Virginia Beach, VA, USA
First Name
Mehdi
Last Name
Koch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUK535
Sorry about the late reply. On call and paged out.

Flag pole has 3 different ways to get there. They range from easy, not bad and the fun way.. Fun way meaning, possible small drag marks on the skid plate Depending on what you are in and the weather. I’ve known a few to get some small body damage when its rainy or snowy out.

The easy way is up via Briery Branch rd (rt. 924). This is a hard ball rd. Then turn right on to FR85. Which will take you down to Flag Pole.

The slightly rougher way is from 33. Then up Switzer Lake rd. Which changes into Dunkle Hollow rd. This can be done in a stock vehicle as well, just a little rougher.

The fun way... depending on stock vehicle you might have some issues, might not.

I’d post links in google maps but working off my phone right now.
Fantastic sir! Appreciate it! This will most likely be our next outing.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

The fun way... depending on stock vehicle you might have some issues, might not.
The fun way is from Union Springs Road, which features a handful of technical areas. I've taken my FJ Cruiser on 33s without issue and I would love to run through there again sometime.

Do the members in the area do some form of meet up or anything?
You should set one up!

Reactions: Hafaday

Jacob Arici

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Virginia beach
First Name
jacob
Last Name
Arici
Member #

The fun way is from Union Springs Road, which features a handful of technical areas. I've taken my FJ Cruiser on 33s without issue and I would love to run through there again sometime.

You should set one up!
Haha I'd totally be down to organize a meet up. And you should come with us when we go it would be nice to have someone with the experience come with us.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

You should set one up!
That it is.

I had heard that the Union Springs side has gotten a little more chewed up this year, since the Forest dept. had Fr85 shut down for a few months to do some road work up there.

I didn’t get out at all this year.. kind irritates me a lot. That will change next year.

Last edited:

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I saw a recent video a few weeks ago. I don't think it's really any worse, I think it just got more popular and people who have no idea what they're doing are having trouble on it. :laughing:

Brock Samson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Brock
Last Name
Samson
Member #

That it is.

I had heard that the Union Springs side has gotten a little more chewed up this year, since the Forest dept. had Fr85 shut down for a few months to do some road work up there.

I didn’t get out at all this year.. kind irritates me a lot. That will change next year.
Went up that way for an xmas trip with the T4R guys. A bit technical in a few spots but all in all, a great drive.

Reactions: Hafaday

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
Is anybody familiar with the Ramsey Gap area of GWNF which is west of Craigsville? I’m planning a multi-day trail exploring and primitive camping and have never been there. Curious if North Mountain Trail is a drivable fire road as several of the potential campsites I want to check out are along it. Gaia shows it as a “trail” and not sure what means.

And heading north from Ramsey Gap are 2 trails, with one showing as solid looking road yet it has no name. Nearby is also Archer Run Road - is this a hardball road or a fire road/jeep trail? I might explore that too.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Is anybody familiar with the Ramsey Gap area of GWNF which is west of Craigsville? I’m planning a multi-day trail exploring and primitive camping and have never been there. Curious if North Mountain Trail is a drivable fire road as several of the potential campsites I want to check out are along it. Gaia shows it as a “trail” and not sure what means.

And heading north from Ramsey Gap are 2 trails, with one showing as solid looking road yet it has no name. Nearby is also Archer Run Road - is this a hardball road or a fire road/jeep trail? I might explore that too.
Not familiar, but curious what you find. :)

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
I went and scouted some of this area yesterday. Unfortunately all the trailheads I was interested in were blocked and only allowed non-vehicle access. This includes the N Mountain Trail trailheads on Ramsey Gap Rd and the Elliot Knob Trail and Crawford Mountain Trails off of Rt. 688/Old Parkersburg Turnpike.

I did drive the length of Archer Run Rd which is off of Ramsey Gap Rd. I found several very dirty campsites and maybe one or two decent campsites, but in general none of the sites along this road appealed to me as there was nothing of interest - no views, no water.

So a bit of a bust, now have to scramble and identify somewhere else to go for a mid-week getaway this week.

Iceman.Actual

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Cape Coral, FL, USA
First Name
Payton
Last Name
DeMay
Member #

Hey y’all, planning a trip to either Flagpole or Peters Mill Run for next weekend and was hoping some of the locals could let me know the current conditions out there/how it gets when it rains (which it most likely will). I’m coming from Maryland so I’ll be entering Peters Mill Run from the Edinburg gap or Flagpole from the South East (lost my reference map).
Any advice helps
-Cheers

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I've found that Flagpole is always passable, no matter how much rain there's been, just don't seek out the deep holes on the Union Springs end. Haven't done Peter's Mill in 20 years, so I would appreciate an update on that.

Reactions: Iceman.Actual

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I went and scouted some of this area yesterday. Unfortunately all the trailheads I was interested in were blocked and only allowed non-vehicle access. This includes the N Mountain Trail trailheads on Ramsey Gap Rd and the Elliot Knob Trail and Crawford Mountain Trails off of Rt. 688/Old Parkersburg Turnpike.

I did drive the length of Archer Run Rd which is off of Ramsey Gap Rd. I found several very dirty campsites and maybe one or two decent campsites, but in general none of the sites along this road appealed to me as there was nothing of interest - no views, no water.

So a bit of a bust, now have to scramble and identify somewhere else to go for a mid-week getaway this week.
Ramsey's is all pretty well protected. It's a sanctuary for American chestnuts, from what I remember. The popular spot in the area is "Flagpole Knob," for which info is readily available. This is the area that I tend to explore as well. If you want to see something different, check out Hone Quarry.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Gordo_K

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Northern Virginia
First Name
Gordon
Last Name
Slaton
Member #

Greetings -
new Northern Virginian member to the site, also new to overlanding. I am planning a first trip along the Shaw-Douthat track y'all have posted on your website in a couple of weeks, barring any "don't do it" comments. The video was helpful, but I have questions about the parts unseen. The plan is to start on the north end and camp overnight at Douthat, before returning the same route.
A couple of questions --
Is this route appropriate for a Z71 Silverado?
Is this route safe-ish for a solo vehicle trip with minimal recovery gear (no winch, but jacks, cheap recovery boards, straps, etc.)?
Any concerns with mud/wet this time of year when we get rain every other day (or so)?

Thanks,
Gordon