Enthusiast I

Faversham, UK
First Name
Pete
Last Name
OKeeffe
Member #

Hi,

Am wanting to ship our Rav4 Hybrid from either Singapore or Malaysia, to Darwin or Perth Australia.
Wanting to store vehicle in container.

Does someone have a great shipping contact to make this process as seamless as possible.
Could someone provide me with the approximate cost please.

Also requiring a contact, (may be same person) to then ship the vehecle from Australia to NZ.
Containerised again please.

Many thanks

Pete

eriefisher

Rank III

Advocate I

Southern Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
LaForme
This post got me curious so I did a quick search and came up with this. It's reverse of what your looking for but it must work both ways. They don't move empty ships.

Pete471

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Faversham, UK
First Name
Pete
Last Name
OKeeffe
Member #

Thank you - this is incredibly helpful information.
And you're right, I;ve never seen an empty ship either!!
Pete

Reactions: eriefisher

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi,

Am wanting to ship our Rav4 Hybrid from either Singapore or Malaysia, to Darwin or Perth Australia.
Wanting to store vehicle in container.

Does someone have a great shipping contact to make this process as seamless as possible.

Also requiring a contact, (may be same person) to then ship the vehecle from Australia to NZ.
Containerised again please.

Many thanks

Pete
Hi Pete,

Check out the OB boot camp article on shipping the rig overseas:

OB Approved - Shipping the rig overseas | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

A shipping agent who is specialized in shipping overlander rigs and who I can highly recommend is Ricardo Gomes in Hamburg, Germany:

Impressum » Overlander Shipping Hamburg 2022 (overlander-shipping.com)

Enjoy further planning and if you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch.

Bjoern

Reactions: gingerman

Pete471

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Faversham, UK
First Name
Pete
Last Name
OKeeffe
Member #

Bjoern
Wow, this is massive - thnak you.

And so comprehensive. I haver printed it and highlighted the salient points. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me

Pete

Reactions: El-Dracho

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
You will need a Carnet to be allowed into Australia with a vehicle as new as yours.
You will need to apply for a vehicle importation permit, even for a temporary import, before you ship.
Before shipping clean everything, it must be as clean as a new vehicle. Remove any covers and clean under them. The slightest bit of dirt, plants or insects will result in your vehicle being cleaned by a contractor chosen by AQIS but paid for by you.

If you get to Tasmania, send me a message. If you don't, I hope I see you somewhere on the Australian mainland.

Pete471

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Faversham, UK
First Name
Pete
Last Name
OKeeffe
Member #

Randall - thank you. We have the CdP for the countriues we are travelling through.
I know we just about have to take the vehicle apart and clean it before we enter Aussie. And quite faily to. I have no issue with that. We'll find a place and jet and steam wash it.
Great info - thanks
Pete

Steve_ohhhhh

Local Expert, QLD Australia

Influencer I

Redbank Queensland, Australia
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jappe
Member #

You will need a Carnet to be allowed into Australia with a vehicle as new as yours.
You will need to apply for a vehicle importation permit, even for a temporary import, before you ship.
Before shipping clean everything, it must be as clean as a new vehicle. Remove any covers and clean under them. The slightest bit of dirt, plants or insects will result in your vehicle being cleaned by a contractor chosen by AQIS but paid for by you.

If you get to Tasmania, send me a message. If you don't, I hope I see you somewhere on the Australian mainland.
Second the mainland bit. Quite a few members here in South East Queensland if you end up here. I'm sure we can arrange a meet up if keen.

jazz

Rank I

Enthusiast I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
jason
Last Name
hui
I'm from Australia and was looking to buy a Honda Civic but couldn't find what I wanted locally or nearby. So, I started looking overseas and found some great options in the USA. Initially, I thought shipping a car to Australia would be too complicated, but then I found some useful info at Car Shipping. It mentioned that shipping a standard-sized car or small truck from the USA could cost between $3,500 and $6,000. Though using a container might be cheaper, there are extra costs like duties and import fees to consider. I ended up paying around $5,500 in total, and my car arrived faster than expected, in about 3 weeks. So from Singapore in Australia si much easier and cheaper to ship a car.

Last edited:

Pete471

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Faversham, UK
First Name
Pete
Last Name
OKeeffe
Member #

Great. What was the company and what was the cost please?
What type of vehicle did you ship?
Was the timetable (as in weekly timetables) good?
What port in Aussie did you ship in to
How was customs?