UPDATED: PREWITT RIDGE RD 2/17 -- CLOSED:Bixby/Coast Road 2/17

• HTML tutorial

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Not sure what was happening on 101; but it was a shit show from MoHill all the way to the 156 turnoff to Monterey. Didn’t want to sit in more stop and go traffic so I kept going on 101 all the way to Ft Hunter-Ligett. Currently sitting at the Subway on base eating lunch. Gonna head out for the trail in about 15 coming from the East.

Reactions: infennonlabs

WheelMe

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Soquel, California, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Hung
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6AJR
I guess that we all arrived at different times. I arrived at Chevron at 11:15 or so, and left for Kirk Creek at 11:45 as I didn't think any of you were at the gas station. Arrived at Kirk Creek at about 12:40, and waited till 12:55 before deciding to hit the trail and wait for you all on Prewitt Ridge. After Prewitt Ridge, I did head south on the trail to see if I could complete the loop as per Gaia's route, but came to a locked gate a few miles down which forced me to turn around and take the same way out to SR1. I did see a tan Taco coming up the dirt trail toward Prewitt Ridge - was that you, Scorpio VI? It was probably a bit after 3 PM.

Here's my recorded Gaia track of the trail run today (the locked gate is next to Silver Peak Wilderness, where I had to turn around, and track ends):

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/c8JLZVkcihNBElQW0Dy8t4V6

Last edited:

JeepWave

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Broomfield, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Hutchins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0EMH
I guess that we all arrived at different times. ... After Prewitt Ridge, I did head south on the trail to see if I could complete the loop as per Gaia's route, but came to a locked gate a few miles down which forced me to turn around and take the same way out to SR1. I did see a tan Taco coming up the dirt trail toward Prewitt Ridge - was that you, Scorpio VI? It was probably a bit after 3 PM.
I encountered the same locked gate when I tried to complete the loop. That was around 4:45pm. Had to turn around, but at least I saw a beautiful sunset from one of the turnoffs.

It was fun to meet up with @willnicks, @ScorpioVI, @2003DiscoII, and @SuperLuke! Sorry I missed some of you—we’ll have to meet another time!

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

I did see a tan Taco coming up the dirt trail toward Prewitt Ridge - was that you, Scorpio VI? It was probably a bit after 3 PM.

Yea you pulled over for me right? Pretty sure I saw that rig in your avatar.

Sorry I didn't get to wheel and hang with you guys for long. I did end up spending the night at the ridge and was treated to a spectacular sunset and sunrise, but I definitely picked the wrong weekend to be up there. My next door neighbors were pretty chill but the others up there could use a refresher on wilderness etiquette.

Anyways, here some pics:

infennonlabs

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Easter weekend (3/30 Friday to 4/1 Sunday) I was planning on going up to Mendocino National Forest and camp at Lake Pillsbury and try for Hull Mountain. Going up the Ukiah side and staying on that side for the weekend. Lemme know if anyone is interested. Will probably post a real thread when I finalize route etc.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using OB Talk mobile app

Ohhhgeee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona de Tucson, Arizona, United States
First Name
Oscar
Last Name
Guerrero
Member #

Shared route
From n39 05.457 w120 57.039 to Knee Deep Brewing Company via Iowa Hill Rd.

