First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Greetings -
new Northern Virginian member to the site, also new to overlanding. I am planning a first trip along the Shaw-Douthat track y'all have posted on your website in a couple of weeks, barring any "don't do it" comments. The video was helpful, but I have questions about the parts unseen. The plan is to start on the north end and camp overnight at Douthat, before returning the same route.
A couple of questions --
Is this route appropriate for a Z71 Silverado?
Is this route safe-ish for a solo vehicle trip with minimal recovery gear (no winch, but jacks, cheap recovery boards, straps, etc.)?
Any concerns with mud/wet this time of year when we get rain every other day (or so)?

Thanks,
Gordon
I'm not familiar what their entire route though the area, but I live in Covington. Most of the area is stock friendly. If you have any questions hit me up! If I'm around, I might try to run out and meet up for a bit. Maybe do some riding if I've got my new t-case in by then.

Gordo_K

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Northern Virginia
First Name
Gordon
Last Name
Slaton
Member #

I'm not familiar what their entire route though the area, but I live in Covington. Most of the area is stock friendly. If you have any questions hit me up! If I'm around, I might try to run out and meet up for a bit. Maybe do some riding if I've got my new t-case in by then.
Thanks. Stock friendly is good for right now.
Cheers

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Greetings -
new Northern Virginian member to the site, also new to overlanding. I am planning a first trip along the Shaw-Douthat track y'all have posted on your website in a couple of weeks, barring any "don't do it" comments. The video was helpful, but I have questions about the parts unseen. The plan is to start on the north end and camp overnight at Douthat, before returning the same route.
A couple of questions --
Is this route appropriate for a Z71 Silverado?
Is this route safe-ish for a solo vehicle trip with minimal recovery gear (no winch, but jacks, cheap recovery boards, straps, etc.)?
Any concerns with mud/wet this time of year when we get rain every other day (or so)?

Thanks,
Gordon
Welcome Gordon!

Brock Samson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Brock
Last Name
Samson
Member #

Anyone interested in planning a meetup in Richmond?
Wife and I would be down. Might be able to convince some locals to caravan. Maybe an outdoor/picnic type meetup? Or do you know of a regularly scheduled C&C (they usually start early but there's always a chance...)?

Eric W.

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Wallace
Member #

On that note anyone going to the mountains this weekend ?
Headed out, mid week, next week. Few days of relaxing and doing some hiking from camp. Probably no trail riding due to non 4x4's coming with.

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
Headed out, mid week, next week. Few days of relaxing and doing some hiking from camp. Probably no trail riding due to non 4x4's coming with.
Mid-week I will be working in Florida, although I will be out again next weekend

Reactions: Eric W.

Brock Samson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Brock
Last Name
Samson
Member #

House hunting on Sunday after the C&C at Dulles Landing on Sunday...anyone interested in meeting up for the C&C?

Sgtanderson

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Windsor, Virginia, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS, WRFF981
Service Branch
US Army Ret.
New member here, we definitely got rained out for the weekend but I'm interested in making a trip to one of the meetings in Virginia. I'll keep a eye out on here. Jim-- Tidewater.

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
New member here, we definitely got rained out for the weekend but I'm interested in making a trip to one of the meetings in Virginia. I'll keep a eye out on here. Jim-- Tidewater.
Im trying to go somewhere again this weekend hope the weather is good, anyone going out if so where? I can meet up till Sat as I fly into Richmond late Friday night.

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
A single ticket is only good for one person. I recently talked with Ranger Fury about it. You'll need a ticket for every person you plan to bring.