Vehicle Intercom

• HTML tutorial

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

While this does not fall strictly under the communications topic, Jeeps (especially older models) are notoriously loud on the road and that's with the top on. Take the top off, and it's almost impossible talking to your buddy next to you. I'd been thinking about a vehicle intercom and mentioned it a few times to wife, who dismissed it as ridiculous. Well, ridiculous came for Christmas as my wife surprised me with this Rugged Radio intercom system.

IMG_0538.JPG

Install was relatively easy and took less than 30 minutes. While not "street legal", there are many times on the lonely highways out here in the West that that's a non-issue. Testing out in the driveway and I'm very pleased with ease of operation, sound quality and the ability to plug in a cell phone to the unit. I'd like to see if I can wire in the CB as well.

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0543.JPG

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Next Saturday my son and I are headed to Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl. I suspect the long, lonely stretch of 93 between Kingman and Phoenix will be the perfect time to put it to use.

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Thats awesome! I always wanted something like this for taking to passengers in my back seats. I have since removed the back seats but still like the idea. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Jkroberts

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lake Forest CA
Member #

That's badass!! I've been wanting one as well. Well, my wife wants one but doesn't know it yet. She hates my truck because it's too loud and she can't talk to me while driving. Do you know if you can play music through the headset as well?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Nice gift.

In California it would be illegal to wear the headset covering both ears on road - is that different in NV?

How much do theses isolate you from surrounding noise?
It's not street legal but the times I really need it would be out in the wilds of the West. Sound isolation is excellent, thus making it not street legal and comparable to hearing protection I use with firearms.

That's badass!! I've been wanting one as well. Well, my wife wants one but doesn't know it yet. She hates my truck because it's too loud and she can't talk to me while driving. Do you know if you can play music through the headset as well?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
There are inputs for both music and cell phones. I've tested the cell phone and it works very well.

Last edited:

Jkroberts

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lake Forest CA
Member #

It's not street legal but the times I really need it would be out in the wilds of the West. Sound isolation is excellent, thus making it not street legal and comparable to hearing protection I use with firearms.

There are inputs for both music and cell phones. I've tested the cell phone and it's works very well.
Fantastic!! Last question I promise. Most the time I would just need 2 headsets, for me and my wife. How hard would it be to add on say 3 more for when I have 3 people in my back seat as well?

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Fantastic!! Last question I promise. Most the time I would just need 2 headsets, for me and my wife. How hard would it be to add on say 3 more for when I have 3 people in my back seat as well?
No worries about the questions. This unit is expandable to 4 headsets but Rugged Radio has one that does 6.

Reactions: Big110

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Such a good idea! If you don't mind me asking, where'd she find these? I did a quick Amazon search and found some cheapy versions that don't look near this professional, but maybe they'd work for basic stuff.

On the fire side we use FireCom headsets that accomplish the same idea. For you guys who wheel a lot and utilize spotters regularly a wireless system would be killer. In our apparatus the driver and officer are both wireless, back seat firefighters are wired. This allows the operator to pump on a fireground and stay in immediate intercom contact with the apparatus officer, or the officer acts as a spotter while backing. Same principle but I'm not sure what the difference in price would be for a FireCom system.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Such a good idea! If you don't mind me asking, where'd she find these? I did a quick Amazon search and found some cheapy versions that don't look near this professional, but maybe they'd work for basic stuff.

On the fire side we use FireCom headsets that accomplish the same idea. For you guys who wheel a lot and utilize spotters regularly a wireless system would be killer. In our apparatus the driver and officer are both wireless, back seat firefighters are wired. This allows the operator to pump on a fireground and stay in immediate intercom contact with the apparatus officer, or the officer acts as a spotter while backing. Same principle but I'm not sure what the difference in price would be for a FireCom system.
My wife went directly to http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=395_978_980&products_id=434 and ordered direct.

Reactions: KyleGrant

GFB_Steve

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
gfb
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WJH
Nice gift.

In California it would be illegal to wear the headset covering both ears on road - is that different in NV?

How much do theses isolate you from surrounding noise?
You could also use a single-sided headset which would leave one ear open to the outside world. Of course, that defeats some of the purpose, but makes it legal for the street. I've used headsets on dirt roads and trails for years and have never been questioned, though.

Last edited:

caswanson

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Flint Hills
I've been kicking around this idea as well. Wanting to drive my CJ5 with only a bikini top and still have a conversation with passengers. But I'm also a budget builder:grin:. SO, I've actually been looking at small aircraft intercom systems. Anyone have any insight/experience in that field?

DRLExpress

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Estacada OR
Member #

I've been kicking around this idea as well. Wanting to drive my CJ5 with only a bikini top and still have a conversation with passengers. But I'm also a budget builder:grin:. SO, I've actually been looking at small aircraft intercom systems. Anyone have any insight/experience in that field?
If it says aircraft on it you can't be on a budget. :grinning:

caswanson

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Flint Hills
HAHA! It would seem so. But I can get a 2 place aircraft intercom used on ebay for $50. I think that's all I would need other than headsets. Unless I'm unaware of another necessary component to make it work.???

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

You could also use a single-sided headset which would leave one ear open to the outside world. Of course, that defeats some of the purpose, but makes it legal for the street. I've used headsets on dirt roads and trails for years and have never been questioned, though.
It appears you can wear ear plugs for hearing protection, but not a headset (IN CALIFORNIA). It also seems that you could wear a headset over one ear, and an ear plug in the other.

Here's the actual California code section:

A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a headset covering, earplugs in, or earphones covering, resting on, or inserted in, both ears. This prohibition does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person operating authorized emergency vehicles, as defined in Section 165.

(b) A person engaged in the operation of either special construction equipment or equipment for use in the maintenance of any highway.

(c) A person engaged in the operation of refuse collection equipment who is wearing a safety headset or safety earplugs.

(d) A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a manner so as to not inhibit the wearer’s ability to hear a siren or horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.

(e) A person using a prosthetic device that aids the hard of hearing.

(Amended by Stats. 2015, Ch. 451, Sec. 55. (SB 491) Effective January 1, 2016.)