Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

It seems like we have a lot of beautiful areas all around us. If you are ever over this way and want to wonder some roads just let me know
Most definitely will. I just have to get a few things buttoned up so we can overnight in the 4Runner and I think I’ll be ready. Working on a drawer system/sleeping platform for camping.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

That holly mnt trail looks amazing.

I think when we were down there I was close to that area(best I can recall a few moths ago lol). We started down a trail, it curved right, then I saw a logging grappler/trailer sitting off side of the road and turned around. Not knowing the area, or if they were good with us being there, I didn’t chance it. It’s really good to hear that they are good with us coming through.
They were probably doing a controlled burn and that trail was likely closed. Ive run into that problem a few times there they normally dont say anything if you just turn around.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

They were probably doing a controlled burn and that trail was likely closed. Ive run into that problem a few times there they normally dont say anything if you just turn around.
Fair enough, my thoughts were that I wasn’t sure if I was allowed, plus not wanting to disrupt anyone working even if I was. So I just turned around and told the wife that I needed to find out more about the area before going back.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
They are going to be doing a controlled burn on the north end of the lake for the first part of the year. Saw signs all over last trip but dont remeber the dates exactly.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

They are going to be doing a controlled burn on the north end of the lake for the first part of the year. Saw signs all over last trip but dont remeber the dates exactly.
That’s good to know, thanks. Are there any maps of the area down there? Or is it more of a find a trail and follow it until you know the area? I see some trails on Gaia, but most are just listed by county road number and such.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

That’s good to know, thanks. Are there any maps of the area down there? Or is it more of a find a trail and follow it until you know the area? I see some trails on Gaia, but most are just listed by county road number and such.
I use this when im on national forrest land Forest Service Visitor Map
Alot of folks use gaia and import the muvum onto it.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

I use this when im on national forrest land Forest Service Visitor Map
Alot of folks use gaia and import the muvum onto it.
Thanks, I’ll check that one out. I’ve been playing with Gaia, but I am still figuring the navigation side of national forests out. Nothing will teach like doing it, but I want a good platform to use before I’m lost somewhere. Lol

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Gaia, Google Maps, BackCountry Navigator. Those are my gotos. Backcountry Navigator and Gaia are both pay to play, there is a free Backcountry Navigator version but it's not as capable as the paid version. At least the paid backcountry nav is a one time cost instead of the annual fee for Gaia. That said I still use Gaia. I load the topo maps up and just go around exploring. If we hit gates we turn around and backtrack as needed.

Right now I'm saving my tracks from each trip up there. Hopefully I can go do every navigable road I can find.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

Gaia, Google Maps, BackCountry Navigator. Those are my gotos. Backcountry Navigator and Gaia are both pay to play, there is a free Backcountry Navigator version but it's not as capable as the paid version. At least the paid backcountry nav is a one time cost instead of the annual fee for Gaia. That said I still use Gaia. I load the topo maps up and just go around exploring. If we hit gates we turn around and backtrack as needed.

Right now I'm saving my tracks from each trip up there. Hopefully I can go do every navigable road I can find.
I’ll check out that backcountry navigator. I’m playing around in the ones I can find until I get a good mix to use. The one Boostpowered recommended looks pretty awesome too. I wondered if anyone was napping gpx files down there. It’s one area I couldn’t find much online for, until I found OB. I really appreciate all the advice on the apps, makes it easier if I know how to get there.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I’ll check out that backcountry navigator. I’m playing around in the ones I can find until I get a good mix to use. The one Boostpowered recommended looks pretty awesome too. I wondered if anyone was napping gpx files down there. It’s one area I couldn’t find much online for, until I found OB. I really appreciate all the advice on the apps, makes it easier if I know how to get there.
Your not gonna find much online bout it. Its kindof kept as quiet as possible. Even folks who live in oklahoma and arkansas dont know how awesome the stuff in their own back yard is.
If you need help finding trails on a weekend let me know and my wife and i will come up and show you around.

