Using rigs during bad weather or natural disasters

• HTML tutorial

GoldenStateAdv

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lompoc, Ca
Member #

I live in CA and my main concern is wildfires (don't know if you guys knew we had those around here :lol) My neighborhood only has 1 point of egress, my community only has 3 points of egress, and my geographical region only has 3 points as well--all which would experience exponential congestion . Being a former Firefighter I don't always look for evac, but also safety zones. In my situation, I have multiple safety zones as egress will most likely be impossible or compromised. Even though I have one of the most capable 4wds out there, an emergency is just that, and is a time you don't want to increase the risk or factors for danger. Have a plan, be prepared, listen to warnings, and leave BEFORE you need to.

Noble Savage

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Deland, FL
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Gore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4URN
That hurricane Dorian ain't no joke anymore. 203 mph winds right now. Most powerful storm in this region. Let's pray it doesn't hit us. I feel sorry for the Bahamas. 24 hours of cat 5 winds. Insane!
It’s gonna cause some major damage here even is the eye doesn’t make landfall. My and my family are ready to head to our fallback zone if need be. We are expecting to lose power.

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

Def gonna lose power where we live. We were out for 8 or 9 days from Irma in '17; our power frequently goes out during regular storms

Reactions: Bugout80

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
That hurricane Dorian ain't no joke anymore. 203 mph winds right now. Most powerful storm in this region. Let's pray it doesn't hit us. I feel sorry for the Bahamas. 24 hours of cat 5 winds. Insane!
Horrible in my view. I don't even like the sand storm of west Texas that don't last too long but they can be bad while their there. Nothing here in NM to compare with other parts of the country. That's why I'm here. Go west young man !

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Def gonna lose power where we live. We were out for 8 or 9 days from Irma in '17; our power frequently goes out during regular storms
Damn, the bad ones always hit in september...andrew, katrina...hope y'all don't take a bad lick. We always have power outages and I can deal with it until its time to sleep and its 95 degrees in the bedroom. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
It’s gonna cause some major damage here even is the eye doesn’t make landfall. My and my family are ready to head to our fallback zone if need be. We are expecting to lose power.
After Katrina I don't trust the weather service for S - - -. This bugger just may smack Florida right in the middle and keep right on going into the gulf. All it takes is a minor atmosphere change that no ones knows anything about or when it may happen. HUNKER is all I can say.

Noble Savage

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Deland, FL
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Gore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4URN
After Katrina I don't trust the weather service for S - - -. This bugger just may smack Florida right in the middle and keep right on going into the gulf. All it takes is a minor atmosphere change that no ones knows anything about or when it may happen. HUNKER is all I can say.
We are, got off work this afternoon and they don’t want me back till Thursday at the earliest. We are gonna do some last minute stuff tomorrow and wait it out. This isn’t out first rodeo and sure won’t be our last. This is one of the main reason why I got me a Tacoma, you never know what’s gonna happen.

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

I’ve lived in Florida my whole life within city limits and my girlfriend has lived in a small town. We have a hurricane coming our way soon. We were talking about how we tackle driving during the storms and routes to use rather than major roads. I know how to get around all major roads in the area to get the hell out of dodge if I need to. Am I the only one who has a SHTF plan for hurricanes and other weather related disasters using my rig as temporary shelter and travel?
I have a SHTF plan for just about everything, and even own a company that does risk mitigation and crisis response, helping people in SHTF situations. We operate everywhere. From Hurricane Katrina and the Tsunami in Haiti, to the protests/civil unrest in Cairo and the Uttarakhand floods in India. Getting people out of SHTF situations is what I do. It’s actually what drew me to overlanding, as it was a way for me to use my experiences and skills for a more positive purpose. If you have a legit ‘overland mindset’ and rig, you’ll not only be better prepared for a disaster, but more importantly you’ll be better prepared to make the decision whether it is feasible to drive in the existing and forecasted conditions. Ask any remote or wilderness medic, and they’ll tell you that the decision making process to stay or bug out is one of the most important parts of the job. In my opinion, those who overland are way ahead of the game in terms of raw skills, equipment, experience and mindset for a disaster, natural or man-made.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I have a SHTF plan for just about everything, and even own a company that does risk mitigation and crisis response, helping people in SHTF situations. We operate everywhere. From Hurricane Katrina and the Tsunami in Haiti, to the protests/civil unrest in Cairo and the Uttarakhand floods in India. Getting people out of SHTF situations is what I do. It’s actually what drew me to overlanding, as it was a way for me to use my experiences and skills for a more positive purpose. If you have a legit ‘overland mindset’ and rig, you’ll not only be better prepared for a disaster, but more importantly you’ll be better prepared to make the decision whether it is feasible to drive in the existing and forecasted conditions. Ask any remote or wilderness medic, and they’ll tell you that the decision making process to stay or bug out is one of the most important parts of the job. In my opinion, those who overland are way ahead of the game in terms of raw skills, equipment, experience and mindset for a disaster, natural or man-made.
Yes, Amem, we have some experts who don't even know it because it is a way of life for them. Those are the guys I don't want to lose sight of and hope to get to know better.

Reactions: Specter

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Yes, Amem, we have some experts who don't even know it because it is a way of life for them. Those are the guys I don't want to lose sight of and hope to get to know better.
With the Hurricane stalling, and now a cat 5, the worst case scenario is now unfolding. As has been posted above, a certain mindset for preparation will go along way to surviving this. As I have posted before, supplies and a plan, along with the right gear for coming out the other side will make all the difference. With a storm of this magnitude, there is only so much FEMA can do before it makes landfall. Their best efforts will be on the other side to help pickup the pieces.

