Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Ok I’ve been searching for a while but I can’t tell where I’m to go to request. Can you make the link public?
Search Overland Bound Rocky Mountain on Facebook. I believe they require you to request access to the page once you click on it. Let me know if that doesn’t work

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Ladies and gents, recommend that we use the forum to start planning out February’s meetup. I think the tentative plan will be to still run a monthly meetup, but I also know that some trips are coming up that people wanted to talk about.
I know we’ve been very focused on the Colorado Springs area for trails so far and I appreciate those from outside of the area coming and joining us. Do we want to stay centric to COS next month as well, or does everyone want to branch out a little bit? Pass on your trail ideas if you have them!

FR33DOM

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
McLeish
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W1MMC
Service Branch
USAF
Ladies and gents, recommend that we use the forum to start planning out February’s meetup. I think the tentative plan will be to still run a monthly meetup, but I also know that some trips are coming up that people wanted to talk about.
I know we’ve been very focused on the Colorado Springs area for trails so far and I appreciate those from outside of the area coming and joining us. Do we want to stay centric to COS next month as well, or does everyone want to branch out a little bit? Pass on your trail ideas if you have them!
Sounds good to me. I'm probably going to be able to attend more local ones around the springs but do hope to get to some of the classic rides in Colorado this year as well. We are also planning on going back to the Great Sand Dunes this summer (likely July) so I was thinking of putting up a rally point for that if anyone wants to come down and camp and/or do Medano Pass and explore around there a bit...

Reactions: HuddExpo

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Even though I'm one of the ones who have to travel down south, I would suggest that down south for February. I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the trail down there. I know that when I ran the trail up north on New Years day it was way to sketchy for unexpieranced. I know I'm from out of your area, but I like driving my Xj for a distance like that because it is not my daily (kind of shake the cobwebs off) and I really like the area. (If my house wasn't so perfect for me and my wife I would move!). What does everyone else think? Thanks! David

Reactions: Fortis Overland

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Sounds good to me. I'm probably going to be able to attend more local ones around the springs but do hope to get to some of the classic rides in Colorado this year as well. We are also planning on going back to the Great Sand Dunes this summer (likely July) so I was thinking of putting up a rally point for that if anyone wants to come down and camp and/or do Medano Pass and explore around there a bit...
Sounds good. Maybe we stay centric to COS while the weather is still cold, then we can explore beyond when we're able to start making full day or multi day trips.

I'm going to throw something on the calendar for our next meetup with a tentative trail choice, and we can discuss as a group what that looks like.

Reactions: DzrtShamrock

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I wouldnt mind to stay closer to Denver and avoid the 2h drive :grinning: but looks like the majority of people is from COS so it makes sense stay in that area for now. I will take some time to research some new trail option for the next meetup.
Do we already have a date scheduled? I will probably be out the weekend 22-23, so my vote goes to 15-16 or 29-1. Maybe we can have a poll and let everyone vote?

@Fortis Overland do you have already set up a Rally Point?

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

I wouldnt mind to stay closer to Denver and avoid the 2h drive :grinning: but looks like the majority of people is from COS so it makes sense stay in that area for now. I will take some time to research some new trail option for the next meetup.
Do we already have a date scheduled? I will probably be out the weekend 22-23, so my vote goes to 15-16 or 29-1. Maybe we can have a poll and let everyone vote?

@Fortis Overland do you have already set up a Rally Point?
I don’t have one scheduled yet. I’ll throw something up soon so we can see what dates work for everyone. February is going to be a tough month for me also,

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Carlos, if this group continues to grow and we have enough of us from the Denver (metropolitan) area that are going to be consistantly attending, we may Organize a Denver group. It is just that I have tried to go to meetings in our area (3 separate meetings) and most of those meetings didn't go beyond the meetings. The reason I even joined OB was to go on more than day trip in the hills. I have a 4x4 club for that. And I'm not knocking us doing trail runs at all, it is a great way to get to know people and learn what you and your rig needs to improve on. 7 years ago I remember how much of a rookie I was in my abilities and maturity (still a working on both!). Each day I learn something about myself and others we are with, when we are actually in our vehicles out exploring. You really can't do that sitting at the coffee shop.
That is why when you guys and gals from the Springs started getting serious about doing more and more I'm all for that.