Last edited:

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

Your not gonna find much online bout it. Its kindof kept as quiet as possible. Even folks who live in oklahoma and arkansas dont know how awesome the stuff in their own back yard is.
If you need help finding trails on a weekend let me know and my wife and i will come up and show you around.
I can completely understand keeping it quiet. Keeps a lot of people that don’t have respect for the land out and keeps it open to the rest of us. I work with a guy that grew up in Antkers, OK and he had no idea it was there.

I’ll definitely holler when we head that way. Knowledge of the area is something you can’t find on any map.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Im headed up there on the weekend of the 11th and 12th. @Boostpowered a heads up on this one. Itll be my last go round till medic school. I plan on hanging around the north end of the lake again mostly. Trying to cover more tracks on trails i havent been on yet.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Im headed up there on the weekend of the 11th and 12th. @Boostpowered a heads up on this one. Itll be my last go round till medic school. I plan on hanging around the north end of the lake again mostly. Trying to cover more tracks on trails i havent been on yet.
Ill try to come up but it would only for a day ride.
ive decided im not sleeping in a tent or the truck again after our thanksgiving trip to the beach so no camping for me til i get my homemade trailer weathertight. Im still hurting from some stuff i had to do over christmas too. Ive got most everthing i need for the trailer i just dont have the energy to do it yet, still have to design the rear wall/door for it and get materials for that. Right now the rear is just a canvas tarp held on with button snaps.
15779847115251052806951.jpg

Reactions: Downs

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

@ryanorr280 you're invited as well. May have to put up with a few Jeep folks.
I have to work the 11th, but I’ll see if I can make it down on the 12th. I am curious though, are the trails there wide enough to leave my paint on? I’ve read in some other discussions that they can be narrow in places.

I’ll have to leave my Jeep jokes at home I guess.... lol

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I have to work the 11th, but I’ll see if I can make it down on the 12th. I am curious though, are the trails there wide enough to leave my paint on? I’ve read in some other discussions that they can be narrow in places.

I’ll have to leave my Jeep jokes at home I guess.... lol
You'd probably get some scratches its inevitable. There are places that are wide open then there are those with lots of branches.

Attachments

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

You'd probably get some scratches its inevitable. There are places that are wide open then there are those with lots of branches.
fair enough, those don't look terrible. i don't really want to trash my paint, but some scratches are going to happen in this activity,. as you say, it's inevitable. that's why we bought silver, it hides it well. i'll see if i can make it.

do you guys use cb/ham? as i am new to doing this in this vehicle, i don't have anything in it for that yet. i do have a cb i could toss in right quick(from decades ago in another truck), but have never touched a ham radio yet.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

fair enough, those don't look terrible. i don't really want to trash my paint, but some scratches are going to happen in this activity,. as you say, it's inevitable. that's why we bought silver, it hides it well. i'll see if i can make it.

do you guys use cb/ham? as i am new to doing this in this vehicle, i don't have anything in it for that yet. i do have a cb i could toss in right quick(from decades ago in another truck), but have never touched a ham radio yet.
My truck is also silver and the scratches are pretty noticable.
Im the only person i know who prefers cb, most everyone you encounter will be using ham or gmrs.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

My truck is also silver and the scratches are pretty noticable.
Im the only person i know who prefers cb, most everyone you encounter will be using ham or gmrs.
i was always a cb guy myself in the past. They’re just easier to me. But it’s looking more like I may need to venture out into ham/gmrs in case I get in a bind or the group uses only them.

i am tempted to try my have at that 3m clear vinyl to save my paint. Just not sure if I’m capable of laying it in there or not

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

i was always a cb guy myself in the past. They’re just easier to me.
Besides getting the GMRS license the radios are plug and play and channelized with antenna tuning not typically needed. With smaller antennas they are easier to set up/use.

But it’s looking more like I may need to venture out into ham/gmrs in case I get in a bind or the group uses only them.
If....when... you decide to come to the dark side, come on down to the communication sub-forum and we will get you pointed in the right direction. :wink: