US Comms - An Introduction to your Communication Options

• HTML tutorial

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

From the information that I'm gathering, CB Radios seem to be fading in popularity within overland groups. I heard an interesting quote from Clay at Expedition Overland:
"I do genuinely think that a CB radio is about as effective as a cardboard box"

That's cause he never used one set up properly..
The guy is a snob. He's using $500 d-star icom radios to talk 25ft away truck2truck in FM on frs frequencies. Seen that in his videos. He doesn't even know how to use them properly. What a waste...
I bet they don't all have ham licenses.

Reactions: Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
The guy is a snob. He's using $500 d-star icom radios to talk 25ft away truck2truck in FM on frs frequencies. Seen that in his videos. He doesn't even know how to use them properly. What a waste...
Yeah i unsubscribed from their channel a year ago or so. It almost seems like an exercise in "how much money can you possibly spend" anymore.

I mean geeze at this point they're dragging a whole flatbed trailer for their paramotors.

CB is servicable when setup properly. The vast majority of setups ive seen have poorly located and tuned antennas.

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
Even a properly setup CB pales in usability and range to an entry level mobile 2M, particularly when you start considering the many features CB lacks such as APRS, digital modes and repeaters... all functions we use heavily @ XOverland. I grew up playing with CB’s, but I can’t imagine investing much into something with such limited functionality and range with the better options we have.

-Kurt (ke7fyq)

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
Yeah i unsubscribed from their channel a year ago or so. It almost seems like an exercise in "how much money can you possibly spend" anymore.

I mean geeze at this point they're dragging a whole flatbed trailer for their paramotors.

CB is servicable when setup properly. The vast majority of setups ive seen have poorly located and tuned antennas.
Sorry to hear you’ve unsubscribed but thanks for watching while you did! We have no allusions that the content will be enjoyable/suitable. For those that watch, enjoy and find inspiration, thank you! For those that gave it a try and didn’t get into it for whatever reason, thank you for trying!

Reactions: Itacal

FJTim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Everett, WA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Matthews
Member #

These are always fun threads to read through. That answer today seems like there is no right or wrong answer other than having zero comms. Some people only go out with others who have certain types. Some people don’t want to have several radios cluttering up everything in the vehicle or can’t afford to. As long as you have some sort of vehicle to vehicle connection + a long range reliable way to call for help, I’d say you’re good and should focus on finding your next adventure.

Reactions: M Rose

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
Look at that... I already did an Intro to APRS write up.
Prerunner, thanks for all the info. I like all that I have heard here and I will start reading and learning what I need to implement APRS, GMRS and my CB unless it turns out to be a dud. Hell, I may even get two cans and a long string to carry along on my adventures... if'n this damn virus eventually goes away. :grinning:

Reactions: Prerunner1982