Virginia OLB Members

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

What do you think of the idea below?

• Total voters

TerryD

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham Callsign
KT4OZ
Greetings -
new Northern Virginian member to the site, also new to overlanding. I am planning a first trip along the Shaw-Douthat track y'all have posted on your website in a couple of weeks, barring any "don't do it" comments. The video was helpful, but I have questions about the parts unseen. The plan is to start on the north end and camp overnight at Douthat, before returning the same route.
A couple of questions --
Is this route appropriate for a Z71 Silverado?
Is this route safe-ish for a solo vehicle trip with minimal recovery gear (no winch, but jacks, cheap recovery boards, straps, etc.)?
Any concerns with mud/wet this time of year when we get rain every other day (or so)?

Thanks,
Gordon
I'm not familiar what their entire route though the area, but I live in Covington. Most of the area is stock friendly. If you have any questions hit me up! If I'm around, I might try to run out and meet up for a bit. Maybe do some riding if I've got my new t-case in by then.

Gordo_K

Rank I
Adventure

Member I

Northern Virginia
First Name
Gordon
Last Name
Slaton
Member #

I'm not familiar what their entire route though the area, but I live in Covington. Most of the area is stock friendly. If you have any questions hit me up! If I'm around, I might try to run out and meet up for a bit. Maybe do some riding if I've got my new t-case in by then.
Thanks. Stock friendly is good for right now.
Cheers

Nomadik Nova

US East Region Director
Staff member

Influencer II

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Greetings -
new Northern Virginian member to the site, also new to overlanding. I am planning a first trip along the Shaw-Douthat track y'all have posted on your website in a couple of weeks, barring any "don't do it" comments. The video was helpful, but I have questions about the parts unseen. The plan is to start on the north end and camp overnight at Douthat, before returning the same route.
A couple of questions --
Is this route appropriate for a Z71 Silverado?
Is this route safe-ish for a solo vehicle trip with minimal recovery gear (no winch, but jacks, cheap recovery boards, straps, etc.)?
Any concerns with mud/wet this time of year when we get rain every other day (or so)?

Thanks,
Gordon
Welcome Gordon!

Brock Samson

Rank II

Contributor III

Virginia
First Name
Brock
Last Name
Samson
Member #

Anyone interested in planning a meetup in Richmond?
Wife and I would be down. Might be able to convince some locals to caravan. Maybe an outdoor/picnic type meetup? Or do you know of a regularly scheduled C&C (they usually start early but there's always a chance...)?

Brock Samson

Rank II

Contributor III

Virginia
First Name
Brock
Last Name
Samson
Member #

House hunting on Sunday after the C&C at Dulles Landing on Sunday...anyone interested in meeting up for the C&C?

Sgtanderson

Rank II
Adventure

Traveler I

Windsor, Virginia, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS, WRFF981
New member here, we definitely got rained out for the weekend but I'm interested in making a trip to one of the meetings in Virginia. I'll keep a eye out on here. Jim-- Tidewater.

Boucher

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

New member here, we definitely got rained out for the weekend but I'm interested in making a trip to one of the meetings in Virginia. I'll keep a eye out on here. Jim-- Tidewater.
Im trying to go somewhere again this weekend hope the weather is good, anyone going out if so where? I can meet up till Sat as I fly into Richmond late Friday night.

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham Callsign
KT4OZ
A single ticket is only good for one person. I recently talked with Ranger Fury about it. You'll need a ticket for every person you plan to bring.