On that note; been discussing things with my wife and we are planning to go to June Jam and also a trip down to the San Juan's in July.
We have decided that 16th through the 19th instead of 23rd to the 26th. (she doesn't want to be traveling home on her birthday). I will work on a tentative itinerary. And start a Rally Point. I am worried about if it is the same week as the FJ summit. If it is we'll have to figure things out. The area is big enough.

If there is enough interest we could have a sit down to work out an agenda that would be acceptable for everyone. We kind of have an agenda of what we want to do already.

mountainrecce

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, CO 80920, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0VGV
Carlos, if this group continues to grow and we have enough of us from the Denver (metropolitan) area that are going to be consistantly attending, we may Organize a Denver group. It is just that I have tried to go to meetings in our area (3 separate meetings) and most of those meetings didn't go beyond the meetings. The reason I even joined OB was to go on more than day trip in the hills. I have a 4x4 club for that. And I'm not knocking us doing trail runs at all, it is a great way to get to know people and learn what you and your rig needs to improve on. 7 years ago I remember how much of a rookie I was in my abilities and maturity (still a working on both!). Each day I learn something about myself and others we are with, when we are actually in our vehicles out exploring. You really can't do that sitting at the coffee shop.
That is why when you guys and gals from the Springs started getting serious about doing more and more I'm all for that.

On that note; been discussing things with my wife and we are planning to go to June Jam and also a trip down to the San Juan's in July.
We have decided that 16th through the 19th instead of 23rd to the 26th. (she doesn't want to be traveling home on her birthday). I will work on a tentative itinerary. And start a Rally Point. I am worried about if it is the same week as the FJ summit. If it is we'll have to figure things out. The area is big enough.

If there is enough interest we could have a sit down to work out an agenda that would be acceptable for everyone. We kind of have an agenda of what we want to do already.
We were up on the Alpine Loop last year for 4 days during the FJ Summit. It was not an issue as long as you are staying out in the boonies.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I’m also looking forward to multi days trips as I still haven’t a chance to camp here in Colorado since I moved :nomouth:
I got already 4 overseas trip planned this year but hopefully some dates will work for me as well.

Going back to the next meeting, I wouldn’t mind is any of you guys running a winch could give us a brief demo on the basica on how to use it. I read stuff online and watched video but a live demo would be great!

Reactions: JDGreens

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

We were up on the Alpine Loop last year for 4 days during the FJ Summit. It was not an issue as long as you are staying out in the boonies.

I got to thinking that I don't want to go down there and have to avoid Ouray or anywhere else that could be overrun by 25 rigs taking over the trail we just happen to be on, because I really want anyone who go to have the best chance of having a great time down there, The town of Ouray was where we went one our first trip to the area. And is one of the main reasons we want to go back. Since we are off both weeks and her only request of me is to be home by Saturday evening so we can celebrate her birthday on the 26th. With our kids, I think we will try to go Wenesday July 22nd through Saturday July 25, I think that actually would be better because the summit is on the weekend before and we would also avoid most of the weekend crowds.

Anyways I will go over our intentions at our next meeting for everyone to consider. I think that everyone that loves doing this must add this area to thier bucket list, if I could I would go once a year.

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

All, new Rally Point is on the calendar.

It is currently lacking a trail or general plan. I need to ask for some help on this one as I will most likely not be able to attend due to our baby being due at that time. Is there anyone that wants to lead the charge? If I'm able to tag along I will, but chances are unlikely.

Rally Point

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Praying all goes well for
All, new Rally Point is on the calendar.

It is currently lacking a trail or general plan. I need to ask for some help on this one as I will most likely not be able to attend due to our baby being due at that time. Is there anyone that wants to lead the charge? If I'm able to tag along I will, but chances are unlikely.

Rally Point
Praying all goes well for your family.

Reactions: Fortis Overland

RedRunner87

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Torres
Thanks Ryan. What about Schubarth Loop ? Has anyone done it before? It should be easy/medium but then it depends on how much snow there will be.
It looks quite long so we can just do a part of it or try do all and maybe take a lunch break halfway through.
I did Schubarth a few weeks ago and it is pretty easy. You can see the pictures in my build thread. Some ice hills were challenging, and there was one rock section, but there is a bypass for it. Overall easy/moderate trail.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Schubarth trail is pretty easy for average size rigs, but there are areas that are even tighter than the trail last week, it's a neat trail for sure. And maybe a good place to demonstrate how to use a winch. There are some pretty cool spures off Mnt Herman road as well. That would prove to be excellent for winch'n . I think mnt herman was my first snow wheeling trail. (5yrs ago)