vehicle mounted heat exchanger for shower.

• HTML tutorial

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
I use a portable shower that uses a small propane bottle. I use it out on the trail and I hooking to the back of my semi and use it any where. It's the ecotemp hot water on demand.
Thats what we use too, but we'll be changing to a non-propane option. The EcoTemps get a little explode-ey in at least one application and the warranty wasn't exactly ideal. Use with healthy caution and it's probably fine, but the risk combined with the desire to standardize fuel across our stuff means we'll go with an onboard, either a Helton or a Plate exchanger, when the time comes.

Reactions: Horse Soldier

Gustavo Amaral

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

São Paulo, Brazil
First Name
Gustavo
Last Name
Amaral
Member #

Here’s photos of mine. My 10gal tank is a drop-in I made to replace the small cubby area in the back cargo area of the JKU. I bought most of it off amazon, but made many trips to Lowe’s for fittings. Lowe’s had a much better selection of fittings then HD. I’ve got the water line tee’d right before it enters the heat exchanger so I can have a cold and hot water line running to a mixing valve that is located inside the shower enclosure that is attached to the side of my roof rack, above the front passenger door. The black gas flex line is used as the neck of the shower head so I can fold it all back up to fit in the vinyl bag of the shower enclosure. View attachment 69602View attachment 69603View attachment 69604View attachment 69605View attachment 69606View attachment 69607View attachment 69608View attachment 69609View attachment 69610View attachment 69611
Nice ideas Mudbug! Did you research about galvanic corrosion on your engine using this heat exchanger? It will not produce this effect?

Reesnick

Rank I

Member I

Parachute, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Hoggan
Member #

Aluminu
I just got done building a full onboard shower system for my '14 JKU. Since I have a 2 drawer galley in the rear cargo area, I could never access the small built-in storage area underneath. So I cut it out and built a 10 gal aluminum tank to drop in the big hole that was left. I mounted a 12v, 3gpm diaphragm pump right in front of that, between the springs. A 10 plate heat exchanger is mounted to the driver's side firewall. The heat exchanger is connected straight to the heat core lines. I tee'd off of the exchanger fresh water input line so I could use it for "cold" water, then ran the hot output line and the cold (ambient tempurature) line up and under the rear hood cowl, then over and out through the passenger side (that spot where the mirror dents when they forget to put the strap back on their door and the wind blows it forward and into the fender.) The two lines then go up the A-piller support on my roof rack and into a mixing valve that is attached to a self-contained shower enclosure that deploys in 20 seconds or less. The shower head is connected to a stainless flex gas line so that it can be strapped back inside the shower enclosure bag when not in use. I only completed it last Saturday, so I haven't been able to use it out in the wild yet.

You can see the build on IG @Mudbug_JK
[/QUOT

aluminum tank:
Any problems yet with skin reactions from aluminum chloride????? Or did you somehow coat the inside? Does the water taste different? If you’ve replaced the tank already, what did you use? Welded hdpe, prefab plastic, other? Thanks for teaching.

Mudbug_JK

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston, TX 77072
Member #

I don’t believe aluminum chloride is a problem unless you clean the tank with chloride. I researched as much as possible before I made the tank with 5052 H32 aluminum. You can clean/flush the tank with peroxide with no chemical reaction. I have only used it for washing though. There has been no smell or discoloration in the water, but I also flush it out a lot.

Reesnick

Rank I

Member I

Parachute, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Hoggan
Member #

I don’t believe aluminum chloride is a problem unless you clean the tank with chloride. I researched as much as possible before I made the tank with 5052 H32 aluminum. You can clean/flush the tank with peroxide with no chemical reaction. I have only used it for washing though. There has been no smell or discoloration in the water, but I also flush it out a lot.
Thanks for replying. U joint Offroad made an aluminum water tank for me, we filled it up, drank out of it the next day, and it had a horrible taste. I thought it might be that… But, I would love to know if yours has an odd taste or not if you’re willing to give it a try. Ours looked normal. Maybe I’ll try flushing it out a few times and seeing if that makes a difference. I haven’t used it in over three years.
my quick Google search about chloride naturally occurring in tapwater:
Chloride in Drinking Water. Chloride is a naturally occurring element that is common in most natural waters and is most often found as a component of salt (sodium chloride) or in some cases in combination with potassium or calcium.

Mudbug_JK

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston, TX 77072
Member #

Thanks for replying. U joint Offroad made an aluminum water tank for me, we filled it up, drank out of it the next day, and it had a horrible taste. I thought it might be that… But, I would love to know if yours has an odd taste or not if you’re willing to give it a try. Ours looked normal. Maybe I’ll try flushing it out a few times and seeing if that makes a difference. I haven’t used it in over three years.
my quick Google search about chloride naturally occurring in tapwater:
Chloride in Drinking Water. Chloride is a naturally occurring element that is common in most natural waters and is most often found as a component of salt (sodium chloride) or in some cases in combination with potassium or calcium.
That makes sense. We haven’t used it for drink water though. Only washing. But I can go give it a try today and let you know. That water has been sitting in there for about a week now.

