Launch Member

Contributor II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Fernando
Last Name
Alvarez
Member #

Fernando, don't assume anything, Miami is not totally out of it by any means..
Agree
Fernando, don't assume anything, Miami is not totally out of it by any means..
House is boarded up, vehicles gassed up, Generator is ready. I have a recovery box with chain saw, straps and other necessities for after storm related issues. Thanks.

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Yes, Amem, we have some experts who don't even know it because it is a way of life for them. Those are the guys I don't want to lose sight of and hope to get to know better.
Actually, you raise a great point -
With the Hurricane stalling, and now a cat 5, the worst case scenario is now unfolding. As has been posted above, a certain mindset for preparation will go along way to surviving this. As I have posted before, supplies and a plan, along with the right gear for coming out the other side will make all the difference. With a storm of this magnitude, there is only so much FEMA can do before it makes landfall. Their best efforts will be on the other side to help pickup the pieces.

Call me pessimistic, but the MSM will be trotting out people complaining about FEMA not having a band-aid for their cut finger.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Specter said:

I have a SHTF plan for just about everything, and even own a company that does risk mitigation and crisis response, helping people in SHTF situations. We operate everywhere. From Hurricane Katrina and the Tsunami in Haiti, to the protests/civil unrest in Cairo and the Uttarakhand floods in India. Getting people out of SHTF situations is what I do. It’s actually what drew me to over-landing, as it was a way for me to use my experiences and skills for a more positive purpose. If you have a legit ‘overland mindset and rig, you’ll not only be better prepared for a disaster, but more importantly you’ll be better prepared to make the decision whether it is feasible to drive in the existing and forecast ed conditions. Ask any remote or wilderness medic, and they’ll tell you that the decision making process to stay or bug out is one of the most important parts of the job. In my opinion, those who overland are way ahead of the game in terms of raw skills, equipment, experience and mindset for a disaster, natural or man-made.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You also will hear about services (MSM) not up and running again in 48 hours, and it will be the governments fault. Reality check is this is a SLOW MOVING....CAT 5. The worst possible combination. I expect too many will buy a case of water/beer, some bag of chips, and call it good. It never fails, these will be the first to complain. Lets hope more people have got a clue from last years Florida panhandle hit, and prepare accordingly.

There is no way most areas in it's path are not going to suffer bad, if nothing shifts it's path to a off-shore model. Thoughts and prayers, I'm hoping some relatives will be okay down there.

PS: The Red Cross just sent a volunteer convoy 2 days ago from Las Vegas, with supplies and personal, for the Florida area.
Praying for the best
Agree

House is boarded up, vehicles gassed up, Generator is ready. I have a recovery box with chain saw, straps and other necessities for after storm related issues. Thanks.
Good luck to you - praying for a good outcome for everyone down there!

Bugout80

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Fernando
Last Name
Alvarez
Member #

Actually, you raise a great point -

Praying for the best

Good luck to you - praying for a good outcome for everyone down there!
Miami got spared this time of such a disaster; now it's going up the coast. This concept of being prepared for disasters is the right mindset; first plan on taking care of your own family, then you'll be able to assist others in need.
My plan is to have the new rig ready for traveling to a safe place in case of disaster, and helping others along the way if need be.

Being prepared as much as you can; the rest is up to the higher being above...
God Bless all of us.

Bugout80

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Fernando
Last Name
Alvarez
Member #

You didn't say what kind of a rig you have for SHTF escapes. That would have a lot to do with what I would do.
Questions:
Do you have a snorkel on your rig.
Has your rig height been modified.
Do you have aggressive tires.
Do you have plenty of gas, water, food, clothing etc.
Do you have a winch and tow straps, tools etc.
Do you have a chain saw.
If you don't have all of these things, leave before it gets there or ride it out if you have a safe space like a school or Government buildings or concrete block structures. Right now it looks like it will be a tropical storm but you cant second guess mother nature. I'm sure I have only touched on the subject of evacuation and I hope others will be more helpful. Stay safe

Bugout80

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Fernando
Last Name
Alvarez
Member #

Current Hurricane Dorian is finally gone from our area.
Finally got an official rig for regular adventure trips, and any potential future emergency escapes. '94 Toyota FZJ80 LC.
Lifted, M/T tires but no snorkel yet.
Need a winch and tow straps still.
I'll be ready if/ when the next one comes.

Attachments

Bugout80

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Fernando
Last Name
Alvarez
Member #

Finally got an official rig for regular adventure trips, and any potential future emergency escapes. '94 Toyota FZJ80 LC.
I'll be ready if/ when the next one comes. 20190908_171343.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I'll be ready if/ when the next one comes. View attachment 116636
Good choice, good luck, she's a winner.

Reactions: Bugout80

MrCoffee

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Springfield, Vermont
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
U
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1PMW
You didn't say what kind of a rig you have for SHTF escapes. That would have a lot to do with what I would do.
Questions:
Do you have a snorkel on your rig.
Has your rig height been modified.
Do you have aggressive tires.
Do you have plenty of gas, water, food, clothing etc.
Do you have a winch and tow straps, tools etc.
Do you have a chain saw.
If you don't have all of these things, leave before it gets there or ride it out if you have a safe space like a school or Government buildings or concrete block structures. Right now it looks like it will be a tropical storm but you cant second guess mother nature. I'm sure I have only touched on the subject of evacuation and I hope others will be more helpful. Stay safe
Was thinking about this today. In general I don't have a problem driving any of my rigs in really bad weather, having had to do it for storm work for Asplundh. That being said, something like Irene, or Dorian, I would have to have a really compelling reason to venture out.

Most of your list is a yes, having a "get home bag" and a go kit (ares) but my rigs are basically stock. As I said, I have had to drive in some really really bad weather, and my personal experience has been other drivers pose more of a problem than thenbad road condisitions.

Staying home or getting to a solid shelter is the safest way to go.