VRV Flyer Teardrop Intro and Build Thread

• HTML tutorial

Vmejia

Rank 0

Traveler I

So-Cal
Drilled through with self tapping screws and butyl tape to seal holes. I will get the exact size when I can. I may do a different design which would make it easier to move the awning forward or aft but waiting for it to cool down in AZ before I hang out in the garage.
Nice thank you for the quick reply! I’m also thinking about extending the tongue 2 feet out due to a tongue box, any suggestions as how to go about that? I bought some 2x3 and 2x2 aluminum tubing...oh yeah any updates on your water tank?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Nice thank you for the quick reply! I’m also thinking about extending the tongue 2 feet out due to a tongue box, any suggestions as how to go about that? I bought some 2x3 and 2x2 aluminum tubing...oh yeah any updates on your water tank?
No updates on the water tank.

I don't think there is a good way to extend the tongue. Aluminum is very different from steel. I tried to extend using a sleeve of 2 pieces of aluminum one inside the other and it failed. I wouldn't extend the tongue unless you can figure out a way to put a much longer piece in by cutting out the existing piece and then welding in the new piece with the welds near the frame. You are also effecting the center of gravity when messing with the tongue length so you need to consider how that impact the tongue weight of the trailer.

Reactions: Kent R

Vmejia

Rank 0

Traveler I

So-Cal
Great information from great people like yourself, I will have to keep tongue length for now. Thanks for getting back to me

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Are these trailers still being made? I can’t find a website on line. Thanks
No the company went out of business. There is an RV Dealer in Arkansas that has a few for sale. InTech are the closest similar design still in production.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thats to bad they went out of business, seemed like a good build. Lots of trailer manufacturers struggle in a tight market.

rcniss

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Looks like the dealer in Arkansas wants a pretty penny for the Flyers he has left. 1Louder do you still have your trailer?

No the company went out of business. There is an RV Dealer in Arkansas that has a few for sale. InTech are the closest similar design still in production.
dea

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Looks like the dealer in Arkansas wants a pretty penny for the Flyers he has left. 1Louder do you still have your trailer?

dea
No, it sold in September.

TJ Willy

Rank II

Enthusiast III

New Port Richey FL
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Ewing
Member #

Service Branch
U S Army
Hey guys, have bin following your forum. I have an intech flyer ,which h is now called the chase. I've had it for two years now and love it ! We mostly stay in the rtt and use inside for storage,however in rough weather we can also stay inside of it if need be. We use a first up or ezz up canopy with full curtains in back of it which we have our kitchen, take showers or whatever we need to do. It provides 120 sq ft of room . An use a tarp to wrap around the rtt entrance which incloses the whole rig. We've stayed in many rain storms an in 28 degree weather an bin dry an warm without worry ! Rtt is a gordi gear 165mm an that's very very waterproof ! We have the annex but never use it cuz tarping around it gives alot more open space underneath . An it's quick an easy with clamps. Have plenty of clamps ! Oh an a few camp mats 6x10 for a dry floor. Set up time 20 mins. We set up the same way every time, so it gets faster an easier knowing were everything goes. We've even down sized some stuff to lighten the load. Here's a few pics

Attachments

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I see by your picture that it looks like you now have a Off Grid trailer? That’s my dream trailer. Care to share your experiences with the off grid?
I have only had it two weeks. So far so good. You can follow my updates on the Off Grid Trailer thread. I will also be writing some blog posts on my site soon. Working on a draft now.

TJ Willy

Rank II

Enthusiast III

New Port Richey FL
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Ewing
Member #

Service Branch
U S Army
Hey , l took aluminum 1x1 x 4 an bolted them to the trailer frame and then bolted the toolbox to the 1x1. Also extened the tounge to allow for trailer jack an I can jack knife for tight turns without damage to tow vehicle. An it pulls great ! Hers a few pics

Attachments