Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Overland Bound Campout in Sand Hollow/Sand Mountain recreation area to get to know people, strengthen relationships, make new friends, learn some new skills, and just have fun in general. This will be a base camp style trip with different trail options and opportunities for training on coms, mapping, and other overland skills.

View Rally Point
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Sounds great.....just wish it were closer. :(

Adventure4rx4

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rathdrum, ID, USA
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
4rx4
Member #

This sounds fun. I been wanting to go here. What trails do you plan on doing. Also what other things do you think?

Knitron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
Hey guys, due to the balmy weather forecast for this Thursday (high of 41 and low of 25) will be moving this in doors this month. We will be meeting at Costa Vida in Bountiful. Come to just chat and meet, to get drinks or to eat. Whatever you feel like doing. We will meet at 6PM. Address below. Also, this time of year make a good opportunity to move the meetup around a little bit. So if someone knows of a good in door location that doesn't mind a larger group, message me and we'll see what we can do to set it up!

Costa Vida
501 W 2600 S, Bountiful, UT 84010

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Camping will be on BLM.. no bathrooms or water nearby so please plan to pack out what you pack in. Town is not far and 5-10 min to nearest gas station. I will post coordinates of camping location as it gets more near, but if you want an idea of where we are going to be look up "Long valley recreation area" on the Google machine.

There are a lot of fun, technical, and simple trails. A great chance to discover the capability of your rig and also to get some experience in driving on sand in the dunes.

Loose itinerary currently as follows:
Friday Nov 8 - arrive and setup camp, meet people, camp fire, etc

Saturday - group trail run, trails may be split into different groups depending on vehicle capabilities
Sand dunes exploration and playing
Dinner followed by Gaia Maps overview and Q&A

Sunday - explore trails, terrain, etc
I will be guiding a slot canyon for some interested called Yankee Doodle Hollow that does require 2 rappels (20 and 80ft) and quite a bit of down climbing.. it's a good introduction into Canyoneering. We will leave for that between 1 and 1:30 after lunch.

Monday - additional exploration on Sand Mountain and other surrounding areas and departure to home.

Cuffs

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

La Verkin, UT, USA
First Name
Wendi
Last Name
Merritt
Member #

I'll hang out Friday eve for the fire, and Im all in for Yankee Doodle, thats been on my list for a while now!!

The temps have dropped significantly this week. it was barely 40 by noon today in Hurricane... Hard freeze warning for the area over night all week.

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
For those that haven't been to the area... or as a reminder to those who have.. Flags are required for all vehicle on Sand Mountain.. @Cendee will be bringing some small OB flags, but you will need a rod or stick at minimum mounted to your rig to be able to attach the flag.. or you can get whip flag similar to the one on my rig in the picture above. Please plan accordingly! Stay tuned for more updates!

BlakersenAirplane

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Riverton, UT, USA
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Jensen
Member #

My wife and I are back in! Working on finishing a few things up but we should be good to go. Not sure we can make it down on Friday but we should be in on Saturday for sure

Reactions: Cendee

liveoak

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
live
Last Name
oak
I'll be up in St George that week visiting my son so I'm going to try to make it there for at least Friday night and Saturday

Last edited:

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Dun Dun Dun! The week has arrived! Here is the UPDATE everyone has been waiting for. I have made some changes to our camping location due to the size of the group we are expecting. As we have invited several people that are not part or Overlandbound (YET!) and wish to Connect with more people I have selected a beautiful location that is much quieter, more secluded, and has more space available. Don't worry, it will actually only add about 5 minutes to your drive, and may be closer for some of you. This is still on BLM land.. no water (unless you count the cattle trough) no bathrooms. There are some dinosaur tracks nearby, as well as the remains of Historic Fort Pierce.

The area has endless opportunities for exploration and quick access to Sand Mountain (flags required - see post above) . I will be arriving Friday morning sometime and setting up my trailer and then be going out for some exploration nearby, If you don't know what my trailer looks like..there is a link with a build thread attached to my profile. We will have 12-15 rigs several trailers, and possibly a brave RV joining us. so please try to setup accordingly. On the extremely unlikely chance this location is taken look for an Overlandbound basecamp flag along the main road, there are several good locations in the area to camp.

Camp turnoff coordinates: 37.014031, -113.378012 if coming from the north, I recommend traveling to Hurricane, UT turning south on 700 w. Google will take you through Washington, UT and will also take you to the correct location. You will turn south into camp at these coordinates.

We will be using 151.685 (33 or NETWORK if I programmed your radio) and 13-13 if you only have FRS for Communications (Talkabout or Midland)

Please bring firewood if you can, it is getting dark sooner and we would love to keep the flame burning.

I will update the Rally Point Coordinates to reflect the new location.

We will be doing a trail Saturday for those that would like to participate.. we would like to leave camp by 10 and plan to have lunch on Sand Mountain.

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

Dun Dun Dun! The week has arrived! Here is the UPDATE everyone has been waiting for. I have made some changes to our camping location due to the size of the group we are expecting. As we have invited several people that are not part or Overlandbound (YET!) and wish to Connect with more people I have selected a beautiful location that is much quieter, more secluded, and has more space available. Don\'t worry, it will actually only add about 5 minutes to your drive, and may be closer for some of you. This is still on BLM land.. no water (unless you count the cattle trough) no bathrooms. There are some dinosaur tracks nearby, as well as the remains of Historic Fort Pierce.

The area has endless opportunities for exploration and quick access to Sand Mountain (flags required - see post above) . I will be arriving Friday morning sometime and setting up my trailer and then be going out for some exploration nearby, If you don\'t know what my trailer looks like..there is a link with a build thread attached to my profile. We will have 12-15 rigs several trailers, and possibly a brave RV joining us. so please try to setup accordingly. On the extremely unlikely chance this location is taken look for an Overlandbound basecamp flag along the main road, there are several good locations in the area to camp.

Camp turnoff coordinates: 37.014031, -113.378012 if coming from the north, I recommend traveling to Hurricane, UT turning south on 700 w. Google will take you through Washington, UT and will also take you to the correct location. You will turn south into camp at these coordinates.

We will be using 151.685 (33 or NETWORK if I programmed your radio) and 13-13 if you only have FRS for Communications (Talkabout or Midland)

Please bring firewood if you can, it is getting dark sooner and we would love to keep the flame burning.

I will update the Rally Point Coordinates to reflect the new location.

We will be doing a trail Saturday for those that would like to participate.. we would like to leave camp by 10 and plan to have lunch on Sand Mountain.
oohhhh I cant wait to have some fun in the sun!!!!

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
Do to some medical issues I won’t be down tonight but hopefully I will be down in the morning if nothing else to meet some of you great people. Probably be down that way around 8 or9 in the morning see you then

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
It was nice to meet all of you, thank you for your hospitality
It was a good time man, thanks for coming! Send me you Gmail address and I'll get you hooked up with some photos

WeGoPlacez

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ogden, UT, USA
First Name
Jessica
Last Name
Shaw
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HBA
We had an amazing time with you all! See you at the next meetup! We will be posting video and photos once we upload them.

Attachments

Reactions: Cuffs

Cuffs

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

La Verkin, UT, USA
First Name
Wendi
Last Name
Merritt
Member #

We had an amazing time with you all! See you at the next meetup! We will be posting video and photos once we upload them.
THank you for sharing! Due to other 'stuff' I had to bail and take care of business. Looks like a good time for sure!