Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
If an 8 year old can get their Ham license, then anyone with a drivers license can too.

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
Prerunner1982: Could you elaborate on APRS? I'm interested, but I don't think my current radio has integrated APRS. Is it hardware that can be added or is it software? I am installing a TYT TH-9000D radio and I have a dedicated WIN10 Notebook that I use for navigation and a number of other tasks. APRS software runs on Win10 and it seems that it would be an inexpensive way to avoid expensive cell service hotspots that I would only use a few times per year.

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Prerunner1982: Could you elaborate on APRS? I'm interested, but I don't think my current radio has integrated APRS. Is it hardware that can be added or is it software? I am installing a TYT TH-9000D radio and I have a dedicated WIN10 Notebook that I use for navigation and a number of other tasks. APRS software runs on Win10 and it seems that it would be an inexpensive way to avoid expensive cell service hotspots that I would only use a few times per year.
www.aprs.org

Reactions: CTO1Mike

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

PM sent.
I may work on an APRS thread as well.

A lot of information but not very well organized, especially for someone who is quite new.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
There's a few different ways to go about doing APRS and it really depends on what you want to do with it. FWIW I've rarely been somewhere that didn't have cell service that did have APRS service. It still depends on an external network to get it done.

I use a cheap handheld, a 40 dollar burner phone from Amazon, APRSDROID along with an APRS cable from BTECH and an external vehicle mounted antenna. This gets the job done for what I want to do and have successfully sent text messages and emails using the system.

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Aprs is a function of the radio which needs a TNC for this function. Some radios have a built in tnc, most do not. Radios with working serial ports can have a thc attached and aprs added, but the Chinese radios (like the TYT you have) do not have working external ports even if visually present.
In order for aprs to be useful, your radio needs to be able to transmit and receive packets from within the communication range of your radio so you communicate with people nearby.
Using a laptop/phone/etc with say aprsice or aprsdroid is only useful for people tracking you on web, but does nothing for the people with radios within your comms range as they won't be able to acknowledge your aprs packets in real time. They may get a "whiff" of you if a local igate connected to aprs.fi retransmits your packets but you'll be gone by then.
Aprs is about real-time direct comms radio-to-radio.
I hope I didn't make it more confusing than you already feel it is..

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Oh, one more thing...
You keep reading everywhere that "I can send messages and location updates to my wife over aprs from wherever middle of nowhere even if I have no cell coverage".
That's arguably the biggest BS I've heard coming from the ham community!...
In order for your let's say location to reach the web, your aprs packet transmitted by your radio needs to reach an igate that's connected to internet. What are the chances someone set an igate in the boonies where internet is also nonexistent?
So take that with a big block of salt.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Unless you use a satellite... :smirk: But yes APRS is very much dependent on user provided infrastructure.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Unless you use a satellite... :smirk: But yes APRS is very much dependent on user provided infrastructure.
The ISS has an APRS setup as well. And working it on APRS is pretty simple and easy even with a HT if you get it at a high enough elevation to your position. Don't even have to worry about Doppler shift really on the VHF uplink.

HuddExpo

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado Springs, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0PSF
FWIW I've rarely been somewhere that didn't have cell service that did have APRS service.
Spend time in the remote areas of Colorado and Utah. It may be related to the mountains and canyons, but there are lots of areas with no cell service and APRS repeaters. I have used APRS more times than I can count to text, message, etc. in the last few years. I was in Utah back in September about 70 miles from a highway with no cell service and had no problem hitting the APRS system from my ham. Made texting home along with position beacons very easy.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
"Midland Radio will provide its proven, category-leading MicroMobile and X-Talker GMRS radios to enhance on-trail navigation and communication, as well as event organization." (Jeep Jamboree)

https://midlandusa.com/midland-radio...-jamboree-usa/

Will have to see if this will change Jeep Jamboree's CB recommendation...
Considering both GMRS and Ham have license requirements, it'd be a hard sell to big groups like that...

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Considering both GMRS and Ham have license requirements, it'd be a hard sell to big groups like that...
That is certainly a hurdle. I make weekly probably annoying posts about licensing folks for GMRS in our Jeep Club. I've had absolutely no interest in HAM but I've got a little traction with GMRS. Especially since we have a local repeater that covers a 40+ mile radius around our city.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I was considering putting a CB in my rig a few years back, until someone on Overland Bound convinced me to get my HAM license ... I tested for the technician license one month and went back and tested for the general the next. You can get study books to learn the material, but the best resource to help you prepare for the test are the practice tests at QRZ.

Go to the "Resources" tab (you may have to register at QRZ first, but it's free), and the first link is, "Practice Amateur Radio Exams." The only difference between the practice tests at QRZ and the actual tests you take to qualify for your license is that the answers may be in a different order. The wording of the questions and answers are the same. You can take the practice tests as many times as you look and, when you get an answer wrong, it shows you what the correct answer was. I have posted this information on Overland Bound before, but in a different thread, so sorry for the repeat, but wanted to share the QRZ info, just in case someone is wanting to get their HAM license.

Reactions: Bilbo

Bilbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MBN
From the information that I'm gathering, CB Radios seem to be fading in popularity within overland groups. I heard an interesting quote from Clay at Expedition Overland:
"I do genuinely think that a CB radio is about as effective as a cardboard box"

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
From the information that I'm gathering, CB Radios seem to be fading in popularity within overland groups. I heard an interesting quote from Clay at Expedition Overland:
"I do genuinely think that a CB radio is about as effective as a cardboard box"

I really like the Expedition Overland channel ... a lot of good information there ... and it's fun to watch!