Advocate III

United Kingdom, England, Essex.
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Chaps,

is there ever any meet ups for us UK overlanders? I know its a bit more difficult for us than our friends on the other side of the pond as wild camping is frowned upon..and locations aren't as vast and remote... be interested to hear your thoughts on a meet.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Chaps,

is there ever any meet ups for us UK overlanders? I know its a bit more difficult for us than our friends on the other side of the pond as wild camping is frowned upon..and locations aren't as vast and remote... be interested to hear your thoughts on a meet.
There are entries for many of the UK Shows in the calendar. Some of us thought this might be a good way to meet up as many will travel to these. Might be a good opportunity for us to discuss ideas for separate meet-ups too.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/uk-billing-offroad-show-28-30-july.6983/
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/uk-lro-peterborough-16-17-sept-17.6982/
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/uk-adventure-overland-show-2017-meetup.6688/
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/uk-great-british-land-rover-show-26th-november-17.6984/

Last edited:

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Chaps,

It is something we are trying to work on, but as Tim has mentioned we have setup some dates which are the UK shows which I'm sure people would like to meet up at

We are open to suggestions as to where would be good for meetup outside of show days ect [emoji5]️

Sent from my VKY-L09 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: CTDiscovery and Tim

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Chaps,

, brecon beacons
Yorkshire moors / north or south
Bodmin moors
Snowdownia
Challenge ill take any one blind fold you and take you to any one of the above drop you in the middle TRY WALKING OUT

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Overlanding. Is what you make it. Exploring Your enviroment This little groupe of islands has wilderness you need to find it , overlanding takes all forms of exploration wether your travel to africa or the americas there are i am afraid very few un explored places BUT IF YOU ! Have never been there before thats exploration Why have a gps if you want to explore lol For me drive to wilderness = map compass walk and explore , my bucket list
Moab
Berliz
Peru
Argentina
Patogonia
Austrialia
Till then this little place still has places i have not explored by road and by foot
Wild camping is just that Boundrys are man made if they dont know you have been the there you have broke no law " Stealth "

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Exmoor offers coastal, moorland, and plenty of quiet wooded valleys.
Andy There are beaches , valleys throught the uk Moors mountins etc If you judge wilderness by the people you meet or see i know places were you can go unseen for as long as you want lol. Overland driving Into wildernes is a controdiction in terms in the uk allthough there are still tracks and paths Unused were 4x4 can roam resonabley
Undetected , By the very nature of travel In modern modes of tranport surrounde d by stoves fridges etc. We are bringing the very thing were running from with us lol
A truck a tarp a mat and bag , rough it now theres my escape

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

We are a like short on true wilderness in the UK. So the best definition I can come up with for the UK is wilderness is a place without phone signal. For me culture and heritage are as an important part of overlanding as landscape and wildlife. We all need a good tea room.

Reactions: CTDiscovery

Yellow

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cornwall, UK
Member #

I think I just got you beat Keith, sorry! Down near Falmouth, so events are equally far away for me, perhaps we should get our own little SW meet going...

Plenty of amazing places to explore in the UK, we just don't have the outrageous expanses like over the pond - it doesn't make it any less amazing to get out there though.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
We are a like short on true wilderness in the UK. So the best definition I can come up with for the UK is wilderness is a place without phone signal. For me culture and heritage are as an important part of overlanding as landscape and wildlife. We all need a good tea room.
Lol phone signal that could be in the middle of london depending on your provider We might not have the gobi dersert and the. Rainforests of austrailia but it here are still. Amazing places Let your truck run out of fule up in the highlands if you want to experience wilderness lol

Reactions: somerset-andy

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

with regards to phone signal, it doesn't matter if there is one, just don't feel the need to be a teenager and pick up your phone every 30 seconds. Be sensible and have your phone with you (fully charged) for emergency use. There are a huge number of people who can't read maps or even follow road signs as their reliance on Sat Navs has diminished those simple skills.

on a different subject, welcome to @Yellow to the team. I'll happily pass on the title of "most Southern UK member" once your membership details are published. I was down in Falmouth a couple of months ago. it's been ages since I was there last. So what's your "Rig of choice" (don't forget - it doesn't matter what you drive).

Reactions: blackntan

Yellow

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cornwall, UK
Member #

Cheers Keith, I've got a 4 door wrangler, love it. Has a few upgrades, but always more in the pipeline.
I'm actually just over the river on the Roseland, we don't do mobile signal down here very well so perhaps I'm in the wilderness...

Reactions: Tim and CTDiscovery

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Cheers Keith, I've got a 4 door wrangler, love it. Has a few upgrades, but always more in the pipeline.
I'm actually just over the river on the Roseland, we don't do mobile signal down here very well so perhaps I'm in the wilderness...
My "rig" of choice is my beloved Defender 90 (as per my profile pic). I'v spent a fair amount on upgrades and extras. I got myself some practically new wheels which are currently havino some knobbly boots fitted. I'll pick them up on Saturday. My wish list for stuff is getting longer and longer. I'm tempted to get a new "lockable" cubby box and a CB to house inside as my next purchase. The problem I have is "the wife" isn't on the same wavelength when it comes to Overlanding.

Mike King

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kent UK
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

unfortunately most wives have a different agenda, say I want some new carpets and they think lounge, bedroom etc, new cabinet to them translates as "new Kitchen" the last thing on their mind is your 4x4.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

unfortunately most wives have a different agenda, say I want some new carpets and they think lounge, bedroom etc, new cabinet to them translates as "new Kitchen" the last thing on their mind is your 4x4.
each time I get something for my 90, the response I get is "why do you need one of those?"

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

Lol phone signal that could be in the middle of london depending on your provider We might not have the gobi dersert and the. Rainforests of austrailia but it here are still. Amazing places Let your truck run out of fule up in the highlands if you want to experience wilderness lol
Off to the highlands and islands this time next week for 3 or 4 weeks. London on the other hand is too.............expensive, it's £100 a day to LR into London.