truck camping since I was a kid and wife has been joining me the last few years. We’re running a 4Runner with a couple mods.
I look forward to meeting you all shortly!
Welcome, I look forward to meeting you and your wife. I think this is going to be a great trip.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Got a new rig and am very tempted to joining this trip , gotta get the work schedule figured out . What’s the latest I can let you know ?

Nomad52

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Redmond, Oregon
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Waters
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7AKW
My wife and I are planning on doing the wabdr again ( I’ve done it twice by motorcycle and the southern half once by 4x4)
and normally we travel solo but it might be fun going with a group. We have two overlanding rigs. One is our Hummer H3 that we did a build on in 2017 and the other is our 2002 Sportsmobile 4x4 camper. I’d be more inclined to bring our H3. I’ve been overlanding a while (since 1980 before I knew what to call it LOL) so have all the gear but being a ham operator KI7AKW, I’d need to get a GMRS radio and license is all.A6CD2BFB-6C80-4D11-9653-17FB861C579A.jpegFD3E232F-7D26-47E5-B13A-BCB3A6C7DB17.jpegFD3E232F-7D26-47E5-B13A-BCB3A6C7DB17.jpeg

Reactions: Ebbs and oldmopars

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

My wife and I are planning on doing the wabdr again ( I’ve done it twice by motorcycle and the southern half once by 4x4)
and normally we travel solo but it might be fun going with a group. We have two overlanding rigs. One is our Hummer H3 that we did a build on in 2017 and the other is our 2002 Sportsmobile 4x4 camper. I’d be more inclined to bring our H3. I’ve been overlanding a while (since 1980 before I knew what to call it LOL) so have all the gear but being a ham operator KI7AKW, I’d need to get a GMRS radio and license is all.View attachment 198750View attachment 198751View attachment 198751
Right on, I look forward to you joining us.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I want to get a group input on camping spots. I normally do not pre plan where to camp. I have done this route before, 3 times on the lower part and we never had pre-planned camp spots. I have also done other trips the same way. I always just travel till it seems like a good time to stop and then we find a flat area to camp.
There are of coarse positives and negatives to both. My wife and I sleep in our rig so as long as I have a flat(ish) spot to park, I am fine. I do know that some of you are going to be in tents.
Do you all need pre-planned camp spots, or do we prefer the freedom of adventure? I am OK either way, but if we need pre-planned spots I will need some help with suggestions. Also keep in mind that it is all "Dispersed" camping, so what we pre-plan, may be taken when we get there.
Give me your feed back.

Over the Crown

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oregon
First Name
Erin
Last Name
Bois
Member #

I want to get a group input on camping spots. I normally do not pre plan where to camp. I have done this route before, 3 times on the lower part and we never had pre-planned camp spots. I have also done other trips the same way. I always just travel till it seems like a good time to stop and then we find a flat area to camp.
There are of coarse positives and negatives to both. My wife and I sleep in our rig so as long as I have a flat(ish) spot to park, I am fine. I do know that some of you are going to be in tents.
Do you all need pre-planned camp spots, or do we prefer the freedom of adventure? I am OK either way, but if we need pre-planned spots I will need some help with suggestions. Also keep in mind that it is all "Dispersed" camping, so what we pre-plan, may be taken when we get there.
Give me your feed back.
That's my biggest downside, is needing flat space to camp. I am trying to grab a new tent before the trip, the Gazelle T4, which hopefully should help. I would bring a cot and stuff so I could live with a slightly more rough terrain. I am fine with either option, though I would have zero suggestions for any pre-planned spots as I've not even been in this area for a year yet.

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
I'm either going to sleep in my rig or my rtt(unsure if I want to mount it or not) but I think our biggest issues with camping(I'm assuming was I've not done the wabdr) is our number of rigs. I think we're close to 20 if all go that are interested. That might be a lot to ask to try and find a spot that is reasonably flat while being large enough, all watt the end of a day on the road.

Thoughts?

Makoventure

Rank III

Contributor III

Fairbanks, AK, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Mahler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Mako
Hey there! We will be shipping our rig down from Alaska about a week prior to this meet up. not new to overlanding but this will be our first official OB meet up, and our first time traveling in the area. Can’t wait to meet everyone!

Attachments

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Hey there! We will be shipping our rig down from Alaska about a week prior to this meet up. not new to overlanding but this will be our first official OB meet up, and our first time traveling in the area. Can’t wait to meet everyone!
Absolutely love the rig, can't wait to see it in person! I was stationed in Anchorage for 3 years and though I was always a Toyota fan, that's where I really fell in love. I want to drive up to prudehoe (and tuk) eventually but I have driven the alcan 4 times I miss Alaska, just not the first of living out the mosquitoes lol

Contributor I

Juneau, AK, USA
First Name
jeff
Last Name
coult
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC6TNI
Give me your feed back.
I agree that it may be somewhat difficult finding group camps large and flat enough. The huge number of folks exploring the back country these days won't help either. Never the less, Overlanding pretty much requires folks to be flexible and enjoy adventure as it unfolds. Still, I hope to pre-run the entire route from North to South in the next week, so I will keep an eye out for potential group camp spots and pass them on.

Makoventure

Rank III

Contributor III

Fairbanks, AK, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Mahler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Mako
Absolutely love the rig, can't wait to see it in person! I was stationed in Anchorage for 3 years and though I was always a Toyota fan, that's where I really fell in love. I want to drive up to prudehoe (and tuk) eventually but I have driven the alcan 4 times I miss Alaska, just not the first of living out the mosquitoes lol
Thank you! Yeah we were stoked to drive it on the alcan, super bummed that COVID restrictions made it impossible this year, but either way at least we are escaping mosquito hell!

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Give me your feed back.
I agree that it may be somewhat difficult finding group camps large and flat enough. The huge number of folks exploring the back country these days won't help either. Never the less, Overlanding pretty much requires folks to be flexible and enjoy adventure as it unfolds. Still, I hope to pre-run the entire route from North to South in the next week, so I will keep an eye out for potential group camp spots and pass them on.
Perfect! Also look at the area near Bethel Ridge. There is a bypass that we will do unless you tell me it is in a lot better shape than the last time we did this.
Last year it was wet and torn up, less than 3 miles took us over 3 hours. We also beat the rigs up and broke some stuff. I’m planning to go around this year.

ctcv1984

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Rocklin, CA.
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Williams
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6YMR
Greetings, everyone. Pete Williams here, checking in from Rocklin, CA. and I'll be joining you on this trip, a trip I've been wanting to do for a year or more. A quick bio: Born and raised in Eugene, Oregon, went into the Air Force in 1974 after high school. Got to the Sacramento area in 1977 and have liked living here since. Started off-roading in 1978 after I bought my first car, a 1963 FJ40, which I sold in 1985. Learned about overlanding in 2011 after retiring. I've been with Sierra Foothill Overlanders since 2017. I currently use a 2016 4Runner Trail Premium which I've been modifying/improving in the 3 years I've owned it (Icon 2, Rigd tire carrier, Baja roof rack, James Baroud RTT, Genesis dual battery setup, aftermarket headlights, Whynter fridge, Method wheels with 295 series Coopers, etc). I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and making new friends. I'll see everyone on July 5th!

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Any updates on the plan?

Contributor I

Juneau, AK, USA
First Name
jeff
Last Name
coult
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC6TNI
I said I would report back on any group campsites I found. I started from the North end and didn't finish the route, instead I got distracted and ended up in Idaho to look at a 4wd van for sale. I did finish sections 6 through 10 though, and intend to finish the entire route by restarting at the South end in a few weeks. Anyway, the further North sections seemed to have one or two possible sites for a big group in each section, but the lower sections, say 7 and 8 might have only had one good possibility. I marked them on my Gaia map, and will post them here later. With the large number of folks expressing interest, a group of 20 or so may have an issue finding level group spots in the beginning, and its possible since its first come first serve, they may be already occupied, but I haven't run those sections so I don't know for sure. What I foresee happening is the group breaking up into smaller groups as the time to find a campsite gets near, but keeping a group of that size together is difficult anyway and by the time you get to the Northern sections the group may be smaller anyway as folks drop out. Never the less, the sections I did were fantastic. Some sections have optional bypasses, but I chose to do all the harder ones and made it through all but one noted as "overgrown but passable" and that's true if your on a motorcycle, but in anything with four wheels, unless your prepared to do a lot of brush and fallen log clearing your not going to make it. That reminds me, a chain saw could end up being your best friend. I foolishly left mine at home and seriously wished I hadn't. The number of trees that had fallen across the road was amazing. Fortunately for me, someone had recently been through and cleared the worst of them. Quite recently too as there were plenty of fresh wood chips every where. Clearly though, whoever cleared the road was likely in a Jeep or an ATV since the path was pretty narrow and there were spots where I had to get out and spot my self several times to avoid the worst contact. Plenty of low lying branches scraped over the top and along the sides, but there was no damage. Road conditions were mostly fine with about half of the roads suitable for towing a trailer with an SUV, the rest ranged from super bumpy washboard or deep ruts, to needing 4wd a couple times. One serious piece of advice, SLOW DOWN AND STAY ON YOUR SIDE OF THE ROAD. I was nearly involved in a head on collision when an idiot in a pickup came flying around a blind corner taking up most of the road. I headed for the edge of the road with a steep drop off while he headed for the ditch and we skidded to a stop inches apart. It's not a race, it's a good time exploring the woods with like minded folks. I look forward to hearing how the Southern sections go. Cheers.................

