Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
In a bit of a quandry - instead of updating my 2017 Wrangler's non-touch-screen head unit to a touch screen I bought an iPad Pro for navigation and to serve up music to the head unit. This is not going as smoothly as I had hoped for... The center console allows me to stream music from the iPad but does not provide enough current to charge. Next option is to buy a compatible cigarette lighter charging adapter and use Bluetooth to stream. This morning I was able to pair the iPad to the head unit but found that Bluetooth streaming would not work :( I guess I could charge with a cig lighter adapter (and not stream) and then connect to the center console USB to stream (and not charge). I need to look into a few things that might fix the Bluetooth issue but that would not be my first choice. Was hoping to find a "USB-C upgrad kit" for the center console but am not finding anything.

Anybody have some wisdom to offer?

Thanks!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I say headphone jack and input
I know that the lightning connector devices can break headphone out of the lightning connector (no headphone jack on my device). Will see if there is similar USB-C doo-dad that does the same. Thanks!
The reason that I would rather go with the console USB is that it should allow for control of the iPad from the head unit and steering wheel controls. Hmmm, maybe I'll homebrew something ;)

Reactions: 94Cruiser

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Update, have a solution... Read a bit on the internet and found others were having same issue and a possible fix that worked for me (Bluetooth issue). After getting Bluetooth working I went ahead and ordered an Anker regular usb + usb c cigarette lighter power adapter and some new usb c cables for the Jeep. Found a three pack of cables in different lengths so I have a long one (10 ft) for the house and shorter one (3ft) for the Jeep. Just need Ram to start shipping their iPad Pro 11 roller holder (have one for iPad 2 and like it). Not sure if Bluetooth will allow iPad control from Jeep head unit/steering wheel like direct usb connection but that is not a deal breaker.

If you are able to pair but having some issue with Bluetooth playback try this. Unpair your device from the head unit - in my case I had new and old iPads paired so removed both. Then re-pair the device and the head unit. Upon pairing the iPad will ask if you want to sync contacts, etc., with the head unit - the correct answer is “Don’t Allow”. After doing the pair in this manner I was able to stream music successfully. Still need to see if I get iPad control but it was late and I was tired and happy to have tunes!

for what it is worth I spoke with a true Apple fanboy buddy of mine and he told me that when iPad says “Not Charging” when connected to low power charger it is often charging, but very slowly.

SoCalGX

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Not 100% sure it would work, but you might try a splitter like this one for charging from lighter plus connecting to head unit:

USB C Splitter, HiMusic 2 in 1 USB Type C Male to USB C Audio&Charging Converter Adapter and Stereo USB C Earphone Dongle Compatible with Google Pixel 3/3 XL, Huawei Mate 20 Pro and More(White)

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Not 100% sure it would work, but you might try a splitter like this one for charging from lighter plus connecting to head unit:

USB C Splitter, HiMusic 2 in 1 USB Type C Male to USB C Audio&Charging Converter Adapter and Stereo USB C Earphone Dongle Compatible with Google Pixel 3/3 XL, Huawei Mate 20 Pro and More(White)
Thanks! Will check it out. For now Bluetooth is working! Have to run errand in a bit and will try tunes + Gaia GPS out on the drive.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Bluetooth tunes and steering wheel control of iPad music works! Kind of slow response to change tracks but works!

Reactions: SoCalGX