Call me pessimistic, but the MSM will be trotting out people complaining about FEMA not having a band-aid for their cut finger.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Specter said:

I have a SHTF plan for just about everything, and even own a company that does risk mitigation and crisis response, helping people in SHTF situations. We operate everywhere. From Hurricane Katrina and the Tsunami in Haiti, to the protests/civil unrest in Cairo and the Uttarakhand floods in India. Getting people out of SHTF situations is what I do. It’s actually what drew me to over-landing, as it was a way for me to use my experiences and skills for a more positive purpose. If you have a legit ‘overland mindset and rig, you’ll not only be better prepared for a disaster, but more importantly you’ll be better prepared to make the decision whether it is feasible to drive in the existing and forecast ed conditions. Ask any remote or wilderness medic, and they’ll tell you that the decision making process to stay or bug out is one of the most important parts of the job. In my opinion, those who overland are way ahead of the game in terms of raw skills, equipment, experience and mindset for a disaster, natural or man-made.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You also will hear about services (MSM) not up and running again in 48 hours, and it will be the governments fault. Reality check is this is a SLOW MOVING....CAT 5. The worst possible combination. I expect too many will buy a case of water/beer, some bag of chips, and call it good. It never fails, these will be the first to complain. Lets hope more people have got a clue from last years Florida panhandle hit, and prepare accordingly.

There is no way most areas in it's path are not going to suffer bad, if nothing shifts it's path to a off-shore model. Thoughts and prayers, I'm hoping some relatives will be okay down there.

PS: The Red Cross just sent a volunteer convoy 2 days ago from Las Vegas, with supplies and personal, for the Florida area.

Last edited:

American Off-Road Club

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, NY, USA
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Kemak
Member #

Up here I don't get hurricanes and I get very few tornadoes. However horrible thunder storms high winds and snowstorms as well as flooding are rather common. I choose to be on the road more or less as a public service than anything. For example, this is Maxx, my old rig, last winter right after winter storm Harper.

Attachments

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

Damn, the bad ones always hit in september...andrew, katrina...hope y'all don't take a bad lick. We always have power outages and I can deal with it until its time to sleep and its 95 degrees in the bedroom. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Thanks buddy

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

You gonna ride it out you ol salt ?
Yep, we're tied down. I slept through Irma and got right to cleaning and sawing the next day. That's my Plan 1 for this one as well. I'd rather be here to deal with an issue before it gets too big. But if it does get big, well I've got a couple options for that as well

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

Up here I don't get hurricanes and I get very few tornadoes. However horrible thunder storms high winds and snowstorms as well as flooding are rather common. I choose to be on the road more or less as a public service than anything. For example, this is Maxx, my old rig, last winter right after winter storm Harper.
I lived in Kentucky and we had ice storms that would knock out power for days. The pendulum swings from here problems of heat, up there, problems of no heat. We were lucky to have access to natural gas, and set up a generator to run from it when power went down.

Bugout80

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Fernando
Last Name
Alvarez
Member #

Down here in Miami I think we've been spared this time from major disaster; I'm very concerned for the central and northern east of Florida coast. We'll start getting some Tropical Storm winds later this afternoon.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
With the Hurricane stalling, and now a cat 5, the worst case scenario is now unfolding. As has been posted above, a certain mindset for preparation will go along way to surviving this. As I have posted before, supplies and a plan, along with the right gear for coming out the other side will make all the difference. With a storm of this magnitude, there is only so much FEMA can do before it makes landfall. Their best efforts will be on the other side to help pickup the pieces.

Call me pessimistic, but the MSM will be trotting out people complaining about FEMA not having a band-aid for their cut finger.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Specter said:

I have a SHTF plan for just about everything, and even own a company that does risk mitigation and crisis response, helping people in SHTF situations. We operate everywhere. From Hurricane Katrina and the Tsunami in Haiti, to the protests/civil unrest in Cairo and the Uttarakhand floods in India. Getting people out of SHTF situations is what I do. It’s actually what drew me to over-landing, as it was a way for me to use my experiences and skills for a more positive purpose. If you have a legit ‘overland mindset and rig, you’ll not only be better prepared for a disaster, but more importantly you’ll be better prepared to make the decision whether it is feasible to drive in the existing and forecast ed conditions. Ask any remote or wilderness medic, and they’ll tell you that the decision making process to stay or bug out is one of the most important parts of the job. In my opinion, those who overland are way ahead of the game in terms of raw skills, equipment, experience and mindset for a disaster, natural or man-made.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You also will hear about services (MSM) not up and running again in 48 hours, and it will be the governments fault. Reality check is this is a SLOW MOVING....CAT 5. The worst possible combination. I expect too many will buy a case of water/beer, some bag of chips, and call it good. It never fails, these will be the first to complain. Lets hope more people have got a clue from last years Florida panhandle hit, and prepare accordingly.

There is no way most areas in it's path are not going to suffer bad, if nothing shifts it's path to a off-shore model. Thoughts and prayers, I'm hoping some relatives will be okay down there.

PS: The Red Cross just sent a volunteer convoy 2 days ago from Las Vegas, with supplies and personal, for the Florida area.
Totally true, totally accurate, totally right !!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I lived in Kentucky and we had ice storms that would knock out power for days. The pendulum swings from here problems of heat, up there, problems of no heat. We were lucky to have access to natural gas, and set up a generator to run from it when power went down.
It's called self reliance and being responsible for yourself whilst keeping an eye out for the less fortunate.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Down here in Miami I think we've been spared this time from major disaster; I'm very concerned for the central and northern east of Florida coast. We'll start getting some Tropical Storm winds later this afternoon.
Fernando, don't assume anything, Miami is not totally out of it by any means..