Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I setup my rig first as a bugout vehicle, second as an overlander. I don't want to push my luck but I thank God I haven't had to use my rig for any disaster (knock on wood).
It started with Y2K for me. When I realized the interstates were Fed. gov. owned, I knew that I needed a capable 4X4 to go off road to get around Interstate road blocks by the government. I also wanted to be able to go as far out in the boonies as I could to get, away from the cities and the ghouls within. In reality it started in 1960 when we had the Cuban crises and I had to figure a way to save my family since El Paso is a targeted city for nuclear bombs. Everyone else was digging shelters and I said hell no to that. The real reality though is who the hell would want to live in a world after a nuclear war unless you were young enough to really take care of yourself. I gave up on that 20 years ago when I made up my mind if the bad guys want what I have they will have to take it the hard way.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
It started with Y2K for me. When I realized the interstates were Fed. gov. owned, I knew that I needed a capable 4X4 to go off road to get around Interstate road blocks by the government. I also wanted to be able to go as far out in the boonies as I could to get, away from the cities and the ghouls within. In reality it started in 1960 when we had the Cuban crises and I had to figure a way to save my family since El Paso is a targeted city for nuclear bombs. Everyone else was digging shelters and I said hell no to that. The real reality though is who the hell would want to live in a world after a nuclear war unless you were young enough to really take care of yourself. I gave up on that 20 years ago when I made up my mind if the bad guys want what I have they will have to take it the hard way.
You’re a prepper for sure.

Bugout80

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Fernando
Last Name
Alvarez
Member #

I live in Miami and have realized how an Overlanding type vehicle can assist in situations where you either need to relocate before a storm hits; or possibly after it does. I've dodged these storms all my life; currently planning on acquiring an 80 series Toyota for regular trips, and potential future storm related ventures.

Latest on Hurricane Dorian, it's tracking a bit more north of Miami.

Fernando

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
LOL. That's not my pic but I've actually seen that rig at local meets. It gets "mixed" comments ... but mostly laughs.
It's special all right. I love it and it would be great over here at rock city or maybe mud bogging. To each his own and more power to him, especially if he uses it for a good cause like rescue. uhrahhhh

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I live in Miami and have realized how an Overlanding type vehicle can assist in situations where you either need to relocate before a storm hits; or possibly after it does. I've dodged these storms all my life; currently planning on acquiring an 80 series Toyota for regular trips, and potential future storm related ventures.

Latest on Hurricane Dorian, it's tracking a bit more north of Miami.

Fernando
Any good news is good for you. I am wondering how you guys keep your rigs from rusting away with all the salt water you get. I had a friend who bought a new Ford PU in 1966. Four years later it was a rusty bucket and barely made it back to SW Texas before it's whole body collapsed on to the tires from rust. Even the salvage yards didn't want it. Stay safe from the storm.

Reactions: Bugout80

Bugout80

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Fernando
Last Name
Alvarez
Member #

Any good news is good for you. I am wondering how you guys keep your rigs from rusting away with all the salt water you get. I had a friend who bought a new Ford PU in 1966. Four years later it was a rusty bucket and barely made it back to SW Texas before it's whole body collapsed on to the tires from rust. Even the salvage yards didn't want it. Stay safe from the storm.
I would say depends what extreme action you do; those who go into salt water creeks or run offs, yeah that frame will take a hit faster.

For the most part, staying out of salt water marshes, won't be that bad.

The rain and general exposure to older vehicles will get rusted faster; the metal used on newer vehicles is more resistant.

I try and keep vehicles inside or under awnings as much as possible; salt is in the air as well which doesn't help.

I guess it depends how much care you take of the rigs.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I would say depends what extreme action you do; those who go into salt water creeks or run offs, yeah that frame will take a hit faster.

For the most part, staying out of salt water marshes, won't be that bad.

The rain and general exposure to older vehicles will get rusted faster; the metal used on newer vehicles is more resistant.

I try and keep vehicles inside or under awnings as much as possible; salt is in the air as well which doesn't help.

I guess it depends how much care you take of the rigs.
I think it would keep me from buying and fixing up newer rigs and force me to build older rigs knowing that they will be subjected to the harshness of the salt everywhere. I'm glad I live in the west where we have no rust to deal with. My Land Rover Discovery 2 has an aluminum body but steel floor boards and frame. Our roads here are not salted during snow season, instead they use a course red sand that easily washes off in a car wash. Thanks for the insight on salt erosion there.

WILLD420

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nevada
Cat 5?

I just wave as they pass by. Worst part is the traffic afterwards. Lucky for me, I'm heading towards the storm when people are leaving, and away when they return. So if my luck is good, I have my side of the hwy to myself. The heat, and plain olde douchy customers are tied for 2nd. A fear of hurricanes makes as much sense to me as a fear of being eaten by a Galapagos Turtle.

Tornados come at night, completely by surprise. Those are scary.

[Run lady! You only have a whole week to escape before it bites you!:]
He's just happy the stripper finally came to him rather than having to walk to the club...

Reactions: MidOH

WILLD420

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nevada
If you are above the water line and have a hardened shelter, stick around. Othewise, I think a rig is a good idea but the problem is that you are in a state that needs a fanboat to go anywhere once you get off pavement down where the swamps are. We are lucky out here that we don't have those things but we do have wildfires. Shelter in place is the name of the game for those. There isn't any warning and when the wind is blowing 60-80 with gusts at 90+ you can't outrun a fire in tall dead grass. You have to hope the flashover isn't too hot and you've gotten all the debris out of the gutters and off the roof. Every case is different but having more than one plan is the key to safety.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
If you are above the water line and have a hardened shelter, stick around. Othewise, I think a rig is a good idea but the problem is that you are in a state that needs a fanboat to go anywhere once you get off pavement down where the swamps are. We are lucky out here that we don't have those things but we do have wildfires. Shelter in place is the name of the game for those. There isn't any warning and when the wind is blowing 60-80 with gusts at 90+ you can't outrun a fire in tall dead grass. You have to hope the flashover isn't too hot and you've gotten all the debris out of the gutters and off the roof. Every case is different but having more than one plan is the key to safety.
You couldn't give me the whole state of Florida or anything within 100 miles of the gulf and the Atlantic states !!!!!

Bugout80

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Fernando
Last Name
Alvarez
Member #

I think it would keep me from buying and fixing up newer rigs and force me to build older rigs knowing that they will be subjected to the harshness of the salt everywhere. I'm glad I live in the west where we have no rust to deal with. My Land Rover Discovery 2 has an aluminum body but steel floor boards and frame. Our roads here are not salted during snow season, instead they use a course red sand that easily washes off in a car wash. Thanks for the insight on salt erosion there.
Agree, you guys live in a beautiful place for extensive travel and exploring... lucky. There's beautiful areas here, you just need to drive north a bit; nothing in the Miami area, other than spectacular beaches (which ain't bad).
Stay safe.

Fernando