Victorian High Country (Australia)

• HTML tutorial

Offroad Touring

Rank III

Advocate II

We spend plenty of time in the Victorian High Country, actually I seem to be there more than work!

I thought I'd share some images from a trip up there a week and half ago with a good mate from NYC and his daughter.

I had 5 occupants in my Nissan Patrol including myself.

The first stop was Thommohawk Hut which is a hut that is free to use. But you cant just set up there and move in. It's for emergency situations,

A few quick snaps and a stretch of the legs.

We then made our way up towards No'3 hut which requires low range as we headed further up into the mountains. I thought there would be more people around but we only saw 4 other vehicles considering it was the Christmas holidays this was good!

Salad sangas for lunch while the kids ran around...a bit different than the snow from June last year at the start of winter.

Being only lunchtime we pressed on further into the bush.

We then dropped deep into a valley and stopped at Pineapple Flat. There was only a handful of camps there and the river crossing wasn't to deep. This is a free campground with very limited amentities.

Reactions: JCWages

Offroad Touring

Rank III

Advocate II

As usual when ever I go camping it rains...so after the 4th river crossing the skies opened up before we set up camp.

The King River was right on our doorstep of camp. This is a great high country River, trout can be caught there too.

We had the place to ourselves, no complaints there!

The thunder rolled and the lightning flashed as the rain fell for around 3 hours not that we mind. The thunder would last around 30 seconds as it rolled around the mountains.

The 2 ARB awnings provided plenty of cover for dinner preparation.

A double swag, 3 single swags, ARB Cargo Gear bag with 5 chairs and a table and a large cloths bag all fitted neatly on the roofrack.

Once the skies eased off we lit a fire and kicked back for the evening.

Reactions: JCWages

Offroad Touring

Rank III

Advocate II

After a hearty pancake breakfast we headed out of the valley and I took my international visitors to Bindaree Falls. After a short walk we walked right behind the falls as they cascaded in front of us, perfect on a warm summers day.

From there we climbed the rocky Monument tk and headed over to Craigs Hut, It's worth getting there early to beat the crowds.
Sorry no pics of the hut this time but those of you that might have seen the classic Australian movie "The Man From Snowy River" might know what the hut looks like. If you haven't seen this movie do your self a favour and check it out. We visit this hut many times each year. The views on offer are breathtaking.

With dark storm clouds and rain falling on the nearby ranges we headed across Mt Stirling passing right through Alpine Areas.

The clouds were rolling across right in front of us with temps around 8c in the winds.

The weather was pretty cold at the Trigg Point on top of Mt Stirling. We could see Mt Buller just across the range and decided to head there for a nice lunch. Mt Buller is Victorias premier ski resort.

We made our was passed Howqua Gap up then across the Circuit rd road and the back way to the top of Mt Buller. It was 16c at the village a stark contrast to the top of Mt Stirling. After lunch we headed off as I had a couple more days at work to take care of! Lucky I like work!

But I do miss sleeping in my swag, its the best nights sleep you can have!

Thanks for looking!

Cheers
Richard

Reactions: JCWages and Dunco