First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Is this 4WD? What is the powertrain?
I don't know much about these but it's going to be interesting to watch this develop into an overland capable vehicle.

Dan.

Phildirt

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

You'll be happier in the long run with the paint vs. plasti dip. I think any short term benefits gained from using plasti dip (ease of prep, application, cleanup) are outweighed by the long term issues (durability - chipping/peeling/fading).

Reactions: blackntan

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
You'll be happier in the long run with the paint vs. plasti dip. I think any short term benefits gained from using plasti dip (ease of prep, application, cleanup) are outweighed by the long term issues (durability - chipping/peeling/fading).

X2!

I did plasti-dip on my hood and it lasted for a year. Took almost 2 hours to get it off with a pressure washer.
Definitely not recommended. Looks good for a minute but crappy only a short time later.
Scuff up the wheels with some scotchbrite pads, spray them with wheel paint. It can stand up to the heat and abuse better than regular paint and lasts much longer.

Phildirt

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

X2!

I did plasti-dip on my hood and it lasted for a year. Took almost 2 hours to get it off with a pressure washer.
Definitely not recommended. Looks good for a minute but crappy only a short time later.
Scuff up the wheels with some scotchbrite pads, spray them with wheel paint. It can stand up to the heat and abuse better than regular paint and lasts much longer.
WD 40 works great to remove plasti dip if you ever have to do it again. For non-sensitive surfaces mineral spirits is even better.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

blackntan,
That is a nice setup you have put together! Looks like now you can camp in comfort and style. I sure would like some more information on your diesel heater. What brand and btu output/ gal. per hour. I would like to put a diesel heater in my pop top camper. Again nice job on you overlander. Benz.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Well finaly got round to using the RAPTOR 2k aerosol cans , really impressed by the ease of use for small to meadium areas , done all the plastic trims on the sides , grills and even front and rear bumpers , and bonnet , All three coated ,
One problem the last can blocked right at the start of spraying the bonnet ( hood ). I rang Raptor HQ who promptly sent me a replacement can FOC WELLDONE UPOL RAPTOR for great customer service
blackntan,
You’re VW, is coming along nicely! Comfortable accommodations it looks like to me! Vance.

kbudd93

Rank 0

Traveler I

Dorset, UK
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Budd
Member #

blackntan,
That is a nice setup you have put together! Looks like now you can camp in comfort and style. I sure would like some more information on your diesel heater. What brand and btu output/ gal. per hour. I would like to put a diesel heater in my pop top camper. Again nice job on you overlander. Benz.
It's a VW, the sprinter is based off the VW crafter platform.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I dont know witch way round its and who based it but the vw seems to fair better in our climate the number of sprinters you see with rust around the body put me off and the engine is superior , only my opinion
I hear the same about the rust problems. Have not heard much about the Mercedes Vans and rust, maybe better rust prevention? The Black Bonnet should help with glare, and rock chips! Good on you blackntan. Vance.