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Yes I'll definitely have my Milwaukee chainsaw, and can even bring a gas powered one if needed. I had the same idea about splitting up for camping if needed. I'm gonna be building a sleeping platform this weekend or next(nothing like waiting until the last minute lol)
I know we'll hit a town each day for gas, but will that be at the start of the day, miss day, or at the end? I am because I'm not sure what I wanna do for food. No fridge, and don't really want to pack up a big stove, so I might just bring some mt house dehydrated meals and my jet boil.
Definitely looking forward to getting off-road and camping... outside of hunting, it's been WAY too long.

Nomad52

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Redmond, Oregon
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Waters
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7AKW
My wife and I have decided that going with the group this large is probably not conducive to tread lightly ethic. I have done this twice by motorcycle and once with our hummer H3. Large group campsites are very limited which means individuals that can’t find a proper place to camp may be creating new places that haven’t existed before. We will be going south to north solo a few days after the group leaves and doing the Idaho BDR in August.
The last time we did this heading south from over near Cashmere, we were on a section of road that was smooth hard packed dirt with pea size gravel and lots of tight blind turns and a large group of ATVs and dual sport riders came around one of the blind turns going WAY too fast and one young idiot on a very nice WR450 piled into our ARB bumper before he could stop; breaking his wrist, his brake lever, his headlight fairing and messing his front wheel. We always assume someone (maybe a freaking logging truck) will be on the other side of a turn so we go slow and frequently give a beep on the horn as well so I was prepared and was at full stop before he impactEd with us. What I have noticed over the years of being on these roads that are smooth hard pan with gravel and blind turns are the most dangerous places to ride because almost no traffic on them some drivers assume ”if I haven’t seen anyone else for hours it’s safe to assume no one will be around the next bend”.
Hoping things go well for the group and everyone has a good safe run.

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
My wife and I have decided that going with the group this large is probably not conducive to tread lightly ethic. I have done this twice by motorcycle and once with our hummer H3. Large group campsites are very limited which means individuals that can’t find a proper place to camp may be creating new places that haven’t existed before. We will be going south to north solo a few days after the group leaves and doing the Idaho BDR in August.
The last time we did this heading south from over near Cashmere, we were on a section of road that was smooth hard packed dirt with pea size gravel and lots of tight blind turns and a large group of ATVs and dual sport riders came around one of the blind turns going WAY too fast and one young idiot on a very nice WR450 piled into our ARB bumper before he could stop; breaking his wrist, his brake lever, his headlight fairing and messing his front wheel. We always assume someone (maybe a freaking logging truck) will be on the other side of a turn so we go slow and frequently give a beep on the horn as well so I was prepared and was at full stop before he impactEd with us. What I have noticed over the years of being on these roads that are smooth hard pan with gravel and blind turns are the most dangerous places to ride because almost no traffic on them some drivers assume ”if I haven’t seen anyone else for hours it’s safe to assume no one will be around the next bend”.
Hoping things go well for the group and everyone has a good safe run.
Damn sorry to hear you won't be coming, and definitely a valid point about tread lightly.

I i really want to do the Idaho bdr, but won't be able to swing it this year. You going south to north on that as well?

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I haven't been on a lot of the BDR but I've been all over around section 2. If you're taking the bypass from Bethel ridge there is a place a large group can camp at around 46.80089, -120.99135. It would be off to the right when you are coming down the hill. I'm not sure how many fire rings are there but it is pretty open and there is a big clearing. If you make it further than that and are looking for camping there are some spots off of Durr rd. One at 46.87628, -120.57230 then a little further once on top the hill around 46.89106, -120.56878 and 46.89396, -120.56636. If you are taking the bypass for Bethel ridge I highly recommend detouring up FS 190 at 46.74417, -121.12011 to Timberwolf Mountain it's only about 2.5 miles off the road you will be on. Might have to hike in the last 1/4 due to snow but the views from there are great. If the last little bit is clear of snow though I would only send 5 rigs up at a time as its a dead end and not a lot of room to turn around. On a side note Bethel ridge trail (4W325A) is clear and passable, probably better than it was this time last year. Still muddy and tight in places, not sure if a larger stock rig on A/T's would make it but I went through 2 weeks ago without any problems.