Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

Besides getting the GMRS license the radios are plug and play and channelized with antenna tuning not typically needed. With smaller antennas they are easier to set up/use.

If....when... you decide to come to the dark side, come on down to the communication sub-forum and we will get you pointed in the right direction. :wink:
Fair enough. I think they only seem complicated to me because of the license, and not ever using them. Most things look more complicated than they really are until you understand them. I expect that learning them will be in my future though.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I moved my run up there to the weekend of the 18th if that helps. 17th 18th and come back on the morning of the 19th.

Ive got HAM GMRS and CB. Ive actually been using GMRS quite a bit lately.

You're welcome to check out my setup if you come down to Broken Bow Lake. We may push into Arkansas on the second day/night not sure yet.

I switched to HAM about 5 years ago and after that rarely touched a CB microphone.

Heres an antenna resonant on GMRS compared to an antenna resonant on CB. Both are "quarter wave" the gmrs one is 6 inches long and i have no problem getting into my local GMRS repeater from 40 miles away. 20191231_082724.jpg

joshjunior

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Memphis
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Smith
Member #

if you're ever lookin for more guys to tag along lemme know. We've gotta drive a few hours to do anything camping wise from memphis lol

Reactions: Downs

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

I moved my run up there to the weekend of the 18th if that helps. 17th 18th and come back on the morning of the 19th.

Ive got HAM GMRS and CB. Ive actually been using GMRS quite a bit lately.

You're welcome to check out my setup if you come down to Broken Bow Lake. We may push into Arkansas on the second day/night not sure yet.

I switched to HAM about 5 years ago and after that rarely touched a CB microphone.

Heres an antenna resonant on GMRS compared to an antenna resonant on CB. Both are "quarter wave" the gmrs one is 6 inches long and i have no problem getting into my local GMRS repeater from 40 miles away. View attachment 133597
I can definitely see how the antenna size would be easier to manage and keep on in tight trails. I downloaded an app to teach me the rules of HAM. Now I just have to get to studying so I can pass the test. Did a quick search on gmrs, looks similar to what my dads company trucks had years ago, before cell phones lol. It always worked great, and if they could hit the repeater, could talk for a really long way.

It’s looking like I’m not going to be able to make this one. But should be ready by the next one.

I’m headed to work on my drawer system today. Then I really think I’m going to try my hand at installing paint protection film just to see if I can do it before I put this one into the trees. Probably silly, but it’s not scratched up yet, and I know I’m not smart enough to stay out of the branches if I see somewhere I want to go.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I can definitely see how the antenna size would be easier to manage and keep on in tight trails. I downloaded an app to teach me the rules of HAM. Now I just have to get to studying so I can pass the test. Did a quick search on gmrs, looks similar to what my dads company trucks had years ago, before cell phones lol. It always worked great, and if they could hit the repeater, could talk for a really long way.

It’s looking like I’m not going to be able to make this one. But should be ready by the next one.

I’m headed to work on my drawer system today. Then I really think I’m going to try my hand at installing paint protection film just to see if I can do it before I put this one into the trees. Probably silly, but it’s not scratched up yet, and I know I’m not smart enough to stay out of the branches if I see somewhere I want to go.
Do you have enough of that film to cover your whole truck? The only part not likely to need any unless you frequently back into stuff it the tailgate other than that youll have to cover top to bottom to keep from being scratched. If your gonna test to see if you can apply it also test to see how easily its removed and if it leaves a lot of residue.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

Do you have enough of that film to cover your whole truck? The only part not likely to need any unless you frequently back into stuff it the tailgate other than that youll have to cover top to bottom to keep from being scratched. If your gonna test to see if you can apply it also test to see how easily its removed and if it leaves a lot of residue.
What I’ve been looking at is a film made by llumar, I’ve used it on the front of a few different cars. Honestly never removed it, and had our previous window tint guy install it. but agree with the residue possibly being left on after. That’s been what I have been trying to figure out for sure myself. Every brand of it claims something different.

My plan, if I do it, is just that though, buy bulk sheets and layer it at least down the sides. I’ve found it in various widths, typically sold by the running foot. I haven’t ordered yet, trying to decide if it’s worth trying. I’m not a window tint guy, and too cheap to pay a shop to do it. Lol

drburn1718

Rank 0

Contributor I

Kansas, USA
First Name
Darren
Last Name
Redburn
Glad I found this thread, but sorry @ryanorr280 I don’t have any tips for you on your clear film... I’m from south Central Kansas and have been eyeballing a Broken Bow trip to take pretty soon. It wouldn’t be too bad of a drive to get there, and would love to meet up with one of you guys that knows the area! I dunno yet that we could do the 17/18/19 trip but I’ll check with the wife and see what she thinks.

I also have no comms setup either though. In time... Hey maybe we could work on a date later on (Feb?) that we could have a small group if we can’t all make this one