Launch Member

Contributor III

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Vincent
Last Name
Maxfield
Member #

I'd be down, the 15th is supposed to be when I leave here and move to Cali, but there's still a chance I'll be stuck in Norfolk due to a travel ban extension.

Reactions: No mad

CBallard

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Camaron
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Good evening. Just joined the group. Richmond area here. Just got my dream suv 04 4Runner V8 LTD and need to put a lift on. Novice with all of this. Would love to meet up/chat with anyone about local suggestions for shops or best suspension kits to use. Looking at OME.

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
Good evening. Just joined the group. Richmond area here. Just got my dream suv 04 4Runner V8 LTD and need to put a lift on. Novice with all of this. Would love to meet up/chat with anyone about local suggestions for shops or best suspension kits to use. Looking at OME.
Where in Richmond? I'm out in the Oilville area. For a shop hit up RVA's Overland Outfitter | Custom Truck & Jeep Center

Reactions: T4X Overland

foamy_squirrel

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Moy
Member #

Welcome to the group first off!

Secondly, glad to see more Richmond people popping up on the forums. I am also in Richmond, West End area. I would love to have you along on this trip we're planning. I can tell you it will not be anything crazy or dangerous. We will most likely be doing a moderate/easy trail, a nice pull in camp area and just enjoy the outdoors!

Also, check out TrailTec 4x4. He is close by to us and he offers many upgrades and services.

Reactions: T4X Overland

foamy_squirrel

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Moy
Member #

Any ideas for West Va? , I did Seneca rock and some caves back in feb
I think we are going to end up doing something more in the VA area, like possibly Crabtree Falls, or somewhere in GWNF. I would like to do something in Monongahela NF if it is open by that time... we shall see.

CBallard

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Camaron
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Welcome to the group first off!

Secondly, glad to see more Richmond people popping up on the forums. I am also in Richmond, West End area. I would love to have you along on this trip we're planning. I can tell you it will not be anything crazy or dangerous. We will most likely be doing a moderate/easy trail, a nice pull in camp area and just enjoy the outdoors!

Also, check out TrailTec 4x4. He is close by to us and he offers many upgrades and services.
Thanks! I’ve already reached out to Herb. He said first week of may he’ll be scheduling by apt only. Not sure if my stock 4Runner will be able to make the trail, but if the campsite is in an accessible spot I’d love to camp out and maybe ride along with someone for the trail section. That might be the best path to take as I’ve never gone trail riding. Could be a second set of eyes for someone and learn by watching along the way.

jakeandhisdodge

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Ten Eyck
Member #

Not sure if my stock 4Runner will be able to make the trail
The trails aren't that bad, i watched a full sized stock chevy 1500 use good throttle control and wheel placement and did everything the lifted jeeps were doing in the GWNF. Still really great looking trails and scenery but if they say the trails are light they're usually like gravel roads. Just enough shakes to give you the real off roady feel but you're not rock crawling. I only put lockers in my truck because its just easier to switch on the rear loc instead of stopping and swapping to 4wd for 2 min. I've never had to use them to actually get through an obstacle lol

CBallard

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Camaron
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

The trails aren't that bad, i watched a full sized stock chevy 1500 use good throttle control and wheel placement and did everything the lifted jeeps were doing in the GWNF. Still really great looking trails and scenery but if they say the trails are light they're usually like gravel roads. Just enough shakes to give you the real off roady feel but you're not rock crawling. I only put lockers in my truck because its just easier to switch on the rear loc instead of stopping and swapping to 4wd for 2 min. I've never had to use them to actually get through an obstacle lol
Well good. The V8 is always in 4wd. I realized today while driving through Scott’s Addition that it means I only have to go into 4L when it gets tough. One of those random thoughts you have to yourself while driving around.

jakeandhisdodge

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Ten Eyck
Member #

I kinda miss having a set up like that because my truck now is a really long wheel base, so I've had it where coming down a slope while doing a sharp turn at the bottom. Then then one of the wheel lifts a little and looses traction, so when i had my old axles it would just spin and I'd stop. Then confused I'd search around, see it, cuss to myself, engage 4wd, drive forward, stop and disengage 4. It was so annoying.

Reactions: CBallard

foamy_squirrel

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Moy
Member #

Yeah CBallard... if we end up going to GWNF ( we most likely will due to available space and trail difficulty level ) you will have no problem coming along and hitting the trail in your 4runner. There are some fun, technical parts that any stock 4x4 can do. So you can still have some fun.

I am going to go ahead and say that we will most definitely be going to GWNF or Crabtree Falls after doing research and calling area offices to see what will potentially be open, and it doesn't look too promising so... But either one of these areas is plenty good for relaxation and some off road fun!

Hey Jake... dodge life... lol! I feel ya in those moments... 97 ram 1500, long bed... yeah.................

Reactions: jakeandhisdodge

foamy_squirrel

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Moy
Member #

Thanks! I’ve already reached out to Herb. He said first week of may he’ll be scheduling by apt only. Not sure if my stock 4Runner will be able to make the trail, but if the campsite is in an accessible spot I’d love to camp out and maybe ride along with someone for the trail section. That might be the best path to take as I’ve never gone trail riding. Could be a second set of eyes for someone and learn by watching along the way.
We will guide you along... you'll have no worries my friend.

T4X Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glen Allen, VA, USA
First Name
Herb
Last Name
Coulter
Member #

@4LO_Panda and @Boucher Thanks for the shout out guys!

Haven't been on here much lately so I've missed most of this. We shut down for a bit to see what was up with the virus situation but I'm getting things going again as CBallard said the first week of the month. Just keeping it by appointment only since "we" is down to just me again and it's slow enough I'm working from home part of the time.

I'll keep an eye on what's going on and maybe I can make it out for a trip soon too.

Reactions: foamy_squirrel

foamy_squirrel

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Moy
Member #

We have decided on a spot for the trip on May 15-17th. We will be going to the Skidmore Fork Lake area. Please, if you are planning on coming along for this trip, please let me know. I need a headcount so I know which spots we can use for camping.

Reactions: CasT4R0369

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
We have decided on a spot for the trip on May 15-17th. We will be going to the Skidmore Fork Lake area. Please, if you are planning on coming along for this trip, please let me know. I need a headcount so I know which spots we can use for camping.
I'm out got a call this am headed for Afghanistan for about a month or so , have fun

Reactions: foamy_squirrel

foamy_squirrel

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Moy
Member #

So... I'd like to ask what everyone would like to do as far as food goes...? Usually we like to do a communal meal one night, like steaks or something,

Anybody have any thoughts?

I know I will be doing pancakes and bacon both mornings, so if anybody would like to get in on that, lmk as well.