First Name
Chad
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0VGV
Yes I have the Gaia app on my phone.
Weird... i was trying to replicate on my phone, but I already had the route there, so not sure I am getting the same result. If yo open the saved items in your phone’s Gaia, can make sure that route name is “showing” on the map? It would be the little eye icon and it should be green if showing on the map... just a thought.

Vanehiem

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Carson
Last Name
Vowles
Member #

Well I jumped the gun... I told the wife of the event and she reminded me of other adulting obligations we made.

:(
So I will see you guys next month, have fun!

Reactions: Fortis Overland

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Hey guys, I’ve been struggling getting in contact with an actual person with Pike National Forest to confirm that the road is open for our use. If anyone beats me to the punch, please update this thread and we can update our trail if required. Phone number is in the image attached. I’ll try again tomorrow
A5E6D61D-2C7F-4CD5-96DD-9DAD122E193C.png

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Not sure if we want to make an OB event out of this, especially for those that are new to off-roading.
I think that even if we don't make it an OB event, it might be a good thing for anyone who want to check it out. From what I gather Toy-Tec. Is a pretty reputable shop and quit a few of our group are running toyotas and thats a bonus to check the shop out as well. I have to say though I would rather have a regular trail-run /meet-up/OB-trip planning meeting every month so we can work towards a trip or two this year. I have found out a couple times that it would have been better to have hashed out details for the trip in person (at least the core people) so that the the expectation of what we are going to try to do during trip is understood. Input even by someone who can't attend can help with insight to help make the experience better.

I have done a couple of trips that would have been so much better with a meeting, rather than planning it over the net.

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Team, I just spoke with the Pike NF and Dakan Road is officially closed until April. My first thought is to push the trail ride to either Rainbow Falls or Schubarth Loop. Any other opinions?

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Yeah can't remember off hand
So went ahead and got my book out. The trail area is actually larger then I have explored. The trails consist of Illinois gulch, Missouri gulch and little Moab hill. So many will refer to the as any of them. It is listed in the Fun Treks book, page 192.

Last edited:

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Kind of making an executive decision on this one due to the timeline of tomorrow’s meetup. I’m going to change the Rally Point to Rainbow Falls since it’s easy to get to, has a large meetup area at the beginning, and has multiple routes to explore. Please everyone keep your eye out for an update to the rally point.

Reactions: JDGreens

mountainrecce

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, CO 80920, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0VGV
Kind of making an executive decision on this one due to the timeline of tomorrow’s meetup. I’m going to change the Rally Point to Rainbow Falls since it’s easy to get to, has a large meetup area at the beginning, and has multiple routes to explore. Please everyone keep your eye out for an update to the rally point.
We have some family things going on and Rainbow Falls is a ways out. We will try to make it, but may not be able to. I will try to let you know this evening.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I think that's a better choice anyways as the other trail is pretty tight in sections and bigger rigs might have some trouble if it's icy.
9:00 am. At the trailhead. Is good for me.

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Team, for anyone unfamiliar with Rainbow Falls, follow the link below to learn a little more. Don't let the medium difficulty scare you away from this trail. A stock SUV can do this. There are also multiple off shoots on this trail if we decide to take an easier path.

Rainbow Falls