1 hr 44 min (38 mi)
1 hr 44 min in current traffic

1. Head southeast on Iowa Hill Rd toward Fowler Ave
2. Turn right to stay on Iowa Hill Rd
3. Turn left to stay on Iowa Hill Rd
4. Sharp right to stay on Iowa Hill Rd
5. Arrive at location: 27300 Big Dipper Rd
6. Head southeast on Big Dipper Rd toward Adelia Hill Rd
7. Turn right onto Shirt Tail Canyon Rd
8. Arrive at location: 2680 Kings Hill Rd
9. Head west on Kings Hill Rd toward Shirt Tail Canyon Rd
10. Turn left onto Shirt Tail Canyon Rd
11. Turn right to stay on Shirt Tail Canyon Rd
12. Arrive at location: Shirt Tail Canyon Rd
13. Head southeast on Shirt Tail Canyon Rd toward Yankee Jims Rd
14. Turn right onto Yankee Jims Rd
15. Arrive at location: Yankee Jims Rd
16. Head southwest on Yankee Jims Rd toward Gillis Hill Rd
17. Arrive at location: 402-498 Yankee Jims Rd
18. Head west on Yankee Jims Rd toward Canyon Way
19. Slight right onto Canyon Way
20. Turn left toward S Auburn St
21. Turn left onto S Auburn St
22. Turn left onto the I-80 W ramp
23. Merge onto I-80 W
24. Take exit 123 for Bell Rd
25. Turn right onto Bell Rd
26. Turn right onto New Airport Rd
27. Turn left
28. Turn right
29. Arrive at location: Knee Deep Brewing Company (wet the whistle)

For the best route in current traffic visit https://goo.gl/maps/BViY3tzRgMM2

Sent from my Nexus 9 using OB Talk mobile app
Went on your shared route today. Been there a few times before but had never been to Knee Deep. Thanks for sharing, hope my pictures will inspire someone else to go. For anyone thinking about going this trip is super easy, 75% paved and 25% maintained gravel roads. Any stock rig can handle this, might be a different story on a really wet year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infennonlabs

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Went on your shared route today. Been there a few times before but had never been to Knee Deep. Thanks for sharing, hope my pictures will inspire someone else to go. For anyone thinking about going this trip is super easy, 75% paved and 25% maintained gravel roads. Any stock rig can handle this, might be a different story on a really wet year.

Nice photos. I'm jealous. I didn't get to make it out on Sunday like I planned. Was it cold?

Ohhhgeee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Oscar
Last Name
Guerrero
Member #

Nice photos. I'm jealous. I didn't get to make it out on Sunday like I planned. Was it cold?

Yeah, you definitely have to get out there. I started at Colfax at 1pm and was at the brewery by 4:05. That’s also with me stopping to take pictures. You could definitely sleep in and still have time to go out there. Temp was probably high 40’s low 50’s, nothing too crazy. Surprisingly my 2016 Frontier doesn’t have a temp display or else I would have known exact temps.

infennonlabs

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Yeah, you definitely have to get out there. I started at Colfax at 1pm and was at the brewery by 4:05. That’s also with me stopping to take pictures. You could definitely sleep in and still have time to go out there. Temp was probably high 40’s low 50’s, nothing too crazy. Surprisingly my 2016 Frontier doesn’t have a temp display or else I would have known exact temps.

Figured it would have been colder with snow coming down in Tahoe

Ohhhgeee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Oscar
Last Name
Guerrero
Member #

Figured it would have been colder with snow coming down in Tahoe

Message me if you have any other routes you’re willing to share. Don’t know any out here, would like to get out and explore some more. Thanks again!

WheelMe

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Soquel, California, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Hung
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6AJR
Hey ScorpioVI, I guess that we did meet each other on the trail to Prewitt, just in passing; yes, that was me. We'll meet again soon, I'm sure. Awesome photos, by the way.

So we have two proposed trips on Easter weekend (Mendo and Pismo)? Unfortunately I can't do those as I'm heading down to Death Valley for three days on the following Monday with the family (my first time!). I'm hoping to learn the area so as to organize a trip in the autumn or spring of next year.

In the meantime, how about a day trip to Hollister Hills? Saturday March 17th would be a good day for me; if there's some interest, I'll start a new thread. I've been to HH a few times with the Nissan club, and it has always been fun. Attached is a photo of me being too ambitious, and having to back out of a boggy mess (note the Jeep gloating after having made it across successfully). That pit is probably bone-dry right now.

And a couple more, going up the "steps":