Reesnick

Rank I

Member I

Parachute, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Hoggan
Member #

That makes sense. We haven’t used it for drink water though. Only washing. But I can go give it a try today and let you know. That water has been sitting in there for about a week now.
Thanks soooo much. I’m VERY interested. Was about to pull mine out. I don’t know the type of aluminum, just that they made it. When we took our first drinks and gagged on the flavor that was the only reasonable answer I could find. Chris at UJOR did great on so many things. The rack and tank were firsts/experimental. Maybe I’ll try running water through a dozen times, then retry.

Mudbug_JK

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston, TX 77072
Member #

Thanks soooo much. I’m VERY interested. Was about to pull mine out. I don’t know the type of aluminum, just that they made it. When we took our first drinks and gagged on the flavor that was the only reasonable answer I could find. Chris at UJOR did great on so many things. The rack and tank were firsts/experimental. Maybe I’ll try running water through a dozen times, then retry.
I flushed the shit out of it before I used it. Give it a shot. Use some peroxide, and flush it out another dozen times.

Reactions: Reesnick

Frasco90

Rank I

Contributor III

Italy
First Name
Francesco
Last Name
Scollo
I just got done building a full onboard shower system for my '14 JKU. Since I have a 2 drawer galley in the rear cargo area, I could never access the small built-in storage area underneath. So I cut it out and built a 10 gal aluminum tank to drop in the big hole that was left. I mounted a 12v, 3gpm diaphragm pump right in front of that, between the springs. A 10 plate heat exchanger is mounted to the driver's side firewall. The heat exchanger is connected straight to the heat core lines. I tee'd off of the exchanger fresh water input line so I could use it for "cold" water, then ran the hot output line and the cold (ambient tempurature) line up and under the rear hood cowl, then over and out through the passenger side (that spot where the mirror dents when they forget to put the strap back on their door and the wind blows it forward and into the fender.) The two lines then go up the A-piller support on my roof rack and into a mixing valve that is attached to a self-contained shower enclosure that deploys in 20 seconds or less. The shower head is connected to a stainless flex gas line so that it can be strapped back inside the shower enclosure bag when not in use. I only completed it last Saturday, so I haven't been able to use it out in the wild yet.

You can see the build on IG @Mudbug_JK
Sounds great! I was thinking of doing something similar to my 2dr JKR, will definitely take inspiration! Just need to find some space in the diesel engine cowl...!

ebarrere

Rank I

Contributor III

Denver
This is cool, I’m thinking of adding one on my Tacoma. How long do you need to run the engine if it’s cold to get hot water? I’d imagine it needs to be pretty hot..?

We often stay put for several days and I’m debating heat exchanger vs propane..

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

Thats what we use too, but we'll be changing to a non-propane option. The EcoTemps get a little explode-ey in at least one application and the warranty wasn't exactly ideal. Use with healthy caution and it's probably fine, but the risk combined with the desire to standardize fuel across our stuff means we'll go with an onboard, either a Helton or a Plate exchanger, when the time comes.

May have to re-think on this idea, thanks.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

tjbeatty

Rank 0

Contributor I

Santa Barbara, CA, USA
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Beatty
Here’s photos of mine. My 10gal tank is a drop-in I made to replace the small cubby area in the back cargo area of the JKU. I bought most of it off amazon, but made many trips to Lowe’s for fittings. Lowe’s had a much better selection of fittings then HD. I’ve got the water line tee’d right before it enters the heat exchanger so I can have a cold and hot water line running to a mixing valve that is located inside the shower enclosure that is attached to the side of my roof rack, above the front passenger door. The black gas flex line is used as the neck of the shower head so I can fold it all back up to fit in the vinyl bag of the shower enclosure. View attachment 69602View attachment 69603View attachment 69604View attachment 69605View attachment 69606View attachment 69607View attachment 69608View attachment 69609View attachment 69610View attachment 69611
I know this is an old thread, but I am researching how to do this myself, so I'm hoping for a response. Just to confirm - you are using your engine coolant (i.e. radiator fluid) in line from the engine to the radiator in the black tubes coming from the heat exchanger?

Mudbug_JK

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston, TX 77072
Member #

I know this is an old thread, but I am researching how to do this myself, so I'm hoping for a response. Just to confirm - you are using your engine coolant (i.e. radiator fluid) in line from the engine to the radiator in the black tubes coming from the heat exchanger?
Correct. There are two completely different lines running through the heat exchanger. One from the heater core line, and the second is for the fresh water.

Reactions: tjbeatty